Ex-PlayStation Boss Believes Current AAA Development Growth Is Unsustainable

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think the biggest culprits are scope creep due to lack of good/fair management, and too much say from publishers and shareholders like @Rekkapryde :francis: let the pros do their job breh :lolbron: y'all gonna eat in the end

:mjgrin:
All studios do that shyt with crunch times. :francis:

My problem is announcing release dates too early. You look stupid when keep having to push the dates back.

Making a game long for the sake of being long is ridiculous. People will pay for quality. Adjust the price of games if short, etc.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My problem is announcing release dates too early. You look stupid when keep having to push the dates back.

I’m gonna say this until I’m finished with gaming altogether: If you are a AAA publisher/dev, with an established IP, announce that shyt when it’s gold or pretty damn near it. FO4 has the GOAT announcement-to-release turnover, and it hasn’t been matched yet. TLOU2 could have been announced last Monday and sales would not have been hampered more than possibly lagging behind a bit for a wk or 2

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I’m gonna say this until I’m finished with gaming altogether: If you are a AAA publisher/dev, with an established IP, announce that shyt when it’s gold or pretty damn near it. FO4 has the GOAT announcement-to-release turnover, and it hasn’t been matched yet. TLOU2 could have been announced last Monday and sales would not have been hampered more than possibly lagging behind a bit for a wk or 2
Completely agree

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oh so you barely read it but was quick to make a thread? Lol

Oh and who says it's about PlayStation? They're the only AAA publisher?

Barely?

I wanted to read his quote, everything else was common sense to me

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Oh so you barely read it but was quick to make a thread? Lol

Oh and who says it's about PlayStation? They're the only AAA publisher? AAA games aren't exclusive to Sony bregh

lol it sure seems like it.
Xbot threads on here be transparent as hell

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah if you read the whole thing, you wouldn't have tried to pin my post as sensitive about Playstation as this isn't specific to just PS exclusives or Playstation.

The poster you agreed with literally said I cosign this because Xbox doesn't have triple a games and you agreed.

What else am I suppose to think?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I've talked about this before a million times. What's at stake is the overall quality of the art form.
The value/experience/art of games (and artistic content overall) suffers when metrics become the primary driving factor.
If you don't have "loss leaders" in the arts, the genres will never get pushed forward.
The obsession with metrics is what leads us to yearly releases of the same re-skinned games crammed with micro-transactions and season passes.

See this classic dose of other-worldly knowledge dropped here for reference:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/wha...-mean-for-the-future-of-entertainment.605361/

To basically say: You see! I told you so! Sony's strategy of focusing on AAA games doesn't work. Long live Xbox! The 4K sometimes 8K 60fps sometimes 120 fps GOAT console for all your true A and AA gaming rental needs! :ohlawd:

Is basically celebrating the regression of the genre. Indies will always have their place and will drive the genre forward, but you can't discount the need for AAA games with fleshed out story driven experiences. Think what you want about it, but cinema was pushed forward by Marvel in ways indie flicks couldn't. It's the same for gaming. Sony gets joked on for "movie games" and "set pieces". Jokes aside, I would hate for my ONLY options to be re-skinned first person shooters that focus solely on the multiplayer experience. I want the option of getting lost in intricate stories wrapped around great gameplay to be around forever.

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Bruh, I'll take it even further. They have studios and publishers announcing GAMES way too early now.

Case in point: Bethesda was dumb for officially announcing Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. THEY don't even have a remote idea of when they'll be out, and now it feels like once every quarter there's some report of them not having an answer when people ask about when they'll be out, and people panicking.

It seems as if the production cycle for games is still very much tied to the promo cycle, which still feels like it's stuck in the 90s at times. I think there are enough examples of very successful games that didn't need the multi year rollout that you'd think there'd be changes made already.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I've talked about this before a million times. What's at stake is the overall quality of the art form.
The value/experience/art of games (and artistic content overall) suffers when metrics become the primary driving factor.
If you don't have "loss leaders" in the arts, the genres will never get pushed forward.
The obsession with metrics is what leads us to yearly releases of the same re-skinned games crammed with micro-transactions and season passes.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/wha...-mean-for-the-future-of-entertainment.605361/

To basically say: You see! I told you so! Sony's strategy of focusing on AAA games doesn't work. Long live Xbox! The 4K sometimes 8K 60fps sometimes 120 fps GOAT console for all your true A and AA gaming rental needs! :ohlawd:

Is basically celebrating the regression of the genre. Indies will always have their place and will drive the genre forward, but you can't discount the need for AAA games with fleshed out story driven experiences. Think what you want about it, but cinema was pushed forward by Marvel in ways indie flicks couldn't. It's the same for gaming. Sony gets joked on for "movie games" and "set pieces". Jokes aside, I would hate for my ONLY options to be re-skinned first person shooters that focus solely on the multiplayer experience. I want the option of getting lost in intricate stories wrapped around great gameplay to be around forever.

