Elden Ring has lost 50% of it's player base in one month!

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
That’s what I’m saying, the over the top hype this game gets compared to the nitpicking other games gets is insane to me. How is this game a 10 but horizon not? To me the o ot 10 out of 10 games the past few years was horizon, ghosts and imo final fantasy remake. I’m sure you can throw in another but what sets this game apart from those? Other than being insanely difficult and bing able to explore?

I think I’m more mad at the reviewers for not stating that this game isn’t for everyone and those it’s more niche, imo niche games can’t be the genre defining, culture advancing game they say this is. And lastly is there even a story or are you just wondering around on some monster hunter type shyt?

it's because we're in a pickle here; Souls games tapped into a new realm that a franchise never truly tapped into.

creating a sense of elitism in the community for gamers that want to think they are good. For example, most gamers play shyt on normal difficulty (not me) souls came along and didn't have a difficulty level, so now people think "gosh man this is the hardest franchise". nah, there's harder games, but again most people choose the easier setting in those games.

So you give a community of primarily nerds who finally have something they can say they do better than someone else, and makes them feel like they are on a certain pantheon on gamer-ness and here we are. It somehow gives "gamer cred" and thats why you see it getting what it is getting.

when in reality, you give the majority of these people ninja gaiden on master ninja and they'd never finish it. You tell them to hit an SSS combo in DMC and they'd lack the mechanical dexterity to pull it off. But souls? it's the most american japanese combat game ever made, hence why so many people here fukk with it more than bayonetta, DMC or Ninja gaiden. Very basic results based control scheme, meat and potatoes, simplistic just like westerners like it.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Souls fans don’t give a fukk about the “story”

Whole point of the game is that it doesn’t waste time with that crap and it’s all about the gameplay and roll playing.

The combat is very different than the action games you mentioned. It is a true RPG. Combat is about strategy and roll playing, not twitch skills with the controller. You can boost your abilities to match or exceed every boss in the game, most of their moves you can do them yourself. It’s all about the strategy you want to bring to the fight.

Let me preface this by saying Im 130 hours in the game. I know and understand this game, and it's not hard either. Most of the souls fans I watch suck at this game they love so much, which makes me think they probably can't even execute anything sick in other games.

and "waste time" that's the most casual gamer shyt you could ever say...

let me ask you a question and I want you to be very honest...

take a generic dude bro who doesn't really play games much, and present him with two games:

the witcher 3 and Elden Ring

which game do you feel a dumb casual, frat dude, will most likely play longer. The answer will tell you everything about that game. and I think you know the answer to this; but I want to see if you'll be honest.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Let me preface this by saying Im 130 hours in the game. I know and understand this game, and it's not hard either. Most of the souls fans I watch suck at this game they love so much, which makes me think they probably can't even execute anything sick in other games.

and "waste time" that's the most casual gamer shyt you could ever say...
I’m a casual cause I said too much story is “waisting time”?? :dahell:

I think you got that backwards, it’s casual gamers that need a “story” to draw them to a game. I’m in it to PLAY the game. That’s why the Souls series appeals to me. Everything is about playing the game. No fluff.

let me ask you a question and I want you to be very honest...

take a generic dude bro who doesn't really play games much, and present him with two games:

the witcher 3 and Elden Ring

which game do you feel a dumb casual, frat dude, will most likely play longer. The answer will tell you everything about that game. and I think you know the answer to this; but I want to see if you'll be honest.
I don’t think he’d play either for very long.

Witcher 3 starts slow AF with lots of story and lore that the average person won’t care about, and combat is terrible early on.

Elden ring would push them away cause they keep getting their ass kicked.

Maybe his Witcher 3 playtime would be longer cause he was watching a bunch of movies :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
when in reality, you give the majority of these people ninja gaiden on master ninja and they'd never finish it. You tell them to hit an SSS combo in DMC and they'd lack the mechanical dexterity to pull it off. But souls? it's the most american japanese combat game ever made, hence why so many people here fukk with it more than bayonetta, DMC or Ninja gaiden. Very basic results based control scheme, meat and potatoes, simplistic just like westerners like it.
You are selling the souls games short here. Just because it’s not combo based doesn’t make the controls “simplistic”

A huge complaint by people who say the souls games are too hard is that there are too many buttons/functions to manage.

You do have to be skilled with the controller to play the souls games it’s just in a different way. Your “combo”may be switching to or pulling out different potions/abilities in real time.

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
Half of the playerbase after a month on a singleplayer game is good :dahell:

Especially in a game casuals can't beat without help

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I’m a casual cause I said too much story is “waisting time”?? :dahell:

I think you got that backwards, it’s casual gamers that need a “story” to draw them to a game. I’m in it to PLAY the game. That’s why the Souls series appeals to me. Everything is about playing the game. No fluff.

I don’t think he’d play either for very long.

Witcher 3 starts slow AF with lots of story and lore that the average person won’t care about, and combat is terrible early on.

Elden ring would push them away cause they keep getting their ass kicked.

Maybe his Witcher 3 playtime would be longer cause he was watching a bunch of movies :manny:

dude you know casuals, they don't get invested in a game long enough to watch anything, casuals skip cutscenes, casuals want action immediately and lack the attention span to listen to anything for 2 seconds. which games caters to that person better?

with your logic, metal gear is just a movie, mass effect is just a movie, Final Fantasy is just a movie , Shenmue, etc alot of important games you are throwing under the rug because you like to run around with no context and hit things.

someone who loves games wouldn't consider what the witcher 3 did and achieved as "movies", those scenes, stories and characters gave context to me doing far more various things than JUST combat, or gave a more compelling reason to get through a moment in combat.
Creative quests that had me going to festivals, creating relationships, resurrecting botched children, sacrificing children to witches, negotiating with a succubus regarding whether I should kill her or not, are things I'll never experience in a souls game. just fighting. that's it.

which is cool, I like things about elden ring and can speak on those things, but when a gamer doesn't respect what these other games do? That's when I draw the line and scream casual. because they have a narrow view of what makes a game a game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
dude you know casuals, they don't get invested in a game long enough to watch anything, casuals skip cutscenes, casuals want action immediately and lack the attention span to listen to anything for 2 seconds. which games caters to that person better?
I agree, but I don’t think souls fits this either cause casuals don’t like to die a lot. So they’d nope out of souls quick too.

It’s weird you are trying to argue that souls appeals to casuals when we see that’s clearly not the case for over a decade.

with your logic, metal gear is just a movie, mass effect is just a movie, Final Fantasy is just a movie , Shenmue, etc alot of important games you are throwing under the rug because you like to run around with no context and hit things.
Some games strike a good balance. Souls has its place and those games have theirs. What’s common in all of them is the gameplay is top notch and unique in each one. That’s why they stand the test of time imo.

someone who loves games wouldn't consider what the witcher 3 did and achieved as "movies", those scenes, stories and characters gave context to me doing far more various things than JUST combat, or gave a more compelling reason to get through a moment in combat.
Creative quests that had me going to festivals, creating relationships, resurrecting botched children, sacrificing children to witches, negotiating with a succubus regarding whether I should kill her or not, are things I'll never experience in a souls game. just fighting. that's it.

which is cool, I like things about elden ring and can speak on those things, but when a gamer doesn't respect what these other games do? That's when I draw the line and scream casual. because they have a narrow view of what makes a game a game.
The shyts movies bro.

I love the Witcher 3, but it also has lots of movies, you are correct in that the movies intertwine with the gameplay in a way rarely seen in a game.

But the Majority of games don’t fit that bill.

Dude was talking about Horizon, that shyt don’t do none of that, and is about as casual as you can get :martin:

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
You are selling the souls games short here. Just because it’s not combo based doesn’t make the controls “simplistic”

A huge complaint by people who say the souls games are too hard is that there are too many buttons/functions to manage.

You do have to be skilled with the controller to play the souls games it’s just in a different way. Your “combo”may be switching to or pulling out different potions/abilities in real time.

It's not difficult to control because there is alot to learn mechanically. The only difficulty in it's controls is because it's a relatively cumbersome interface. big difference. you are kind of working around FROM intentional or unintentional stiff controls, UI, lack of animation canceling, slow frames etc.

I'm a gamer, and I consider it pretty simple lol I can't exactly sit in a room for hours and creatively put together different movesets like I can in those games, far more fun that getting good at switching to dagegrs very quickly from your potion lol. it's pretty simple for a gamer that's good at combat games.

Even you can admit that FROM isn't as talented in the controls department as Team Ninja, old school Capcom, or Platinum games. If you can't then maybe we need to remind some people...

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's not difficult to control because there is alot to learn mechanically. The only difficulty in it's controls is because it's a relatively cumbersome interface. big difference. you are kind of working around FROM intentional or unintentional stiff controls, UI, lack of animation canceling, slow frames etc.
All of that is deliberate. Your button presses have to be very precise and deliberate. It’s not “cumbersome” there’s lots to manage and lots you can do during combat.

Other games are very simple in that aspect. You only need to worry about hitting combos.

I'm a gamer, and I consider it pretty simple lol I can't exactly sit in a room for hours and creatively put together different movesets like I can in those games, far more fun that getting good at switching to dagegrs very quickly from your potion lol. it's pretty simple for a gamer that's good at combat games.

Even you can admit that FROM isn't as talented in the controls department as Team Ninja, old school Capcom, or Platinum games. If you can't then maybe we need to remind some people...
It’s different.

Like I said in the first post. Those games are about your twitch skills with the controller. How fast you can memorize and hit a certain combo of buttons.

The souls series difficulty lies in managing all of the systems.

That doesn’t make either more difficult or easy imo, just different.

Though I do think it’s a lot easier to make it through one of the action games you mentioned unless you purposely challenge yourself by playing on hard and/or attempting elaborate combos.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I agree, but I don’t think souls fits this either cause casuals don’t like to die a lot. So they’d nope out of souls quick too.

It’s weird you are trying to argue that souls appeals to casuals when we see that’s clearly not the case for over a decade.

Im making the comparison because there's a narrative coming around that these games "hold your hand" and FROM is the "KING" of hardcore because it has little direction blah blah blah.

gamers are disrespecting other games that frankly...do alot more in order to pedestal Elden Ring, when if the game is that good...you don't need to do that. you didn't need to say much to know that Half Life 2 was shytting on everyone...I could just show you a video of it in 2004 and not have to say a word.
FROM games dont look that dope on video so they have to find other ways to bring it up.

I don't care if you do this for mediocre games like Horizon....but when motherfukkers start disrespecting even the witcher in favor of a FROM game that does way less, I have issues. And it screams "I don't respect storytelling or good creative and varied quests, I just like to fight" Casual dude bro shyt. and there's alot of casuals playing Elden ring on youtube, getting through it alot easier than they would a witcher game from an attention span standpoint. let me just say that....

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
All of that is deliberate. Your button presses have to be very precise and deliberate. It’s not “cumbersome” there’s lots to manage and lots you can do during combat.

Other games are very simple in that aspect. You only need to worry about hitting combos.

It’s different.

Like I said in the first post. Those games are about your twitch skills with the controller. How fast you can memorize and hit a certain combo of buttons.

The souls series difficulty lies in managing all of the systems.

That doesn’t make either more difficult or easy imo, just different.

Though I do think it’s a lot easier to make it through one of the action games you mentioned unless you purposely challenge yourself by playing on hard and/or attempting elaborate combos.

well yeah that's what we're talking about, playing on hard lol the only thing FROM did is release a game that didn't have a difficulty setting.

For someone who plays all his games on very hard. God of war 2 was more of a struggle on titan for sure. and guess what? those games didn't have me feeling janky in a cheap attempt to make it harder. I felt fluid as fukk in ninja gaiden, DMC, GoW and it was STILL hard.

that's good design. I remember one of the directors had a philosophy that you don't make a game hard by limiting the player, you give him full fluidity and options, and make the enemies match that. FROM violates that tenant for sure. makes the difficulty feel artificial.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
well yeah that's what we're talking about, playing on hard lol the only thing FROM did is release a game that didn't have a difficulty setting.

For someone who plays all his games on very hard. God of war 2 was more of a struggle on titan for sure. and guess what? those games didn't have me feeling janky in a cheap attempt to make it harder. I felt fluid as fukk in ninja gaiden, DMC, GoW and it was STILL hard.

that's good design. I remember one of the directors had a philosophy that you don't make a game hard by limiting the player, you give him full fluidity and options, and make the enemies match that. FROM violates that tenant for sure. makes the difficulty feel artificial.
The souls games are balanced in that you can make them as hard or as easy as you want.

One of those butt naked lvl 1 playthtoughs are harder than playing one of those action games on hard.

And I’m not sure why you keep saying the players is “limited” in souls games. You have all types of combat options and controls are 1 to 1. You hit a button you get an action on screen. That’s about as “fluid” as you can get.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
The souls games are balanced in that you can make them as hard or as easy as you want.

One of those butt naked lvl 1 playthtoughs are harder than playing one of those action games on hard.

And I’m not sure why you keep saying the players is “limited” in souls games. You have all types of combat options and controls are 1 to 1. You hit a button you get an action on screen. That’s about as “fluid” as you can get.

Bruh are we not able to agree that bayonetta for example feels better than a souls game? Or god of war etc? Good meaning what you want to do and what the character does match up entirely.

FROM not having animation canceling already by design makes it less fluid and not feel as good. Also not to mention the animations are generally slow by comparison. I actually find dark souls lame and unplayable because of that horrid roll dodge that other games have done better. I need to have bloodhound step to make the game feel better lol hence why i liked bloodborne more than souls.

Maybe im old or something. Feels like alot of people forgot what nasty combat feels like. Because it aint souls

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Bruh are we not able to agree that bayonetta for example feels better than a souls game? Or god of war etc? Good meaning what you want to do and what the character does match up entirely.
Feels better as in quicker/more responsive. Sure I agree with that. As I said they are very different styles of game,

FROM not having animation canceling already by design makes it less fluid and not feel as good. Also not to mention the animations are generally slow by comparison. I actually find dark souls lame and unplayable because of that horrid roll dodge that other games have done better. I need to have bloodhound step to make the game feel better lol hence why i liked bloodborne more than souls.

Maybe im old or something. Feels like alot of people forgot what nasty combat feels like. Because it aint souls
You are fixated on this “feel” argument. Souls is an RPG. Those are action games. Souls controls are deliberate. When you swing you have to commit. You have to manage your stamina. That’s part of the “skill” or “difficulty” of the game.

You have to manage different buffs and affinities etc. Even down to the level design and exploration. There’s so much more going on in a souls game for you to fixate on the fact that the combat isn’t as “fast” as the others. The games are a whole genre apart.