Ex-Singaporean leader (smartest country in the world) explains why US empire will crumble if it continues with its current Playbook

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
People already forgot during Covid the problems created when China didn't want to ship PPE to hospitals and the US not being able to produce it fast enough. Like most issues, it hasn't been addressed. :francis:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
  1. Does the US have little knowledge of China
    1. Average America - sure
    2. People in the State Dept/Academics/Business Leaders - No, that's dumb
  2. Happy in its homogeneity
    1. In some respects China runs an apartheid style system. Most Americans don't realize there are minorities in China - List of ethnic groups in China - Wikipedia
    2. They suppress all types of info to keep the people in check. Ideas are literally dangerous to China. (but low key ideas are dangerous everywhere)
    3. The people aren't really happy with the regime.
  3. Primacy of the US Dollar - There's no reason to think that the US dollar being the reserve currency of the world will change
    1. China isn't opening themselves to non Chinese sellers - and 1 billion Chinese have not become the "buyer of last resort"
    2. America buys anything from everywhere - and as a result it's just easier for everyone to use the dollar. It's why the Euro isn't the reserve currency, much less the Chinese RMB, Russian Ruble, or Japanese Yen.
    3. You can invest your money here, and can relatively trust the earnings reports - because there's recourse here. The laws might not work for you and me regular people - but when shareholders sue companies, companies sue other companies - somebody in Delaware is banging a gavel.
  4. Chinese Overcapacity- he's right here
    1. It is very true that the Chinese have an overt industrial policy.
      1. Lowkey, the American military keeping the price of oil stable is a massive subsidy- thus part of our own industrial policy, but Iemme chill
    2. China has 1+ billion customers - of course their businesses are designed to serve a market that massive. China alone has 420M cars. The US has about 280M.
    3. China invested heavily into green technology - to save the planet? No, not really...but to help everyone else save the planet? Yes.
  5. Wholesomeness about Kids
    1. I'll give him this one - they heavily invest in kids and education (but it's pointless because there are not enough jobs for smart kids- said it before, and I'll keep saying it), but
      1. Singapore has one of the worst fertility rates in the world (1.12)
      2. So does China (1.16)
      3. What is his point when they don't have children, and value work over family?
  6. Keep "woke" things away?
    1. It ain't just Thailand with ladyboys - that stuff is ALL over Asia. (I dare you to google)
    2. But if he means woke is embracing different races - yeah, most of Asia is fairly racist - racist, colorist, classist in ways that most Trumpers would say "chill"
  7. ASEAN should stick together
    1. not wrong here - members of ASEAN should play China off of the US (and to lesser extents Korea and Japan). It's what Latin America and Africa should be doing too.
    2. But Phils vs China is China being an imperial power. The Chinese are doing the same thing with Russia, India, and Japan and those islands/territories.
  8. Most don't want China as an enemy
    1. I don't want my 3 neighbors with pitbulls to be my enemy either
  9. China getting bigger and bigger is good for the SEA?
    1. most of the places in SEA have a colonizer/indigenous population of Chinese. Those people own a lot of the big businesses and dominate a lot of the institutions.
He's cool on some stuff, but he's being a shill in other parts.

It's all geopolitics, no side is more moral than the other.

Reading history - the West in China, Japan, etc.... - it's understandable that all of them got the side eye for America, Europe, etc.
But they also got the side eye for each other.

Decent Response :ehh:

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
So what you’re saying is…

The two groups that used the term were black peoples and then politically active people?

:comeon:
Yes. Black people don't use it to describe themselves.

Today, woke is (mis)used to describe western leftists, not black people

mykey

Superstar
Daps
The US Dollar is losing leverage in global trade at an alarming rate. Once the world "de-dollarisizes" to a certain extent it will be over for America.

Nobody remembers that the Roman Denarius, the Islamic Caliphate Dinar, Italian Florin, Spanish Real, Netherlands Guilder and British Pound were once global reserve currencies and these countries were powerful empires.

Global-Reserve-Currencies-USD-share-2014_2019-q2.png

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They're expansionist in capital markets, trade, and cultural influence. Take a look at what they're doing in Zambia. None of this is bad, just pointing out that they ARE in fact expensionist (just not in terms of military)

Most countries are expansionist then under your definition. It’s moot to point this out.

|r|e|a|d|

Hail!!
Daps
Reppin
PJ's to the Burbs
Even got into the concept of “flat Whiteness” (although I admit I brought that up after she mention the idea of being “American” and people not drawing on the cultures of their home countries)— but she agreed!

Crazy timing.
Expound please, my googles only turn up coffee :beli:

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
I do believe the US has a bleak future ahead of it but I also don't believe China is all that he is making it out to be. I can see China collapsing sooner than the US, imo
It started collapsing the moment they made it a thing to pay a mortgage before the house is even built, housing is pretty unaffordable here in America, but it’s still possible if you got wits and grits with heart on the side. Over there tho, forget it if you’re not already rich or going to be a nepo baby/partner in key business or politics.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Expound please, my googles only turn up coffee :beli:

Hahaha. Australian coffee huh mate.

Flat Blackness - Black Boys/Men have the same experiences as Black Girls/Women.

So after George Floyd - to address white cops killing Black Men - Goldman Sachs commits 10 Billion Dollars to Black Women businesses

When African Girls win Juneteenth Scholarships

So by extension Flat Whiteness - has to be something like

Do issues in the "white" community equally affect the Irish, Italians, Jews, Catholics, White Trash (largely Scottish descent in the Appalachians/Midwest) as much as White Anglos, Germanics, Nordics, and Recent White Immigrants as well as the sometime-y Arabs. (If you want to find white eruro illegals, plenty of them in NY and Boston)

Flat Asian-ness is quite common too - Nobody want's to talk about the Poor Hmong in the Midwest, or broke af Chinese in every part of the country, or literal human trafficking by their own kind...

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
context matters, and in this case, it’s illogical to think the former PM. of singapore is using “woke” in the same way those among the american right do.

he’s referring to the decadence, hedonism, and moral subjectivity that has erased a sense of community and patriotic kinship in america.

:francis:
You're actually being more illogical by splitting hairs and juelzing