Eric Adams bikes to work on second day in office: ‘On the road again!’ (A.K.A The NY Bike thread)

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah nikkas are more aggravated they take up parking spaces than anything..

And yeah once you see them bikes, you already who them bikes for :mjpls:
Yeah right back at you :stopitslime:

The DOT under DeBlasio have definitely used congestion in order to stop congestion all through the city it's been their MO for years under the Vision Zero crap.

And every Black person in this city knows when a CitiBike rack pops up in your neighborhood, it is the flag of the gentrification CAC being planted in your area.

Also the bike shytheads used Covid as the reason to push the Open Streets garbage all over the 5 boroughs, especially in neighborhoods where no one asked for it.

Cutting off entire swaths of the streets so that yuppies in strollers can walk in the street with their dogs

Remember I warned you when there is eventual pushback on this stupid shyt
Im not in New York, but i truly do hate "open streets" with a passion. :pacspit:

My city does them also. Its a stingy compromise that does more harm to commerce than it benefits the community. Its an example of congress people being lazy and not fighting for infrastructure dollars to fix their own cities. Id hate to be a bussiness owner on that main street where the flood of driving, well papered citizens in their 50s, 40s, and 60s just stops driving in front of (or park in front) their storefronts. No amount of teens, 20yr olds, and 30yr old hippies will make up for the amount of lost revenue from those drivers.:beli:

As a consumer, i have personally just stopped driving down town during open streets days.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Im not in New York, but i truly do hate "open streets" with a passion. :pacspit:

My city does them also. Its a stingy compromise that does more harm to commerce than it benefits the community. Its an example of congress people being lazy and not fighting for infrastructure dollars to fix their own cities. Id hate to be a bussiness owner on that main street where the flood of driving, well papered citizens in their 50s, 40s, and 60s just stops driving in front of (or park in front) their storefronts. No amount of teens, 20yr olds, and 30yr old hippies will make up for the amount of lost revenue from those drivers.:beli:

As a consumer, i have personally just stopped driving down town during open streets days.

the data saids something different.

Bike lanes led to 49% increase in retail sales | Boing Boing

snippet:
East Village, New York City
A neighborhood survey of 420 people on First and Second avenues in Manhattan's East Village, home to protected bike lanes, found that aggregate spending by non-drivers accounted for 95 percent of all retail spending in the area. That's not too surprising in New York, given the great transit infrastructure, but the figures remain impressive. Cyclists spent about $163 per week on average, compared to $143 among drivers.
Los Angeles, California
Business data was collected along York Avenue in Los Angeles before and after a road diet that replaced car lanes with bike lanes. The change was found to have "little effect on surrounding businesses, property values, and customer shopping patterns." Sales tax revenue, a proxy for business success, was higher on the section of York with the new bike lane than the section without it, $1,116,745 to $574,778 (though revenues rose post-road diet in both sections).

snippet:
The city has been tracking the impacts of the lanes on businesses. One 2012 study following the construction of a bike lane on 9th Avenue, found local businesses saw an increase in retail sales of up to 49 per cent, compared to a three per cent increase in the rest of Manhattan.

A broader evaluation of bike lanes in the Big Apple conducted by municipal officials in 2014 indicated that streets with protected bike lanes experienced retail sales spike by up to 24 per cent compared to streets without protected lanes.

In Salt Lake City, 2015 sales tax statistics also noted a sales bump with new bike lanes.

Positive results have been seen in San Francisco too; after bike lanes and wider sidewalks were installed, two-thirds of merchants reported that increased levels of bicycling and walking improved business, only four per cent said the changes hurt sales.

snippet:
Philadelphia, for instance, recently ended its longstanding policy of offering free on-street parking on Saturdays during the holiday season. The move was controversial, but some retailers embraced it. “The less cars the better — especially with people walking around with strollers,” Nina Braca, the manager of Tildie’s Toy Box, told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
In Toronto, for example, May 2020 plans to install temporary protected bike lanes on a section of Bloor Street that’s home to high-end retailers like Hermes and Louis Vuitton met resistance from the local Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area (BIA). The group sent a letter to the mayor and city council warning that the new bike lanes would trigger a shopping apocalypse: “Should we lose a significant number of retailers in the coming months, it will take a decade for the street to recover,” the letter warned.

Briar de Lange, the BIA’s executive director, worried that the bike lanes would make Bloor Street less appealing to affluent shoppers. “When drivers can’t pull over, they get frustrated,” she said. “They will look to suburban shopping malls, instead of coming to our street.” Rather than build protected lanes, the BIA supported sticking with sharrows — the painted road markings much maligned by cyclists — which “had worked well over the past 10 years.”

In fighting the new bike lanes on Bloor Street — which Toronto did ultimately install — those businesses owners may have been working against their own interests. In 2016, many businesses on an adjacent section of Bloor Street also vehemently opposed the city’s replacement of 136 on-street parking spots with protected bike lanes. “It was quite controversial,” said Becky Katz, the manager of cycling and pedestrian projects for the city. “Most of the concerns we heard came from business owners.”

How Janette Sadik-Khan built New York City’s bicycle renaissance

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
@CopiousX

Where Covid’s Car-Free Streets Boosted Business

An Evaluation of a Kansas Open Streets Event’s Impact on Businesses
Abstract
Introduction
Open Streets is an event that promotes physical activity among populations by encouraging city residents to walk and bicycle in streets blocked from motor vehicles. Engagement of businesses is a critical component of Open Streets. This study sought to evaluate the Open Streets ICT 2019 event’s impact on adjacent businesses.

Methods
A 12-item novel survey was developed for this study. Businesses eligible for study participation included retail and non-retail (e.g., non-profits, churches) sites along the Open Streets ICT route in Wichita, Kansas. To understand how Open Streets ICT impacted businesses, the survey used Likert scale questions to prompt respondents to report sales and visitors experiences during the event. Additionally, respondents reported a percent difference in sales compared to a typical Sunday. A phenomenological approach was used to convey the experiences among study participants during Open Streets ICT.

Results
A total of 102 surveys were completed, a 42% response rate. Most businesses (56%, n = 56) reported being open during Open Streets ICT. Many businesses (72%) reported having “more” visitors compared to a typical Sunday. More than half reported they experienced new and regular visitors (54%, n = 30) from the event. Most businesses (64%, n = 36) reported a positive financial impact, and (52%, n = 29) having more sales than a typical Sunday.

Conclusions
Open Streets ICT increased sales and the number of visitors among businesses. Respondents reported they plan to participate in the 2020 Open Streets ICT, and if Open Streets ICT was offered twice a year. Finally, most participating businesses reported they recommend that other businesses participate in Open Streets ICT.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Biased sources, biased conclusions.

Rinse, repeat

The fukk is Boing Boing, fam

No seriously, what the entire fukk is Boing Boing

nikka it's 20 something degrees outside...STOP IT :laff:

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
Biased sources, biased conclusions.

Rinse, repeat

The fukk is Boing Boing, fam

No seriously, what the entire fukk is Boing Boing

nikka it's 20 something degrees outside...STOP IT :laff:

Most of these nikkas can't sprint up a flight of stairs, where the hell they biking to:mjlol:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got no issues with the bike lanes. The city is meant to be walkable and way smaller than it is. I have a car but the less cars (mainly Uber & Lyft) the better.

If we're doing this, it has to be coupled with other things. Significant investment in the MTA being the main one. Cracking down on the lawlessness of cyclists and delivery brehs is another.

Black Guiliani is a menace. He's a dumbass who thinks we're still in the 80s. He will be his own downfall.

Wow! He's already a menace? Did you ever like a mayor from NYC?

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Most of these nikkas can't sprint up a flight of stairs, where the hell they biking to:mjlol:
I can totally dig it in the spring and the summer...MAYBE if the weather is nice

But again, the bike zealots like to pretend that there's some grand war going on in this city and that it's Cars vs. Bikes, when really it's just a whole bunch of white transplants moving in to a city, trying to make it something that its not.

