Ex-Singaporean leader (smartest country in the world) explains why US empire will crumble if it continues with its current Playbook

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm late, but I disagree. China is definitely expansionist. They actually have no choice but to be expanisionist, because they're on the same hamster wheel as the US. For them to maintain their autocracy, they need to continue to improve quality of life, otherwise their population won't go for the internal politics. We've seen this with Hong Kong, we've seen this with Tiananmen Square, we've seen this with their rhetoric with regard to the century of shame.

I don't know if they want to lead the world, but they definitely want to be the uncontested hegemon of East Asia.
This is true. The reality and lowdown on China and why it behaves as such:

1) Growth has been slowing and has crashed in the past half-decade. Unbridled growth is a free pass for the CCP to do anything. That pass is becoming more retracted and must be obtained through alternative methods, like assertive actions and increased control over satellites (e.g., Hong Kong, Xinjiang, etc.).

2) China is on borrowed time itself in some ways. China has realized (too late) that it now faces a demographic time bomb. The huge population dividend that was a boon two decades ago has now aged into retirement. However, there has been a failure to transition to a more sustainable economic growth model that is not solely export-oriented catch-up growth and infrastructure ponzi schemes.

3) If it fails to gather regional and international power in the next decade, it is likely that its power will wane considerably over the next 2-4 decades. Asian "wholesomeness" is a myth. Globalized Asian cities have taken on an extremely zero-sum approach to how they treat each other. People are "hard-working" and "diligent" because they feel that this is the bare minimum to survive in a market and society that will discard them instantly if they fail to deliver.

4) I still think US has more to lose with its current playbook than China does with its aggro posturing tactics against ASEAN neighbors.

Daps
You're actually being more illogical by splitting hairs and juelzing
nope. i’m stating reasoned facts. there are an infinitesimal amount of black people in asia. neither singapore nor china entertain a single issue germane to the black american experience, particularly that which has been tied to the spread of “wokeness,” as the american right would tell it.

teaching black history in singapore? or china? punishing the police for killing black people in singapore? or china?

it’s illogical to think his use of the term was in reference to its more common target in america.

:francis:

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Expound please, my googles only turn up coffee :beli:
Well, white ppl aren’t “from” the US. They are of European descent: French, German, Spaniards, Italian, English, Welsh, Irish, Russian, Finns, Norwegian, etc….

But White Americans don’t celebrate their ancestors’ origins, ethnicities, etc. Everyone’s just absorbed into “Whiteness”.

Latinos will discuss their particular national and ethnic background, Asians and Africans as well. You don’t hear many White ppl talking about the differences between them and other White people.

That’s why when someone asks “what is Black culture?” — it’s essentially short for “Black American” culture; the Black American ethnicity which is distinct from other Black cultures across the globe.

Same way there are plenty of Afro-Caribbean nations, and while they are all Black they make sure to note the differences between Jamaicans, Haitians, Trinidadians, Bajans, etc.

And Africans note the differences between Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, Senegal, etc and the ethnicities within those nations.

When White folks come here or have been here for generations most don’t take about their origins. They’re just “White” and “American”; that’s the depth of their identity when their ancestors had to travel here like everyone else’s.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Naaaaah… I feel you, but “woke” has been disassociated from Black folks for a MINUTE. So much so someone had to interview Badu and point out that a Black woman created the term— most Americans have no idea that she did.

“Wokeness” is associated with being super liberal. E.g. the acceptance of transgenderism, LGBTQIA having huge voice/presence culturally,
promoting hookup culture, individualism, etc. Basically all the reasons other cultures hate the “West”.
When woke is punished. Are Gays punished? No, it's usually Black folks and Black adjacent stuff. Woke is code for the N word

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
When woke is punished. Are Gays punished? No, it's usually Black folks and Black adjacent stuff. Woke is code for the N word
I hear you. In general, especially in the West- yes. But in a pretty homogeneous nation that really isn’t worried about Black folks, I think that when he is speaking about wokeness he’s talking about the stuff I referenced 🤷🏾‍♀️.

Agree to disagree