Elizabeth Warren HQ: She's Got A Plan!

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
My fear is she's all talk like a typical politician. She's too good to be true.

Idk she remind me more of a secretary/commissioner type of public service who is use to delivering results because they can be fired. She seems like she has something to prove and I think it’ll help her. People got to vote the Dems in control of the senate though. This bytch Mitch would just pull another Obama era move and stop her from doing anything progressive.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
That interview with Klein... so she's already shifted away from paying for universal childcare with the increase to the military budget to paying for it with the wealth tax. I thought she was being clever by voting to needlessly increase the budget since she'd just reallocate it to areas of need.

Mea culpa for thinking she was clever. It always amazes me that no modern politician knows how to politic with an elevated level of thinking. What you see is less than what you'll get.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
That interview with Klein... so she's already shifted away from paying for universal childcare with the increase to the military budget to paying for it with the wealth tax. I thought she was being clever by voting to needlessly increase the budget since she'd just reallocate it to areas of need.

Mea culpa for thinking she was clever. It always amazes me that no modern politician knows how to politic with an elevated level of thinking. What you see is less than what you'll get.
...what?

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
She talked about paying for universal childcare with the wealth tax.

She used to talk about paying for it with the increases to the military budget.

Her vote to needlessly increase the military budget wasn't apart of a broader strategy, she just wanted to increase the budget (sidebar: her grilling the Pentagon for "misplacing" billions to possible trillions of dollars is a joke in retrospect).

She's funny when it comes to the military (e.g. her green military plan is stupid as currently constructed).

King Kreole

Daps
She used to talk about paying for it with the increases to the military budget.
Do you have a citation for this, because I don't remember her ever saying that? In fact, this is from her February 19th blog post introducing this proposal:

The entire cost of this proposal can be covered by my Ultra-Millionaire Tax. The Ultra-Millionaire Tax asks the wealthiest families in America — those with a net worth of more than $50 million — to pay a small annual tax on their wealth. Experts project that the Ultra-Millionaire Tax will generate $2.75 trillion in new government revenue over the next ten years. That’s about four times more than the entire cost of my Universal Child Care and Early Learning plan.

Her vote to needlessly increase the military budget wasn't apart of a broader strategy, she just wanted to increase the budget (sidebar: her grilling the Pentagon for "misplacing" billions to possible trillions of dollars is a joke in retrospect).
Yeah she deserves criticism for that 2017 vote, and I would like her to at least explain why she voted yea. At the time she said it was because of amendments she introduced to the bill to secure pay raises for the military personnel, easing access to student loans, and bolstering protections from debt collection, which reminds me of Bernie's rationale for voting for the '94 Crime Bill. And while her 9 defense votes since that 2017 vote have been in line with the progressive/leftist foreign policy direction, I would like to hear her deliver a more full-throated expression of regret for that old vote.

She's funny when it comes to the military (e.g. her green military plan is stupid as currently constructed).
I was skeptical of her military climate change reduction plan at first, but I think it was really a victim of poor initial phrasing. Out of any candidate in the Democratic Primary, she has the most progressive plan for reducing the negative impacts of the US military on our climate. The Green New Deal is a joke without enacting efforts like Warren's plan. Her other plan to eradicate the influence of corporate lobbyists from military spending discussions is the most serious and effective plan to reduce military spending on the table at the moment.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Do you have a citation for this, because I don't remember her ever saying that? In fact, this is from her February 19th blog post introducing this proposal:

Elizabeth Warren’s plan to pass her plans

You asked me about my theory about this. This is the importance of engaging everyone. The importance not just of talking to other senators and representatives but the importance of engaging people across this country. You start to win and you can keep winning. So first thing I want to do is I want to push back. I want this anti-corruption bill. But the second thing I want is that wealth tax.

Two cents on the one-tenth of one percent, the greatest fortunes in this country, $50 million and above, and for two cents we can provide universal child care, universal pre-K, raise the wages of all our child care workers and pre-K workers, universal technical school, two-year college, four-year college, and cancel student loan debt for 95 percent of the people who’ve got it. We cancel student loan debt for 43 million Americans across this country.

[later reiterates it]

Look at it this way. I was talking a minute ago about the two-cent wealth tax. My proposal is a tax on the 75,000 biggest fortunes in this country. If you’ve got more than $50 million, the 50 millionth and first dollar gets taxed at two cents. And then two cents on every dollar after that. Two cents. What could we do with two cents? Look at the opportunity it builds in childcare and early childhood education and technical school and college and freeing up people from huge debt burdens.

In her defense, Klein never brings up the military budget or even an avenue for that conversation to be explored. However, this isn't the first time I've heard her mention the wealth tax as a way to pay for universal childcare/pre-K. It's not that I have a problem with her paying for it through the wealth tax, or postulating multiple ways to pay for it, but the willingness to take it out of the military budget was a signal.

Yeah she deserves criticism for that 2017 vote, and I would like her to at least explain why she voted yea. At the time she said it was because of amendments she introduced to the bill to secure pay raises for the military personnel, easing access to student loans, and bolstering protections from debt collection, which reminds me of Bernie's rationale for voting for the '94 Crime Bill. And while her 9 defense votes since that 2017 vote have been in line with the progressive/leftist foreign policy direction, I would like to hear her deliver a more full-throated expression of regret for that old vote.

I don't think it's comparable, but I don't care enough about Sanders to expound on this. All I need from her is to be serious about foreign policy because she's weak here and that's what the foreign policy establishment uses to prop up their bad politics. She hasn't proven herself in this arena and I have no reason to trust her instincts here.

I was skeptical of her military climate change reduction plan at first, but I think it was really a victim of poor initial phrasing. Out of any candidate in the Democratic Primary, she has the most progressive plan for reducing the negative impacts of the US military on our climate. The Green New Deal is a joke without enacting efforts like Warren's plan. Her other plan to eradicate the influence of corporate lobbyists from military spending discussions is the most serious and effective plan to reduce military spending on the table at the moment.

Her plan buys into the current paradigm of how the US operates abroad, which is hardly progressive and it makes my point about her being weak on foreign policy and why I don’t trust her instincts. She couldn't even be bothered to craft this nonsense into a Warren doctrine of international relations/foreign policy. That's a problem. There's an audience for her view of foreign policy. Who is the audience for a "green military" plan? Should it be assumed that she believes in the status quo, but green? That wouldn't even be an uncharitable interpretation of this.

Now let's move into the heart of the matter. In the two sections of her proposal with teeth, there are two waivers which undermine whatever she thinks she's trying to accomplish:

EMKyESC.png
Y5Wh0BS.png

iaQzAtb.png
Department of Defense Climate Resiliency and Readiness Act

Surely she isn't naive enough to think that the US Congress won't readily accept whatever the DOD claims would "adversely affect the [ill-defined] national security interests". Also, her additional waiver about "market conditions" is creative semantics for if costs are an issue then nevermind. Lastly, the waivers only being 30 days is irrelevant as things are regularly renewed in Congress with zero coverage.

It's not a good policy proposal, but it does make for a good headline...

King Kreole

Daps

You asked me about my theory about this. This is the importance of engaging everyone. The importance not just of talking to other senators and representatives but the importance of engaging people across this country. You start to win and you can keep winning. So first thing I want to do is I want to push back. I want this anti-corruption bill. But the second thing I want is that wealth tax.

Two cents on the one-tenth of one percent, the greatest fortunes in this country, $50 million and above, and for two cents we can provide universal child care, universal pre-K, raise the wages of all our child care workers and pre-K workers, universal technical school, two-year college, four-year college, and cancel student loan debt for 95 percent of the people who’ve got it. We cancel student loan debt for 43 million Americans across this country.

[later reiterates it]

Look at it this way. I was talking a minute ago about the two-cent wealth tax. My proposal is a tax on the 75,000 biggest fortunes in this country. If you’ve got more than $50 million, the 50 millionth and first dollar gets taxed at two cents. And then two cents on every dollar after that. Two cents. What could we do with two cents? Look at the opportunity it builds in childcare and early childhood education and technical school and college and freeing up people from huge debt burdens.
In her defense, Klein never brings up the military budget or even an avenue for that conversation to be explored. However, this isn't the first time I've heard her mention the wealth tax as a way to pay for universal childcare/pre-K. It's not that I have a problem with her paying for it through the wealth tax, or postulating multiple ways to pay for it, but the willingness to take it out of the military budget was a signal.
Nah, what I'm saying is that to my knowledge, Warren has never proposed using an increased military budget to pay for any of her proposals. In fact, I don't think her campaign has ever proposed increasing the military budget period. She never gave that signal, so I'm not sure where you got that idea. The wealth tax has always been the vehicle to pay for her proposals.

I don't think it's comparable, but I don't care enough about Sanders to expound on this. All I need from her is to be serious about foreign policy because she's weak here and that's what the foreign policy establishment uses to prop up their bad politics. She hasn't proven herself in this arena and I have no reason to trust her instincts here.
I mean, it's literally comparable. They both voted for bad bills that caused harm because there were good amendments in there. While I trust her instincts on attempting to reorganize the bureaucratic and structurally fukked up areas of the Military Industrial Complex via her Climate and Corporate Lobbyist plan, I also don't yet trust her instincts when it comes to actual utilization and deployment of troops. She did have a pretty robust rebuke of adventurism and the "Forever War" on Chris Hayes' show a while back, and she's been making the right moves recently.

In order to be very comfortable with her FP, I'd need her to continue in this direction and deliver a more robust, moralistic analysis of America's Foreign Policy history and progressive vision of its future. She's undeniably stronger on domestic policy than foreign policy right now.

Her plan buys into the current paradigm of how the US operates abroad, which is hardly progressive and it makes my point about her being weak on foreign policy and why I don’t trust her instincts. She couldn't even be bothered to craft this nonsense into a Warren doctrine of international relations/foreign policy. That's a problem. There's an audience for her view of foreign policy. Who is the audience for a "green military" plan? Should it be assumed that she believes in the status quo, but green? That wouldn't even be an uncharitable interpretation of this.
If you're looking for a plan that completely upends the current paradigm of how the US operates abroad, I don't believe you'll find it in this primary. Using those standards, everyone outside of Mike Gravel is weak on foreign policy. Which is a good and fair point! It sucks ass that the Overton window of US foreign policy is so rightward.

But I don't understand calling a proposal to make the Pentagon achieve net zero carbon emissions for all its non-combat bases and infrastructure by 2030, and funneling billions of the DoD budget to R&D for green technology "nonsense". That sounds like a right-wing smear against the Green New Deal. The audience for this is...environmentalists? People who recognize that the US Military is one of the largest contributors to climate change and their carbon footprint needs to be drastically curtailed? Seems pretty evident to me. Like, I doubt it will pacify people who want to abolish the US military, but I doubt Warren is attempting to win over that constituency.

Now let's move into the heart of the matter. In the two sections of her proposal with teeth, there are two waivers which undermine whatever she thinks she's trying to accomplish:

Surely she isn't naive enough to think that the US Congress won't readily accept whatever the DOD claims would "adversely affect the [ill-defined] national security interests". Also, her additional waiver about "market conditions" is creative semantics for if costs are an issue then nevermind. Lastly, the waivers only being 30 days is irrelevant as things are regularly renewed in Congress with zero coverage.

Yeah, the waivers are a release pressure valve that could be abused by a nefarious SecDef :francis:

Makes that nomination pretty important.

Calling this proposal "good" is subjective, but it is objectively the best proposal on the table and the only one acknowledging the untenable size of the US Military's carbon footprint.

NY's #1 Draft Pick

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

[later reiterates it]

EMKyESC.png
Y5Wh0BS.png

iaQzAtb.png

Say breh what do you thing about trumps foreign policy positions:patrice:

Also, does he have any child care plans he’s been cooking up that we can take a look at? I’d reallly like to know.:jbhmm:

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
Elizabeth Warren Wants to Ban Private Prisons: They Have ‘No Place in America’
Gideon Resnick
Political Reporter

Updated 06.21.19 9:10AM ET Published 06.21.19 9:00AM ET
190620-Resnick-warren-tease_b4dcut

Peter Foley/Shutterstock

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) wants to close all of America’s private prisons.

The latest proposal from the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate includes a pledge to end federal government contracts “that the Bureau of Prisons and ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] have with private detention providers,” which will also extend to states and localities.

conference this weekend

“The government has a basic responsibility to keep the people in its care safe—not to use their punishment as an opportunity for profit,” Warren added. “That’s why today, I’m proposing my plan to root out once and for all the profit incentives perverting our criminal and immigration systems.”

ADVERTISEMENT
The issue of private prisons has been growing in importance, especially with a 2020 Democratic primary filled with criminal justice reform proposals. Critics charge that profit motives have led to a desire for higher incarceration and worse conditions. According to a 2018 study from The Sentencing Project, an advocacy center working to reduce incarceration, the largest private prison corporations generated revenue of some $3.5 billion as of 2015. From 2000 to 2016, the number of people incarcerated in private prisons went up by 47 percent while the overall prison population went up nine percent. The industry has seenan improvement since President Trump’s election, as former Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded a memo from the Obama administration calling for private prisons to be wound down.

:jawalrus: best candidate looking better

Elizabeth Warren Wants to Ban Private Prisons: They Have ‘No Place in America’

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Nah, what I'm saying is that to my knowledge, Warren has never proposed using an increased military budget to pay for any of her proposals. In fact, I don't think her campaign has ever proposed increasing the military budget period. She never gave that signal, so I'm not sure where you got that idea. The wealth tax has always been the vehicle to pay for her proposals.

She brought up the military budget increase when she first started talking about the childcare policy. Additionally, her website mentions to cutting military spending. That’s what I’m talking about when I said signaling, cutting military spending. She doesn’t have to use the surplus from cutting military spending on childcare, but that’s one of the few times I recall her bringing military spending up on the trail.

I mean, it's literally comparable. They both voted for bad bills that caused harm because there were good amendments in there. While I trust her instincts on attempting to reorganize the bureaucratic and structurally fukked up areas of the Military Industrial Complex via her Climate and Corporate Lobbyist plan, I also don't yet trust her instincts when it comes to actual utilization and deployment of troops. She did have a pretty robust rebuke of adventurism and the "Forever War" on Chris Hayes' show a while back, and she's been making the right moves recently.

In order to be very comfortable with her FP, I'd need her to continue in this direction and deliver a more robust, moralistic analysis of America's Foreign Policy history and progressive vision of its future. She's undeniably stronger on domestic policy than foreign policy right now.

That’s reductive. Sanders’ vote for the Crime Bill seems irregular within the context of his overall record which lends credence to his explanation for why he voted for it. Warren doesn’t have anything like that on foreign policy or military spending. That’s why I don’t view them as comparable, they don’t have equal credibility. The Crime Bill was substantively worse vote though.

Candidate Obama also claimed similar things, but that didn’t seem to inform his decisions when it came selecting advisors and staff. Warren doesn’t have more credibility than he did regarding foreign policy. I could see her being mindful of his growing pains and pick up where he left off, but anything beyond that seems like projection at this point.

If you're looking for a plan that completely upends the current paradigm of how the US operates abroad, I don't believe you'll find it in this primary. Using those standards, everyone outside of Mike Gravel is weak on foreign policy. Which is a good and fair point! It sucks ass that the Overton window of US foreign policy is so rightward.

But I don't understand calling a proposal to make the Pentagon achieve net zero carbon emissions for all its non-combat bases and infrastructure by 2030, and funneling billions of the DoD budget to R&D for green technology "nonsense". That sounds like a right-wing smear against the Green New Deal. The audience for this is...environmentalists? People who recognize that the US Military is one of the largest contributors to climate change and their carbon footprint needs to be drastically curtailed? Seems pretty evident to me. Like, I doubt it will pacify people who want to abolish the US military, but I doubt Warren is attempting to win over that constituency.

That’s a mischaracterization of what I wrote. I never claimed to be looking for a plan that “completely upends” the current paradigm. Mike Gravel is relevant to me because...? Nevermind this entire paragraph is just some weird projection that isn't worth my time.

You said this was progressive, I said buying into the current paradigm is hardly progressive. As it presently stands, her plan is equivalent to making sure 50 percent of the staff is composed of women whenever a prison is built. Hiring more women is great; however, placing that in a vacuum and ignoring the rest of the context misses the point and is problematic.

Her website doesn’t state anything specific about what international relations looks like in the Warren administration. Without articulating her own foreign policy, this proposal can only be interpreted as the status quo except green… well, unless it affects national security interests or “market conditions” make it difficult. When the best outcome of an initiative is eco-friendly imperialism, then said initiative needs to be reassessed.

This proposal isn’t for environmental activists, the first thing many in that group will point out are the waivers because they are used to politicians adding crippling caveats. This proposal is for the those who read headlines about female drone operators or gay CEO’s of military contractors and think it’s woke and progressive. It’s for those who equivocate restraint with abolishing the military. Like I said before, it’s to get good headlines since most people don’t read anything beyond them.
Yeah, the waivers are a release pressure valve that could be abused by a nefarious SecDef :francis:

Makes that nomination pretty important.

Calling this proposal "good" is subjective, but it is objectively the best proposal on the table and the only one acknowledging the untenable size of the US Military's carbon footprint.

Your definition of nefarious seems to be uselessly broad. It wouldn’t take Tom Cotton to utilize these waivers often with something as ambiguous as national security interests and a timetable of 2030. Thinking something like that shows ignorance about how political actors operate, but I know you to be a well thought person. You keep talking about the carbon footprint, I’ll questioning why killing innocent brown people from a solar powered military base, if market conditions allow for it, is worthwhile policy. I’m not giving her a pass on having an incomplete analysis just because she’s my preferred candidate. She needs to do better and I expect her to.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Say breh what do you thing about trumps foreign policy positions:patrice:

Also, does he have any child care plans he’s been cooking up that we can take a look at? I’d reallly like to know.:jbhmm:

Big picture, Trump generally has the typical GOP foreign policy, but he's less stable than his predecessors and he likes dictators. Anyone who watches the news could tell you that, but I guess you prefer Love & Hip Hop. Do you also need me to educate you on what GOP foreign policy is?

Ivanka had one and it was terrible. Basically, the plan allowed people access to their social security funds early to pay for childcare. Do you need me to educate you on why this is a terrible policy?

If you answered yes to either of those questions, then you'll need to PayPal me $100. Otherwise, you aren't worth any more of my time.

King Kreole

Daps
She brought up the military budget increase when she first started talking about the childcare policy. Additionally, her website mentions to cutting military spending. That’s what I’m talking about when I said signaling, cutting military spending. She doesn’t have to use the surplus from cutting military spending on childcare, but that’s one of the few times I recall her bringing military spending up on the trail.
:yeshrug:I don't remember her ever connecting any of her proposal funding to the military budget.
That’s reductive. Sanders’ vote for the Crime Bill seems irregular within the context of his overall record which lends credence to his explanation for why he voted for it. Warren doesn’t have anything like that on foreign policy or military spending. That’s why I don’t view them as comparable, they don’t have equal credibility. The Crime Bill was substantively worse vote though.
Yeah, that's a good point w/r/t Bernie's overall history, which is why I don't hold that vote against him like anti-Sanders people do, ridiculously trying to paint him as some sort of crypto-racist.

Where I disagree is the claim that Warren's record should rob her claim of credence and she doesn't have credibility here. That vote is very much so irregular in the context of her overall record. She has 21 defense votes on her record. She was out of lockstep with Bernie, often considered the voice of the progressive left FP, in only 2 out of those 21 votes: the 2017 military funding vote we're talking about and Obama's nomination of John Brennan. 90% of her record has been in line with the progressive option. That gives her credibility when she explains why she took that aberrant 2017 vote.

Candidate Obama also claimed similar things, but that didn’t seem to inform his decisions when it came selecting advisors and staff. Warren doesn’t have more credibility than he did regarding foreign policy. I could see her being mindful of his growing pains and pick up where he left off, but anything beyond that seems like projection at this point.
Warren comes from a distinctly different political philosophy and background than Barack Obama. The main flaw of the latter was that he believed in the conciliatory, both-sides-working-together fraudulent myth of American politics due to his neoliberal philosophy. He was habitually incapable of naming enemies of progress. Warren is the complete inverse. Not only does she go after them by name, effectively channeling the righteous resentment and anger amongst the various underclasses to the true enemies of progress, but she has penned herself into following through on rhetoric by laying out actual plans, the degree to which is unprecedented in modern political campaigning. Of course it's possible she could turn around and name a bunch of Wall Street execs and Neocons to her cabinet. Anyone could. But unlike Obama, it would just be an utterly bizarre rebuke of the philosophy she spent her entire political and academic life championing. Of course this is a projection, same as you saying you could see her picking up where he left off. No one knows what she'll do, we just have to make informed decisions based on her history, none of which indicates she'll fall into the same traps that led the Obama administration to be such a disappointing failure to progressives.

That’s a mischaracterization of what I wrote. I never claimed to be looking for a plan that “completely upends” the current paradigm. Mike Gravel is relevant to me because...? Nevermind this entire paragraph is just some weird projection that isn't worth my time.
You literally equated "buying into the current paradigm of how the US operates abroad" with "being weak on foreign policy" and "untrustworthy", so I'm not sure how saying you're looking for a plan/candidate to upend that paradigm is a mischaracterization of what you wrote. Mike Gravel is the only candidate offering such upending, so I figured that would be relevant to what you were saying. My apologies.