Only people on bikes right now are the bike zealots and the delivery guys...everyone else is like "fukk that it's brick outside" and you know what? During the summer time all these people pretending that they're riding bikes to work are capping too

I live downtown BK in the Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area and I work in Lower Manhattan...if I rode my bike to work I'd smell like marinated ass cheeks by the time I got to the office :mjlol:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I support this over bikers slowing me down on the damn road. I don’t live in these big metropolises but still

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Wow! He's already a menace? Did you ever like a mayor from NYC?

He's been my borough president for almost a decade before he was mayor.

My issue with Adams is he has all the qualities to be the best mayor this city has seen in recent memory but he'll fumble it with his arrogance. He's mayor at a difficult time but he has a unique ability to connect with people across different paths.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's been my borough president for almost a decade before he was mayor.

My issue with Adams is he has all the qualities to be the best mayor this city has seen in recent memory but he'll fumble it with his arrogance. He's mayor at a difficult time but he has a unique ability to connect with people across different paths.

I'm from Brooklyn as well. But how is he a menace already? He's only been in office for weeks. Or was that just hyperbole?

Montez

Superstar
Daps
I'm from Brooklyn as well. But how is he a menace already? He's only been in office for weeks. Or was that just hyperbole?

Bit hyperbole but his language is going to hurt him. On day four he called much of this city "low skilled workers" who "don’t have the academic skills to sit in a corner office." Not only disrespectful but also showed that he had an outdated view of business and what this city will look like as we get out the pandemic.

Then there was this.

“People say that I have attacked the police, but that is a contradiction to the reality,” Adams said. “I have always been endorsed by the PBA. The rank-and-file members know that I believe in public safety and in social justice — they go together.”

The same PBA led by a man who defended Eric Garner's killers and said “But unfortunately Mr. Garner made a choice that day to resist arrest.”

He's got a tough job and I want him to win but the tough talking act is tiring.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Eric Adam’s you better get on the neck of the department of sanitation about the curbside bins pilot. Eliminate the trash bags on the street culture of NYC immediately.

the pilot was suppose to start in October and DOS is blaming Covid for not doing it despite hundreds of restaurants having curbside seating

:camby:

you talking about this?

bnew

Veteran
Daps

commenters from that link posted other solutions too.

no ones gonna want to dig up city streets tho.:shaq2:

all i could find was mockups, I doubt they built those bins because deblasio would have shown them off.
620cdc33c1dc748175669e7479e9fcdfa5-one-street.rhorizontal.w1100.jpg

Perfecting the New York Street

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

New York City Is Finally Getting Raised Crosswalks

Mayor Adams Announces Major New Actions & Investments to Improve Pedestrian Safety at Intersections
snippet:
DOT Design Toolkit Focus on Intersections

DOT announced that in 2022 it would undertake new and expanded efforts focused on intersection design at 1,000 locations, including through:

• Increased focus on intersections in Street Improvement Projects: DOT will use its full toolkit of street design treatments as redesigns happen, focused on Vision Zero priority geographies, locations where fatalities and serious injuries have occurred, and Priority Investment Areas as detailed in the NYC Streets Plan. These changes include new turn signals and “head-starts” that allow pedestrians to enter the intersection before vehicles can turn.
  • Raised crosswalks: DOT will begin a program to construct 100 raised crosswalks at curb level annually. Raised crosswalks serve a dual purpose of increasing accessibility for the disability community, while at the same time serving as speed bumps that slow drivers. This work will be done primarily via a new contract with the New York City Department of Design and Construction.
  • Bike corrals at intersections: DOT will “daylight” at least 100 intersections with bike corrals this year, as part of its planned installation of more than 10,000 bicycle racks by the end of 2022. Bike corrals at intersections help provide visibility for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians, while preventing drivers from cutting corners and turning too quickly.
  • Parking lot and gas station traffic-calming: Curb cuts at high-traffic locations like parking lots and gasoline stations, often at intersections, can create danger as drivers cut across sidewalks unpredictably — a particular concern for vulnerable student and senior pedestrians. DOT efforts will target dozens of problem locations, largely outside Manhattan, reducing driver “short cuts” and better channeling vehicle traffic to increase visibility and predictability.
  • Doubling the Turn-Calming Program: Research has shown that drivers take turns more slowly and deliberately when physical elements are in place to force turns at more appropriate speeds. DOT will double the production of such efforts to 100 intersections this year.
Increased Enforcement Within Intersections

The NYPD will strongly enforce failure-to-yield (FTY), a violation that especially endangers pedestrians and cyclists at intersections, with a goal of doubling 2021 FTY enforcement efforts.

While enforcement will be at intersections citywide, officers will also be empowered by a new DOT traffic rule that goes into effect today for such violations at over 1,200 intersections citywide that are governed by neither a traffic signal nor a stop sign. Under the new rule, drivers and cyclists passing through such intersections must not simply yield but fully stop until a pedestrian has completely crossed the street. The new rule is intended to clarify enforcement and remove any subjectivity from such violations.

New “Stop. Let Them Cross” Public Awareness Campaign

This month, DOT will begin a public awareness campaign on social media and in community and ethnic media publications to raise awareness for the new stop for pedestrians’ rule for uncontrolled intersections. The message also underscores the importance of slowing down and being aware of pedestrians while driving in New York City.

“Street safety is of paramount importance and redesigning our intersections will save lives,” said State Assemblymember Robert Carroll. “I commend Mayor Adams and Transportation Commissioner Rodriguez for coming out of the gate intent on addressing these important safety issues early in their administration. I look forward to partnering on future improvements to make our streets safer.”

“Protecting pedestrians at dangerous intersections is paramount. As a City, we must prevent traffic fatalities and injuries, and ensure that our streets are safe for everyone,” said City Council Speaker Adrienne Adams. “Implementing design improvements, visibility measures, and other treatments, combined with expanded enforcement and an education campaign, will make a tremendous difference. I thank Mayor Adams, DOT Commissioner Rodriguez, and Police Commissioner Sewell for taking these critical actions for the safety of all New Yorkers."

“I want to first express my sincere gratitude to Mayor Adams and Commissioner Rodriguez for their attention to this critical and life-threatening situation,” said New York City Councilmember Shahana Hanif. “Nearly a month ago, Arcellie ‘Celi’ Muschamp tragically lost her life to a reckless driver on 5th Avenue and Union Street in my district. This community knows all too well the toll traffic violence can take and the desperate need to achieve Vision Zero. I am pleased to see the DOT implementing a few of the proposals I called for just this past Tuesday, such as daylighting intersections and improving street designs, especially with leading pedestrian intervals. By taking these important steps, we can prevent future tragedies and ensure our streets are safe for everyone.”

"The urgency of making our streets safer cannot be overstated,” said New York City Councilmember Rita Joseph. “Intersections are where a disproportionate number of pedestrian traffic injuries occur, and I thank Mayor Adams and Commissioner Rodriguez for their data-driven focus on ensuring that our streetscape is people-focused. Crossing the street should not be a matter of life or death.”

“Bike New York thanks Mayor Adams and Commissioner Rodriguez for moving quickly to bring new traffic safety measures to city streets,” said Jon Orcutt, advocacy director, Bike New York. “We need physical changes to slow dangerous driving: Raised crosswalks and bike corrals at corners will save lives. We also applaud the focus on curb cuts — we need improvements in this regard along bike lanes like Brooklyn’s 4th Avenue.”

“Regional Plan Association applauds Mayor Adams and Commissioner Rodriguez for fixing dangerous intersections and doing more to protect pedestrians,” said Kate Slevin, executive vice president, Regional Plan Association. “Tragically, traffic fatality numbers were up in 2021, reaching the highest level since 2013. We look forward to working with the mayor and commissioner on a comprehensive approach to bring these numbers down and create a safer city for all. Efforts like this — with a focus on design, enforcement, and public awareness — will be fundamental to that broader strategy.”

Last edited: