Facebook acquired Oculus Rift for $2 billion

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Why did facebook buy this company seriously??? What is the long term goal?

it must be a long term goal because the average Facebook user doesn't have the hardware. I still think VR is going to need games and gamers to really gain traction

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
isn't this basically the point of kickstarter? fund something so it can get off the ground, and eventually become more mainstream. it seems people are just butthurt because they don't like Facebook being involved. if a company Valve decided to buy OR, everyone would be calling it a 'win'
Fund something to try and release it, this whole thing feels like they just wanted to show proof of concept and then sell. Seems a little disingenuous to me.

As far as Facebook buying? Feels like a power move to not allow google or another competitor to buy

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its clear the kickstarter was for marketing purposes.. these kats had money investors and connections prior to that. Folks are mad they got used but thats the risks with crowd funding.. you never really know who your dealing with.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I own an oculus rift and it's irrefutable after you try it that this shyt is a gold mine. 5 seconds and you're sucked into a world you know is fake but somehow still fools your senses. Horror games are unlike anything you've ever played and actually makes you question if we are even ready for this technology. Overall, I'm not surprised in this acquisition at all.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I'm not sure why the devs hate Facebook. Can someone fill me in. What has Zuckerberg done with FB to make everyone hate him so much? Instagram is doing great. As far as i can tell, FB hasn't changed Instagram at all. I can't be that FB sells data because EVERYONE does that. The internet is NOT private. I'm not sure what the fuss is. Probably 90% of the kickstarters main goal is to sell off thier startup to the highest bidder like Myspace, IG, etc:yeshrug:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Did Oculus Rift scam its kickstarter supporters.

Will kickstarters of the future ask for an equity stake in products they help fund

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain
RGjeNsH.png

:gladbron:....:dead:

:dead: at did you just legit reply to yourself. HAHAHAHAHAHA

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
:pachaha:But, but, but I thought Microsoft was gonna buy Oculus Rift.
Why would they do that when they have there own thing, and much further along too :heh:
Wow. Dunno what their plan is with it. Doubt it involves anything with core gaming though.

:camby:
They are planning on dropping there own gaming system as well :hula:
Sony has $151 billion in assets, that's more than Microsoft and Google. Facebook isn't even close to any of those three and damn sure can't buy it. I swear, dudes underestimate how big of a company Sony really is (which is part of their ongoing financial problems, but that's another story)
:dahell:

You are like the dumbest nikka in foolsville
I never said Sony had that much money, I know they struggling. All I was saying is that all their assets (all the industries/companies/properties that fall under them) are worth a grip. And a company like FB can't blatantly buy a larger company like Sony. Microsoft, Google and Apple... more than likely, they all have crazy cash reserves, but not Facebook.

Anyway, this is going to probably turn into a stan war if I don't stop. Back to the subject.

*dead* @ reddit astroturfers
I enjoyed reading your little rant with yourself. Aight, carry on :mjlol:

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
I think people are overreacting(as usual when these "controversies" pop up). Having that much money behind them can only be a good thing for OR.

do you want to put your oculus on and have facebook constantly trying to sync your profile to the headset?

my big problem is i dont want it to be connected to anything except what i want, mostly games and the internet, not any social media.

2 billion just got facebook, instagram and whatsapp and whatever else they own premium space on the oculus rift OS.

im sure it wont be really intrusive but just intrusive enough...

i'd rather only connect my psn to morpheus and wait to d/l a facebook app IF i decide to get it, i won't though.