You said this was progressive, I said buying into the current paradigm is hardly progressive. As it presently stands, her plan is equivalent to making sure 50 percent of the staff is composed of women whenever a prison is built. Hiring more women is great; however, placing that in a vacuum and ignoring the rest of the context misses the point and is problematic.

Her website doesn’t state anything specific about what international relations looks like in the Warren administration. Without articulating her own foreign policy, this proposal can only be interpreted as the status quo except green… well, unless it affects national security interests or “market conditions” make it difficult. When the best outcome of an initiative is eco-friendly imperialism, then said initiative needs to be reassessed.

This proposal isn’t for environmental activists, the first thing many in that group will point out are the waivers because they are used to politicians adding crippling caveats. This proposal is for the those who read headlines about female drone operators or gay CEO’s of military contractors and think it’s woke and progressive. It’s for those who equivocate restraint with abolishing the military. Like I said before, it’s to get good headlines since most people don’t read anything beyond them.
I don't believe I ever said this plan is "progressive", I said it's the "most progressive plan out there" which, in the FP realm, is like saying "least racist".

I'm familiar with your critique of Warren's plan as it was mostly promulgated by a certain very active section of twitter minutes after she released it, which really indicates to me that the genesis of this critique was born of superficial analysis of the headline without digesting the actual proposal and its implications. In a more decontextualized sense, it's a very valid critique of neoliberal ideology as a whole, but in this context, it really only works best on people who are already primed and conditioned to view Warren as a crypto-neoliberal in the mold of Hillary Clinton. Anyone who claims this plan is a panacea for the American Military Industrial Complex is either an idiot or morally bankrupt. On the other hand, waving away the goal of net-zero carbon emissions for the largest polluter in America and funneling billions into green tech R&D as eco-friendly imperialism (a nonsensical term that ignores the unbreakably causal link between America's imperialist foreign policy and America's catastrophic environmental policies) is obviously a fool's luxury.

You call this proposal "status quo except green" which is a strange turn of phrase, because a crucial element of the status quo is being environmentally disastrous. Enacting policies such as this would necessarily, meaningfully refashion the status quo. The same odd critique could be levied against the Green New Deal for not wanting to overturn more aspects of American society, as right-wingers claim is the ultimate aims of the environmental activists fighting for these policies (kill all farting cows, abolish air travel, etc). Decarbonization and large scale investments in green technology are two of the main pillars of the GND, so when a plan is released supporting those ends and one's first response is to say it's a ploy to get headlines - the ultimate aim of which is to allow the American war machine to continue unabated - I'm not seeing how that person isn't either a conservative or unnecessarily conspiratorial. This plan does not solve all of America's foreign policy evils, and it doesn't even offer a deeply moralistic rebuke of them. It should not be confused with a novel, broader philosophy of what America's role should be in the global community of the 21st century (one could glean more of this in her Green Marshall Plan). What it is is a plan to address the largest polluter in American society by mandating drastic reductions in its carbon footprint (which has the second-order effect of reducing its reach) and redirecting its budget to developing green technologies. That's it. It's one component of her foreign policy platform, not the whole thing.

Your definition of nefarious seems to be uselessly broad. It wouldn’t take Tom Cotton to utilize these waivers often with something as ambiguous as national security interests and a timetable of 2030. Thinking something like that shows ignorance about how political actors operate, but I know you to be a well thought person. You keep talking about the carbon footprint, I’ll questioning why killing innocent brown people from a solar powered military base, if market conditions allow for it, is worthwhile policy. I’m not giving her a pass on having an incomplete analysis just because she’s my preferred candidate. She needs to do better and I expect her to.
Understanding and valuing the importance of the goals laid out in these proposals is the line in the sand for whether I consider a SecDef nefarious or not. If they seek to abuse these waivers, they're nefarious. I don't think that's a uselessly broad litmus test, I think it the basic minimum needed to ensure continued survival on this planet. In our current techno-ecological environment, the US Military's ability to murder innocent brown people across the globe is inextricably linked to their energy consumption habits. Forcing a net-zero carbon footprint will severely curtail the broad reach of the US military. Again, it's not a panacea, but it's a good and drastic step that's worthy of being followed through on.