Eric Adams bikes to work on second day in office: ‘On the road again!’ (A.K.A The NY Bike thread)

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
commenters from that link posted other solutions too.

no ones gonna want to dig up city streets tho.:shaq2:

all i could find was mockups, I doubt they built those bins because deblasio would have shown them off.
620cdc33c1dc748175669e7479e9fcdfa5-one-street.rhorizontal.w1100.jpg

Perfecting the New York Street

Nobody wants to build city streets. The issue with America and people not wanting them to do stuff. I would love to live under a government where people are demanded to use common sense

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Chicago did bike lanes perfectly
Some may disagree

I remember I had a date with a girl once and we just got some dixxy bikes and just rode around, then rode to a restaurant, ate, and rode away to the park.
super fun and super cheap date

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Chicago did bike lanes perfectly
Some may disagree

I remember I had a date with a girl once and we just got some dixxy bikes and just rode around, then rode to a restaurant, ate, and rode away to the park.
super fun and super cheap date

nice to see other cities are taking this infrastructure initiative seriously.:ehh:

CDOT Announces Biggest Bike Lane Expansion in City’s History through Mayor Lightfoot’s Chicago Works Capital Investment and Jobs Plan
CHICAGO - The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) announced today that it is in the midst of the biggest bike lane expansion in the City’s history, due to targeted investments from Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot’s Chicago Works capital plan. With a total of $17 million in new funding this year and next, CDOT is installing 100 miles of new and upgraded bike lanes. CDOT Commissioner Gia Biagi made the announcement at the location of new protected bike lane on 119th Street. Biagi also released a blueprint for building more bikeways that puts an emphasis on community-led planning and connected neighborhood networks.

"Investing in bike infrastructure is not only a critical part of our plan to build stronger, more resilient neighborhoods, but also our efforts to protect the health and wellbeing of our residents," said Mayor Lightfoot. "By building more bike lanes than ever, we will help to bring Chicago back from the disruptions caused by the pandemic as well as encourage more residents to ride bikes—thus creating healthier, better-connected communities."

“Our goal at CDOT is to make every day cycling safe, affordable and convenient for people of all ages and abilities, by connecting people to meaningful destinations and connecting neighborhoods to each other,” said Commissioner Biagi. “But there is no one-size fits all approach to growing our bike network. Every neighborhood has different opportunities, challenges, and perceptions of biking. This means different strategies are required for different neighborhoods.”

CDOT also released a new document, the Chicago Community Cycling Network Update, which includes a summary of 2021 initiatives that are funded through the Mayor’s Chicago Works plan. It outlines an approach for expanding bike infrastructure with a focus on new protected bike lanes, working with community stakeholders on building Neighborhood Bike Networks, and filling gaps in the citywide network. The design and implementation strategy builds on CDOT’s new Strategic Plan for Transportation which prioritizes equitable access to safe and affordable transportation options as a key strategy to support economic development and build healthier, cleaner, and safer communities.

Between the Great Recession and the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, interest in biking increased steadily and the number of people biking to work almost doubled. Now, partly in response to the pandemic and the desire for safe and socially distanced forms of transportation and recreation, the trend has accelerated, and more Chicagoans are biking than ever. CDOT’s Divvy bikeshare system has recorded over 7 million rides in the last two years. This includes setting a new single-day ride records three times this year and set new monthly records in July and August with more than 800,000 rides each month. Additionally, Divvy is on pace to top the old annual ride record of 3.8 million in the coming days.

Commissioner Biagi said that with a new dedicated source of funding through Mayor Lightfoot’s Chicago Works infrastructure investment program, CDOT is on track to grow the existing bike network to about 400 miles by implementing 50 miles of projects in 2021, with 50 additional miles in 2022. These 100 miles of new and upgraded bike lanes is the largest growth in the City’s biking system ever over a two-year period. This year’s bike infrastructure includes a focus on the South and West Sides and is being coordinated with the ongoing citywide expansion of Divvy. The bike share system is expanding its service to those areas and adding an additional 3,500 electric assist bikes to Chicago’s streets this summer, on top of the 3,500 e-bikes deployed in the first phase of the expansion in 2020.

CDOT bikeway planners have been conducting virtual and in-person outreach and engagement sessions with community transportation advocates this spring and summer. CDOT has begun installing 45 miles of connected neighborhood bike networks in Austin, Belmont Cragin, and North Lawndale this year and next, all areas that are the focus of the Divvy expansion. Building on the expansion of bikeways that started in 2020, CDOT is also installing 13 additional miles of bikeways on the Far South Side.

CDOT is also ramping up installation of bike racks and bike corrals around the City, with about 1,100 bike racks installed since last year and about 250 more racks to be installed during the remainder of this year. About 20 corrals have been installed since last year and ten more are planned.

Biking to work has been a long-standing metric for measuring progress in making cities more bicycle-friendly. However, in order to encourage more people to shift from cars to bikes, CDOT is focusing on making short everyday trips easier by creating networks of bike infrastructure within neighborhoods.

“People of all ages and abilities get excited about biking when they are physically protected from car and truck traffic,” Amy Rynell, executive director of the Active Transportation Alliance. “This new bike lane in West Pullman makes it safer and easier for residents to access jobs, open space, and other daily destinations. Dozens of streets in neighborhoods throughout the city could benefit from similar upgrades.”

