El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Official Thread)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I like how that point A to B logic manifests itself in some peculiar ways that I don't always see coming, but in hindsight I totally should have.

For example, I knew that Walt wasn't going to use that M60 in a Rambo or Scarface one-man army type of way. But I still thought he might have his own hands on it when he used it. I should've seen the science/gadget aspect of it coming. Same thing with Jesse in El Camino. I should've known that Jesse wasn't going to fast-draw off with a little .22 antique against a more legit bad ass that clearly knew how to use guns. I should've seen the 2nd gun in the jacket pocket coming, but I sort of fell for it like I did with Walt and the M60.

So I like how Vince G. has this way of subverting genre expectations but doing it in ways don't jump the shark or seem inauthentic to the characters he wrote.

Once the story got going I didn't think Jesse would die. I'd heard Vince say before that he liked to imagine Jesse finding some peace of mind after the events of BrBa, and by the time Jesse left Badger and Pete's crib I figured Vince was going to stay that course and just show us how Jesse will get started onto his new life and clean up his loose ends, the same way Walt came back in Felina to clean up his loose ends.

And I don't know if Vince is a fan of happy endings or not, but in a Walt definitely got a much happier ending than I thought he might (at least he got to die content and knowing his family would be taken care of, with Jesse free and the Nazis dead), and Jesse also got his happy ending...or at least as happy as could be considering everything he'd bee through.

He did say in his mind Jesse got a happy ending but he also said he'd realistically be in police custody.

I expected this to be 100x darker because Gilligan on his own is super fukking dark. His original ideas for "Breaking Bad" had Jesse dead in season 1, Walt's son dead in season 2, Skyler dead by suicide, etc. The rest of the writers talked him out of all that.

Not to mention his original script for "Hancock" was closer in tone to something like "The Boys"....but Will Smith had them edit the fukk out of it.

He wrote this alone but I guess he felt Jesse had suffered enough.

As far as Walt's happy ending....I wrote a bit about that a while back:

https://www.thecoli.com/posts/33706484/

Was Walt CG or digitally De aged? He looked weird as hell

I doubt they did all that. I'm 90% sure he had on a bald cap, though.

Fred.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Just curious, how far into BCS are you? The 1st season was very slow IMO and I was sort of wondering where they were going, but the 2nd season really started getting my attention, and the 3rd season I honestly have on par with some BrBa seasons. I thought BrBa was a show that was a slow burn and I always told skeptics that they'd love it if they could get through the first 2 seasons. With BCS I tell people they just have to make it through season 1.

At this point I think BCS is cooking on all cylinders and I think the majority of season 3 is as compelling as some of the best parts of BrBa. I even think some of the cinematography and technical aspects are arguably even better, because it's the same people and they didn't need as much time to hit a stride and get a good rhythm going.

It's obviously a different show, nut I think it really adds to the BrBa universe, and vice versa. It's not easy to have 2 shows that make each other better like that.
I stopped at the beginning of season 3.

Just found Mike far more compelling than what was going on with Saul/Jimmy

Which is a shame cause Saul was one of my favorite characters in Breaking Bad.

I might give it another shot though.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

if u made it thru the first 2 seasons, u should definitely watch seasons 3 and 4. that's where u start getting BB levels of television each weak.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
He did say in his mind Jesse got a happy ending but he also said he'd realistically be in police custody.

I expected this to be 100x darker because Gilligan on his own is super fukking dark. His original ideas for "Breaking Bad" had Jesse dead in season 1, Walt's son dead in season 2, Skyler dead by suicide, etc. The rest of the writers talked him out of all that.

Not to mention his original script for "Hancock" was closer in tone to something like "The Boys"....but Will Smith had them edit the fukk out of it.

Fred.
Good posts in that thread. Very good. Made me appreciate a few things I think I intuitively understood but wouldn't be able to otherwise express.

In regards to me deeming Walt's ending a happy ending. I guess I should say I was expecting worse for him. I know he lost his family, his brother-in-law is dead, etc. I just meant that in the final moments of the show, he was in a lab, surrounded by chemistry, and his life's work. He admitted that he did it for selfish reasons ('I liked it'), and that it made him feel 'alive' when he was dying, and that it was empowering because he 'was good at it.' In his final moments, he did at least get to die knowing that he had cleaned up his loose ends and that his family would be taken care of financially. And he got to punch out while being in the lab, where he felt most alive. That's all I meant by that, and I probably should've fleshed it out more. And happy wasn't the best word choice I could've used.

And I know you've seen the clip, but when Aaron and Bryan are reading the last episode's script together, I think when Bryan is reading the last words he says that there's a look of content on Walt's face as the camera pulls up into the air like it did on Crawl Space.

edit:
1:55-2:10

REAL6

All Star
Daps

Fred.

He had a shaved head but you have to remember, he's in his 60's. He got older (more wrinkles, fatter, etc)P it's the cameras compared to the cameras they used on the show.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

Aw man. You gotta do season 3. It's got moments that are as tense and suspenseful as anything on BrBa. If you like Mike and Gus they take a major step forward in season 3, and everything becomes way more serious. The stakes get higher. If you found Mike's story compelling then you would really, really like season 3. I had some real patience issues with S1 and S2 improved a little bit I thought, but S3 is must-watch television IMO. And there's a scene in S3 that's just as if not more brutal than the boxcutter scene on Breaking Bad.

REAL6

All Star
Daps
Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:mjlol: at "body shamed." I should've figured there would be some bullshyt like this floating around.

No one is shaming him by pointing out that he got paid to play a character a played 6 years ago and looks nothing like the same guy. Now, obviously there are lots of reasons this could've happened that aren't the actor's fault. Maybe he didn't have much time. Maybe he had to gain weight for another role. Maybe he offered to a Vince G. didn't care. Maybe he has legit medical issues that make it difficult for him to lose weight. Etc.

The point is that people are just poking fun at the guy for his character being super overweight when at this point in time the character shouldn't be.

And obviously I now you @REAL6 know this, but I'm just talking as if I were addressing the people putting forward this body shaming idea. Is anyone really shaming Jesse Plemmons, the real person, for having a gut and gaining some weight? I doubt it.

This false outrage culture is so transparently full of shyt.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
lol at body shamed

It’s called taking your craft seriously..can’t believe Gilligan signed off on dude

it’s disrespecting the fans/public having him out there like that

he’s in the Irishman too :pachaha:
Yeah. I mean again I do think there are some circumstances where maybe it couldn't be helped. Maybe he has medical condition or maybe he was contractually obligated for a prior agreement to gain weight for another project or something like that.

But it's ridiculous to not expect fans of one of the most famous shows of all time to not notice in a highly anticipated movie that one of the main characters has gained a ton of weight when the other characters looked a lot more like how they did during the show's run.

it's human nature to notice and to speak up on it.

:manny: