Ex-PlayStation Boss Believes Current AAA Development Growth Is Unsustainable

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Ex Sony Boss is literally saying making games like TLOU2 is unsustainable due to development costs and your dumb ass literally just ignored what he said and posted this nonsense.

TLOU costs too much to make and was barely profitable. THE MARKET ISNT SUSTAINABLE.

Dumb sony fans like yourself is part of the reason why sony can barely balance its books.
:russ:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Y’all nikkas playing console democrats vs Republicans aside, this is actually an interesting topic.

Seems like a lot of publishers aren’t willing to take as many financial risks with new IP’s these days and it’s almost creating this weird divide between the indie and AA games vs the super-hyped AAA ones. There’s hardly a “middle class” any more if that makes sense. And the more “hype” a game has, the more expectation there is from shareholders, publishers etc and we get the shoe-horned online multiplayer and microtransaction nonsense thrown onto said games in order for them to make as much as they can off it. You see how Rockstar STILL trying to monetize a game that will now span across 3 generations and that game was one of the most expensive to ever make when it came out

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y’all nikkas playing console democrats vs Republicans aside, this is actually an interesting topic.

Seems like a lot of publishers aren’t willing to take as many financial risks with new IP’s these days and it’s almost creating this weird divide between the indie and AA games vs the super-hyped AAA ones. There’s hardly a “middle class” any more if that makes sense. And the more “hype” a game has, the more expectation there is from shareholders, publishers etc and we get the shoe-horned online multiplayer and microtransaction nonsense thrown onto said games in order for them to make as much as they can off it. You see how Rockstar STILL trying to monetize a game that will now span across 3 generations and that game was one of the most expensive to ever make when it came out

Agreed, but it's more likely it's Take Two monetizing than R*

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I agree more AA games like the one in my avatar(Crash 4) will be welcome. I wouldn't mind if say Naughty Dog made a AA game like a new Jak and Daxter that's $40 while also making the big super hyped AAA games. The OP just made this thread with ulterior motives because it's obvious if you know his posting history :skip:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
The current state of gaming...

Companies are going to churn out AAA because of profit.

If the profitability becomes less attainable; you'll have less shytty AAA but STILL will have the AAA that defines a developing company. And those games tend to be made by the most passionate of developers.

Much like music streaming. Doomsday scenario of the lowered profitability of music would actually benefit real music fans. Why? Because, no matter how unprofitable, musicians - who love the art - will make music regardless.

Games are a bit different but much of the same philosophy exists. Money WILL be thrown behind AAA games that define generations.

We'll see less RYSE and more Halo; less Days Gone and more Last of Us, from all platforms.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
The thing not being mentioned is the tools used to make games are making it faster and easier to render high quality assets. A lot of these larger worlds are going to take less people and happen faster than ever before.

Do I expect games to not cost more and get made faster? Probably not for a while. The guy is probably right. But at the same time, at some point, it will be way easier to create these expansive games than it was. Efficiency= lower cost.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree more AA games like the one in my avatar(Crash 4) will be welcome. I wouldn't mind if say Naughty Dog made a AA game like a new Jak and Daxter that's $40 while also making the big super hyped AAA games. The OP just made this thread with ulterior motives because it's obvious if you know his posting history :skip:

You really reaching, this has no alternative motive.

It was a thread about triple A games. Y'all took offense because you think Sony when you think triple A

As if 3rd party devs don't make triple a games..

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You really reaching, this has no alternative motive.

It was a thread about triple A games. Y'all took offense because you think Sony when you think triple A

As if 3rd party devs don't make triple a games..
:mjlol:

Okay breh, you had absolutely NO ulterior motive. You actually never had this thought until an EX-Sony employee said it. I got you breh.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

Okay breh, you had absolutely NO ulterior motive. You actually never had this thought until an EX-Sony employee says it. I got you breh.

Pretty sure I talked about it in the thread ka posted. If not other places

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Well of course you do. Nothing will make you happier than the industry pumping out AA Gamepass fillers like the Xbox :mjlol:

We need more games like TLOU2 if we want to push the medium forward. Of course there will always be a place for AA indie games but that shouldnt be allowed to dominate.
We need high quality games that Dont take 7 plus years to make (TLOU2, RDR2) they're nice looking but we need games quicker with impeccable development like RE4, old GTAs, Bully and Manhunt. all fire games that came out relatively fast. Dont bring up technology, its possible for them to do it, in this climate developers would rather eat off 1 huge game for a while.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
We need high quality games that Dont take 7 plus years to make (TLOU2, RDR2) they're nice looking but we need games quicker with impeccable development like RE4, old GTAs, Bully and Manhunt. all fire games that came out relatively fast. Dont bring up technology, its possible for them to do it, in this climate developers would rather eat off 1 huge game for a while.
We need BOTH. But, I agree, I want more games that don't take a decade to make or budget for.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
But making AAA games is your fukking job!!!:what::why: why do you NOT want to do your fukking job!!!???

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And this is why I see Sony putting some exclusive games on PC. You can only sell so much on one platform. Microsoft seen the writings on the wall earlier. That’s why with third party’s you hardly see any triple AAA exclusives and are usually multiplat.