"The pandemic year really brought people back to cycling and our trail and bike lanes have been well used," said Peter Taylor President of the Friends of the Major Taylor Trail. "The Major Taylor Cycling Club is growing and every week I remark on how far the citywide cycling network has progressed in a couple of years. More and better infrastructure is key. CDOT has been doing the work, creating more connections to the Major Taylor Trail and making it safer to ride around. Safe streets are integral to expanding the active lifestyle."

CDOT has designed and is installing 12 miles of new protected bike lanes in both 2021 and 2022 and will continue identifying additional miles of protected bike lanes for next year. In 2021, Chicagoans will have benefited from the largest annual growth of protected bike lanes in recent years, with approximately 9 miles to be completed by the end of this year.
CDOT Bike Network
https://www.chicago.gov/dam/city/depts/cdot/bike/2021/2021ChicagoBikeMap.pdf

these are dope

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I can totally dig it in the spring and the summer...MAYBE if the weather is nice

But again, the bike zealots like to pretend that there's some grand war going on in this city and that it's Cars vs. Bikes, when really it's just a whole bunch of white transplants moving in to a city, trying to make it something that its not.

Only people on bikes right now are the bike zealots and the delivery guys...everyone else is like "fukk that it's brick outside" and you know what? During the summer time all these people pretending that they're riding bikes to work are capping too

I live downtown BK in the Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area and I work in Lower Manhattan...if I rode my bike to work I'd smell like marinated ass cheeks by the time I got to the office :mjlol:

this is just one lane.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Open Streets is one of the worst things that Bill DeBlasio has ever done and I hope he suffers one day for it

A good example is in Brooklyn where they claimed the Open Streets were for Covid social distancing (lies) and then months later the Community Boards claimed that there were meetings about it (lies) that didn't actually involve the members of the community, but special interests groups (funded by Uber and Lyft) filled with white transplants who don't actually represent the communities that they are gentrifying.

I sent these people an email about the shyt and this dingbat at the nerve to tell me "Well your neighbors had meetings about it and posted notices in Associated"

1. NONE of the people on my block knew ANYTHING about it...ESPECIALLY the remaining Black families that live there (HINT!!!), and I was working from home since February 2020 when the pandemic quarantine started so they DEFINITELY didn't send notices, mailings, or even inquire about it.

2. Associated pays my property tax???? The fukk???

Then they made the streets open streets PERMANENTLY again, without any input from the people who live there

A quick peruse of any bike lane related or Open Streets related tweets will show you that it's overwhelmingly liked and retweeted by the white people who hate cars yet are somehow able to afford the rent in these neighborhoods where the average rent has skyrocketed over the past 5-10 years.

They're not liberals, they're CACs, and the same CACs that claim that the GOP is bad, but do the same sneaky underhanded shyt to accomplish their goals that the Republicans do

You should be ashamed but I guess you can ride your bike so it's all good

This has NOTHING to do with community...it's so that yuppie white people can walk their dogs and strollers in the street, but keep cherry picking pro Open Streets garbage tweets to convince people that the average New Yorker is for this.

I can't drive into my neighborhood and park my car without having to get out and move a barrier because people like you encourage these dumb CACs to go on social justice campaigns that ultimately only benefit THEM and their goals of pushing out Black and Hispanic people all over this city so they can pretend that they are "disenfranchised" and unheard.

And of course Adams is getting his PR on to secure the transplant CAC vote after it came out that the landlord responsible for that Bronx fire is on his transition team :mjlol:

fukk off dude:camby:

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

snippet:
As New Yorkers prepare for a major snowstorm this weekend, the trial fleet is facing its first real challenge, says Joshua Goodman, a spokesperson for the Department of Sanitation.

“If it goes well, we’ll be seriously looking at purchasing them,” Goodman said. “If it doesn’t, we’re going to figure out why there are shortcomings.”

The new vehicles – which include a smaller 49-inch model and a wider 62-inch unit – are costing the city just over $200,000 each month to lease. In addition to snow clearing, they’re capable of sweeping bike lanes of debris, though it’s unclear how often they’ll be used for that purpose.

Jon Orcutt, a former DOT policy official who is now the director of communications at Bike New York, said the city’s acquisition of the smaller plows was past due.

“When Boston started doing protected bike lanes, they bought these things. Same with Denver. We’re behind on getting the equipment,” he said, adding that the new administration seemed to have a “new appetite for innovation.”

The lease comes one year after Sanitation Commissioner Edward Grayson offered an apology to cyclists for the agency’s poor performance in clearing bike lanes, telling Streetsblog that the pandemic had decimated his purchasing budget.

But even with the right equipment, the process of bike lane snow removal brings its own set of planning difficulties, according to Jack Cebe, a transportation engineer who has written about winter bike lane maintenance.

One common conundrum, he noted, is how to keep the larger snow plows from “nullifying your work” by dumping snow at the entrance of protected bike lanes. To avoid the problem, some cities, like Minneapolis, make an effort to schedule their bike path plows behind their street plows.

In other snow-heavy areas, such as Calgary and Montreal, the most used bike routes are prioritized for repeated plowing, with the acknowledgement that not all bike paths can remain snow-free during a major storm. (The Netherlands' heated inter-city bike highway remains a distant fantasy for most New York City cyclists).

“One of the key considerations is which routes are you going to make sure are open all the time, how do you communicate that to the traveling public, and which ones are secondary or tertiary priorities that you might get to after the snow event is over,” said Cebe.

The machines have proved doubly useful in cities where sidewalk clearing is a municipal responsibility. In New York, property owners are responsible for clearing their own sidewalks – and are prohibited from illegally dumping snow into a bike lane.