Eon Musk: 100 participants set to go to mars indefinitely. Meet the participants.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
You all laugh, but in the famous 1950s science fiction book, "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury, there was a chapter "Way in the Middle of the Air" which depicted a voluntary emigration of Southern Blacks to a newly colonized Mars to create their own community and escape prejudice. The White people were pissed.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
To be honest, some of these comments make me sad. Yeah, it probably is a low chance of survival but Black people aren't going to break out of our current condition by cautious incrementalism, we need to be bolder. While Musk is often a showman, I give him props for at least pushing the issue and keeping it alive as NASA continues to delay their Mars mission (it should have happened by now).

That being said, I am not shocked there are few Blacks. First, we don't know who applied and I don't feel a lot of us would have given these comments so we caused our own selection bias. Second, I doubt Musk cares about any diversity or what not. His best bud from Paypal, Peter Thiel, wrote the book The Diversity Myth slashing at the concept. It is rumored he first got into conservative politics as a result of Blacks and other minorities doing some kind of march at Stanford while he was a student. Musk also apparently dismissed concerns of discrimination by Black workers at Tesla so we shouldn't look for him to get us to Mars in big numbers:

Musk said people who faced discrimination should be more thick skinned and accept apologies

I think a hidden goal of this is to create some ultra-libertarian experimental colony. Thiel is trying to do this on ships on Earth right now. In this place it would be survival of the fittest and civil rights would be an infringement on "freedom".

---

Superstar
Daps
Sacrifice your brothers and sisters brehs

How is it a sacrifice? You see a sacrifice I see the start to something extra ordinary.

No matter what happens humans won't live on one planet! When the history books are written you want to see 4 brothers and sisters in the record books or a bunch more.

Why should white people be the biggest group on mars when then make up only 12% on earth?

Not understanding the word sacrifice in this mats trip at all.