Fat Joe as a kid

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
That was a hypothetical question using myself instead of my spouse.
He considers himself African American because his parents are Ghanaian but he was born in Venezuela before they moved to USA and got citizenship.

These are strawman arguments. I know a woman who was born in Venezuela to Italian parents. With that said most people identify with their country of origin and the ethnic group. Hispanics or ethnic groups that go across racial lines. Most of them do not identify as black even if they are of partial or majority African ancestry. The subject should just be left alone they are not blacks no matter how much “black blood” they have in them.

Counter Racist Male

Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
We accept other “cultures” living side by side with us calling us slurs (and each other) that shyt should be a dub. My dad was hella old school southern and hated that word, but growing up in NY it rolls off the tongue a lot. It’s a slur, it shouldn’t even be used. Fat Joe ain’t black, he grew up in the mud in the South Bronx and faced similar issues and grew up side by side with black folks but he know he’s not black. Black Spanish folks don’t have the luxury of stepping in and out of blackness or equating it to the ghetto. Some black folks grew up solidly middle and upper class and yet some black folks clown them but yuck it up with Fat Joes. :unimpressed:

I think the thing is that it’s a new day and things have to change. Latinos have changed. Black people don’t have the same relationship with other Latino groups as they do Puerto Ricans. And even though it was mostly Nuyorican or tri-state Puerto Ricans that had somewhat of a relationship with Black people and even that was overplayed.

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
These are strawman arguments. I know a woman who was born in Venezuela to Italian parents. With that said most people identify with their country of origin and the ethnic group. Hispanics or ethnic groups that go across racial lines. Most of them do not identify as black even if they are of partial or majority African ancestry. The subject should just be left alone they are not blacks no matter how much “black blood” they have in them.

My husband's definitely not most. His parents instilled his African heritage in him.:heh: we had a traditional Ghanaian wedding. I didnt want to at first but Im glad I did it. It was very powerful and emotional seeing my southern black family,who mostly didnt care about their heritage,dressed in African robes.And the pics I get to show my grandkids:banderas:

He almost never talks of Venezuela until he needs to present his birth certificate for something.

Counter Racist Male

Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
My husband's definitely not most. His parents instilled his African heritage in him.:heh: we had a traditional Ghanaian wedding. I didnt want to at first but Im glad I did it. It was very powerful and emotional seeing my southern black family,who mostly didnt care about their heritage,dressed in African robes.And the pics I get to show my grandkids:banderas:

He almost never talks of Venezuela until he needs to present his birth certificate for something.

Miss, his lineage it’s not in Venezuela. That’s probably why he identifies as black. Take someone who is Afro mixed but born and raised in Venezuela with a Venezuelan lineage and see how they identify. Let’s not play stupid here.

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
Miss, his lineage it’s not in Venezuela. That’s probably why he identifies as black. Take someone who is Afro mixed but born and raised in Venezuela with a Venezuelan lineage and see how they identify. Let’s not play stupid here.

Ok you win. Not going back and forth. I was talking specifically about our experience not everyone else's. I can't speak for everyone else. Just my family and I. He doesnt consider himself Venezuelan but others in his situation might.

Last edited:

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Some racism yall get is just a result of looking like us. this whole "whites all see us the same" is not all the way true if not is completely false. Infact many whites saw nonados as the good kind and some do now.

yeah thats what someone says when they can't refute a point, quit cappin.

nikka foh, only ADOS have a right to it. You sound like a cac on some "either all people say it or no one uses it"

My "criteria" is no more asinine than you nikkas saying people cannot say a word because of the color of their skin and "race when they could always say it behind your back, at home etc.:mjlol:

i agree "nonblacks" shouldnt say it, but neither should nonados. I am also not someone who is trying to be controlling on who can say it. But I just want to point out and highlight that Nonados are in no better leverage on saying the word "nikka" than some nonblacks are.

At the end of the day, IDGAF who says it:yeshrug: you as a nonados(or whatever you are) or any nonblack can say it for all i care, Im just saying what I feel has to be said, and offer a peerspective that gets drowned out its a forum afterall
Lol, well this is a new hot take. The circle getting so small it gonna become a period. And that's the end

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
What type of Jamaicans do you meet? Smh some of you are some real life weirdos, lying and exaggerating on the net, to fit in, weird people.

I know a lot of Jamaicans personally and there are some that say that but i haven't encountered that very much