Sony Stans :mjlol:

Just kidding. 100% truth. Repped (later apparently)

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The poster you agreed with literally said I cosign this because Xbox doesn't have triple a games and you agreed.

What else am I suppose to think?
The poster I agreed with said your sole reason for making the thread was to try to skew it as an ex-playstation guy(appeal to authority) is saying AAA games are unsustainable. If you just said it yourself you knew people would dismiss it simply because you're a known Xbox fanboy :mjlol:.

@J.V Koba saying Xbox doesn't have triple AAA games like that is why I said I agree because if Xbox had the exact same amount of AAA games that were critically acclaimed I doubt you'd be saying this is an issue you agree with(that AAA games need to be considered less due to budget.) simply because of your posting history.

Let's be real, keep that same energy when AAA games are shown exclusively for Xbox next month. Be concerned about ballooning costs for game development for ALL games, not just the big one that just dropped on Playstation.

Last edited:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bruh, I'll take it even further. They have studios and publishers announcing GAMES way too early now.

Case in point: Bethesda was dumb for officially announcing Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. THEY don't even have a remote idea of when they'll be out, and now it feels like once every quarter there's some report of them not having an answer when people ask about when they'll be out, and people panicking.

It seems as if the production cycle for games is still very much tied to the promo cycle, which still feels like it's stuck in the 90s at times. I think there are enough examples of very successful games that didn't need the multi year rollout that you'd think there'd be changes made already.

Yep that falls under the umbrella I was talking about. And it's funny that BGS is your example when they could have learned from their own financial success :russ: it kinda sucks that it won't matter in the end, because as soon as they announce a RD on either one of those the net will go crazy, when they inevitably delay, the internet will go crazy, rinse and repeat until the game comes out and gets universally praised (despite gamebreaking bugs :lolbron:). I'm all for taking as much time as you need to see your vision through, especially with the glut of games I haven't even gotten to yet, but either treat the cycle as fluid or rigid.

I *also feel like too much money is wasted on advertising, even with the insane revenue AAA is bringing in today. But I'll be fair and say most advertising can't be targeted at me, because I keep up with the gaming news I want to keep up with.

Last edited:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Well of course you do. Nothing will make you happier than the industry pumping out AA Gamepass fillers like the Xbox :mjlol:

We need more games like TLOU2 if we want to push the medium forward. Of course there will always be a place for AA indie games but that shouldnt be allowed to dominate.
The Ex Sony Boss is literally saying making games like TLOU2 is unsustainable due to development costs and your dumb ass literally just ignored what he said and posted this nonsense.

TLOU costs too much to make and was barely profitable. THE MARKET ISNT SUSTAINABLE.

Dumb sony fans like yourself is part of the reason why sony can barely balance its books.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Ex Sony Boss is literally saying making games like TLOU2 is unsustainable due to development costs and your dumb ass literally just ignored what he said and posted this nonsense.

TLOU costs too much to make and was barely profitable. THE MARKET ISNT SUSTAINABLE.

Dumb sony fans like yourself is part of the reason why sony can barely balance its books.
Make up stats in your head, dumb brehs :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Is basically celebrating the regression of the genre. Indies will always have their place and will drive the genre forward, but you can't discount the need for AAA games with fleshed out story driven experiences. Think what you want about it, but cinema was pushed forward by Marvel in ways indie flicks couldn't. It's the same for gaming. Sony gets joked on for "movie games" and "set pieces". Jokes aside, I would hate for my ONLY options to be re-skinned first person shooters that focus solely on the multiplayer experience.
I want the option of getting lost in intricate stories wrapped around great gameplay to be around forever.
Exactly! My thoughts exactly. Dudes look for any sort of way to discount AAA narrative focused games e.g. "XX of players don't see the ending", "AAA costs are rising...", "One and done...." but prop up GAAS shyt like Apex Legends of COD Warzone as if that should be the main game with the occasional AAA title once in a blue moon(GTA). I like all of em, I like the indies and I like the big AAA games that someone spent years on working.

I know the Xbox brehs not gonna agree but some of y'all want to hold gaming back and just want everything to be this homogenized, flash pasteurized, factory line produced product that is accessible to everyone at a cheap price.

Notice how the OP is only getting daps from Xbots? :mjlol: I don't frigging ONLY want Ori and FPS that has 300K daily viewers on Twitch. If it was up to these dudes, they'd be content with just playing the same game from 2013 but with new seasons yearly because reasons.

Last edited: