Ezekiel 25:17 ...When I Lay My Vengeance Upon Thee - Official 2016 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
what do you think should be our main pass coverage this year? I'm comparing that game by game breakdown on the chart to the schedule and in the overhwelming majority of the biggest point outputs (Atl, Phil, NO, NE, GB) we were getting torched out of cover 1. I would like to get in some cover 2 man or cover 1 with Byron in the center field. It's not the man coverage that really concerns me (outside of Carr) its the YAC, I'm still not sold we have the physical sure-tackling corners you need to run good man coverage
Ideally the Cover 3 scheme is what's popular now b/c it's the most balanced run/pass philosophy. It gives a little more help to the passing D, rather than the run - but we don't really have to deal w/ strong running attacks in the NFCE. The problem is you need really intelligent corners to run it. Like Sturm said they have to be able to play man concepts while playing zone or else you're going to get dinked and dunked all day. I don't think we have enough speed at the safety position to play Cover 2. I could be wrong about BJ, but I'm just not sold yet. It's sickening that they've tried to play that Tampa 2 with Wilcox and Church. You can see in those gifs how slow they are to react.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The problem with our defense isn't necessarily the coverages, it's the pass rush.

Doesn't matter how well you line-up and cover, nobody's DBs can stick to NFL caliber WRs for as long as we expect them to. QBs feel no pressure against us and are able to maintain total composure and poise and calmly work through their progressions against us.

There were AT LEAST 10-15 plays last year, if not more, where the QB had no options within the first 3 seconds of the snap and drop back. But instead of being sacked, flushed out, or forced into a questionable decision, they can just hold on a little longer and find an open guy.

Imagine if we could end 1 more opponent drive a game. A drive that usually goes on to score a FG or TD on us.

Also, Marinelli and whoever else is gameplanning never EVER work to take away the opposing QB's weapons. We never double, we never shade coverage, we never give a WR different looks. Just look at the historic moments and performances Calvin Johnson has had against us. Desean Jacjson. Julio Jones last year. As fans, we KNOW what's coming. But our coordinators and coaches are content with "more of the same" and smiling and yelling GOOD JOB-, GOOD EFFORT to our players.

Seemingly the only WRs we've been able to somewhat contain are Cruz and Odell.

The stale, conservative approach on offense is matched on defense. We just have a lot of talent on offense that can mask it. The defense doesn't have that luxury...

Also, our DBs mostly suck to begin with anyways. :scusthov:

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Ideally the Cover 3 scheme is what's popular now b/c it's the most balanced run/pass philosophy. It gives a little more help to the passing D, rather than the run - but we don't really have to deal w/ strong running attacks in the NFCE. The problem is you need really intelligent corners to run it. Like Sturm said they have to be able to play man concepts while playing zone or else you're going to get dinked and dunked all day. I don't think we have enough speed at the safety position to play Cover 2. I could be wrong about BJ, but I'm just not sold yet. It's sickening that they've tried to play that Tampa 2 with Wilcox and Church. You can see in those gifs how slow they are to react.
Man i was looking at the gifs from the atlanta game with the same reaction like how the hell did we trot out a Church/wilcox duo for a whole season and how did anyone think it was a good idea :mindblown: so far Byron has shown to be an athlete (i still say he doesnt look as fast or explosive game speed as his combine stats suggest but the folks At CZ insist its his long strides) but not much of a physical presence or playmaker, kinda ken hamlin-ish. Im hoping he proves himself as a safety of the future because im not crazy about him as a corner

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The problem with our defense isn't necessarily the coverages, it's the pass rush.

Doesn't matter how well you line-up and cover, nobody's DBs can stick to NFL caliber WRs for as long as we expect them to. QBs feel no pressure against us and are able to maintain total composure and poise and calmly work through their progressions against us.

There were AT LEAST 10-15 plays last year, if not more, where the QB had no options within the first 3 seconds of the snap and drop back. But instead of being sacked, flushed out, or forced into a questionable decision, they can just hold on a little longer and find an open guy.

Imagine if we could end 1 more opponent drive a game. A drive that usually goes on to score a FG or TD on us.

Also, Marinelli and whoever else is gameplanning never EVER work to take away the opposing QB's weapons. We never double, we never shade coverage, we never give a WR different looks. Just look at the historic moments and performances Calvin Johnson has had against us. Desean Jacjson. Julio Jones last year. As fans, we KNOW what's coming. But our coordinators and coaches are content with "more of the same" and smiling and yelling GOOD JOB-, GOOD EFFORT to our players.

The stale, conservative approach on offense is matched on defense. We just have a lot of talent on offense that can mask it. The defense doesn't have that luxury...

i've got very little faith in the defensive coaches. And im telling yall, you better watch out for this mothafukka Matt Eberflus. Cat came with Rob Ryan, survived his firing, hasnt developed a single LB in his time here, yet is somehow consistently moving up the ranks. He's exactly the kind of project the Joneses love

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers

just thinking about that atlanta game makes me nausea.
0ac69bbb67ab5ccc70a38e8820d9ed9d.png

our hits on the oline has really masked how bad our defensive drafting has been under garrett. nobody talks about it.

Man i was looking at the gifs from the atlanta game with the same reaction like how the hell did we trot out a Church/wilcox duo for a whole season and how did anyone think it was a good idea :mindblown: so far Byron has shown to be an athlete (i still say he doesnt look as fast or explosive game speed as his combine stats suggest but the folks At CZ insist its his long strides) but not much of a physical presence or playmaker, kinda ken hamlin-ish. Im hoping he proves himself as a safety of the future because im not crazy about him as a corner
ken hamlin is a good description for him.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
just thinking about that atlanta game makes me nausea.
0ac69bbb67ab5ccc70a38e8820d9ed9d.png

our hits on the oline has really masked how bad our defensive drafting has been under garrett. nobody talks about it.

ken hamlin is a good description for him.

That's because they really don't know what they want to do on defense. I bet the vast majority of Cowboy fans forgot that we ran a 3-4 defense in 2012 and we just suddenly changed to 4-3 after firing rob in January 2013. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we not gotten the personnel to play the damn scheme since? Not to mention, this change pretty much destroyed the ability of Mo and Carr playing soft coverage all the time. We STILL have not replaced Darren Woodson (marinate on that for a minute). The last four years have been the worst defense in this history of this franchise and this year won't be any better.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
This whole talk about coverage and scheme and dearth of defensive talent is why I wanted Hargreaves so badly.

Our corners do suck. They aren't intelligent or skilled enough to play man and zone. They obviously aren't fluid enough to balance both, much less be average in just 1 of them.

If it wasn't Hargreaves, I wanted Buckner for pass rush purposes and to help the run game so we could scheme more to help those retards we employ on the back end.

Now that Romo is essentially done, Elliott was probably the right pick. He makes Dak's job a ton easier and keeps us afloat without a top tier QB heading the offense.

But seriously, we need help in the secondary. I really believe Byron Jones is a damn good player. He's not just happy to be here like Wilcox and McClain and damn near everybody on the dline. Dude wants to succeed, be great, improve, and be a quality player in the NFL. He has the tools and hes very intelligent. But he needs help. Sherman has Earl and Kam. Peterson had Mathieu. Berry has Peters. Charles Woodson had Sam Shields. Revis had McCourty. CJ Harris had Talib. You need at least 2 above average to elite players in your secondary if that's going to anchor your defense.

Otherwise, you get a serious pass rush. Colts had Freeney and Mathis. Giants had quality rushers 4-5 deep across the line for both titles. Pittsburgh had a monstrous LB corps. Ravens had Ngata, Kruger, and Suggs, along with Ray and solid DBs. We don't have anything in the front 7 other than Sean Lee. That will take time to build. The pieces we do have are more interested in getting high than getting better.

We gotta start drafting defense. I'm sick and tired of the front office constantly going offense. TWill in the 3rd, Elliott 4th overall, fukking Escobar in the 2nd, a goddamn 4th string RB in the 7th when we have 3 guys who could get 1200+ behind this line, along with Tyron, Frederick, and Martin as 1st rounders....

We can't just take scraps at DE in the 2nd (character issue guys BOTH times) and a couple corners in Mo and Byron and call it a day. Idiots have been trotting out Barry fukking Church and JJ Wilcox as starting NFL players on our defense for 2+ years now...

Really the only team to win a SB in recent history without very good-elite talent in DBs and/or LB/Dline is New Orleans in 2010. And that was an outlier. They were extremely opportunistic and forced turnovers at an rate that couldn't and hasn't been reproduced since. And their offense was a machine.

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
i wanna write this in as small of a font as i can but uh....

if dak aint shyt, and romo keeps getting his shyt pushed in, and we cant find a QB.....

I kinda want dez to go to another team. he's too good for us. i want him to win so bad, brehs.

But FUKK ALL THAT, IM ALL IN WIT DAK!!!!

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I really hope that Garrett isnt that much of a dumbass to play Dak against my team tonight. Yeah he needs the reps and all but you guys are literally running on fumes at the qb position.

We could trade you Weeden back for a 6th rnd pick though :mjlol:

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This whole talk about coverage and scheme and dearth of defensive talent is why I wanted Hargreaves so badly.

Our corners do suck. They aren't intelligent or skilled enough to play man and zone. They obviously aren't fluid enough to balance both, much less be average in just 1 of them.
Dropped my mock in the spoilers. With Romo/Witten on their way out, and a young core approaching their prime this is going to be the most important draft of the decade. This isn't a draft for sitting on hands, no projects, no special teams players. We need immediate impact and long term starters.

Trades:

Dallas trades Pick #4 to 49ers. We receive No. 7 overall pick and No. 68 overall (5th pick in 3rd round)

Trade Pick #135 & #189 to KC. We receive No. 126 overall pick (4th round)

How to Build a Contender 101

Rd 1 (Pick 7 from SF) - Vernon Hargreaves (CB)
Look I like Ramsey, the case him against him is this. Safeties in Marinelli's scheme are reduced to spectators. I did my homework, Hargreaves is going to be the best corner in this draft, and everything Claiborne was supposed to be. I want a dog with the first pick, this is it.

Rd 2 (Pick 34) - Robert Nmkemdiche (DL)
He's going to slide, the guy's a damn knuckle head but you can't pass on that kind of interior talent. Mix him in with Thorton, Crawford, Irving, and we might have something formidable on the interior of the defensive line.

Rd 3 (Pick 67) - Braxton Miller (WR)
Playmaking WR that can stretch the defense. I would even move up in the 2nd to draft him.

Rd 3 (Pick 68 from SF) - Terrance Smith (LB)
We rued passing on an undersized playmaking LB in Telvin Smith a couple of years ago, let's not make same mistake :beli:

Rd 4 (Pick 101) - Cardale Jones/Dak Prescott (QB)
I listed two here because Cardale would be my pick. This organization doesn't have the cojones to draft him, so there's Prescott..whom they are infatuated with.
Rd 4 (Pick 126 from KC) - Deon Bush (S)
Based on the interest with Weddle, and them being linked to Keanu Neal..they are interested in upgrading one of the safety spots. 4th time is the charm, finally get a real safety and throw him back there next to Jones. This is going to be the steal of the draft at safety

Rd 6 (Pick 212), Rd 6 (Pick 216), Rd 6 (Pick 217) - who the hell cares..if they can't nail those first 6 picks it doesn't matter.

giphy.gif

not complaining about the Zeke pick tho