EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
both sides are right & wrong.

the bias is towards the dominant east coast stylings of the early-mid '90s and those that keep it going. not necessarily towards east coast artists.

outkast
goodie mob
Kanye west
pharcyde
etc etc

all got constant praise. while I can name a ton of east coast acts that didn't subscribe to these sounds, that got low-balled in the ratings.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Albums that originally received five mics:

Albums that were not rated upon their releases, but were later rated five mics in 2002:

Albums that originally received 4.5 mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Albums that originally received four mics, and were later re-rated to five:

THE BOLDED SHOWS HOW MANY ALBUMS HAD TO BE EAST COAST TO GARNER 5 MICS

Notice all west coast albums that got 5 mics were either from ruthless or deathrow records at some point in their careers
@mobbinfms stop lying please. We know they're bias

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
both sides are right & wrong.

the bias is towards the dominant east coast stylings of the early-mid '90s and those that keep it going. not necessarily towards east coast artists.

outkast
goodie mob
Kanye west
pharcyde
etc etc

all got constant praise. while I can name a ton of east coast acts that didn't subscribe to these sounds, that got low-balled in the ratings.
Naw i'm right PERIOD
Look at the 5 mic shyt i posted.
Proof is all there

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Naw i'm right PERIOD
Look at the 5 mic shyt i posted.
Proof is all there

have you ever heard any of those albums? they all fit the description I laid out.

was it east coast bias when the source gave 5 mics to outkast over the likes of DMX & jay-z?
was it east coast bias when Kanye west would get like 4 1/2 mics while dipset used to get ridiculous 3 1/2 ratings?

no. its the personal preference of the journalists and whats hot with their offbrand crowd. sometimes the stuff they rate highly, hits outside of their crowd, sometimes it doesn't. either way, theyre gonna make sure it gets high ratings.

now granted, I'm sure theres some east coast bias involved. but the main bias is in the style of music.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
have you ever heard any of those albums? they all fit the description I laid out.

was it east coast bias when the source gave 5 mics to outkast over the likes of DMX & jay-z?
was it east coast bias when Kanye west would get like 4 1/2 mics while dipset used to get ridiculous 3 1/2 ratings?

no. its the personal preference of the journalists and whats hot with their offbrand crowd. sometimes the stuff they rate highly, hits outside of their crowd, sometimes it doesn't. either way, theyre gonna make sure it gets high ratings.

now granted, I'm sure theres some east coast bias involved. but the main bias is in the style of music.
I could care less bout that 3 1//////2 4 mic shyt u talking.
I clearly see the following

Albums that were not rated upon their releases, but were later rated five mics in 2002:

Albums that originally received 4.5 mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Albums that originally received four mics, and were later re-rated to five:

THE BOLDED SHOWS HOW MANY ALBUMS HAD TO BE EAST COAST TO GARNER 5 MICS

Notice all west coast albums that got 5 mics were either from ruthless or deathrow records at some point in their careers

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Tbh the best music on the west coast at the time was coming from artists from the NWA tree tho. Groups like CMW weren't making 5 mic albums

THIS.

And the fact that people think other shyt shoulda got 5 mics on some "medal for everyone that participated" shyt is comedy. Yeah there were other West Coast acts out during the NWA era, but their shyt wasn't on par with those NWA/Cube/Dre/DOC shyts... and I'm not talkin' about popularity or any of that shyt, when them NWA/Dre/Cube/DOC shyts dropped, that was some of the greatest shyt you ever heard. West Coast, East Coast or where ever, undeniable... I can't say the same thing about some of the others that people think shoulda been gifted a 5 just because.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
THIS.

And the fact that people think other shyt shoulda got 5 mics on some "medal for everyone that participated" shyt is comedy.
Yeah there were other West Coast acts out during the NWA era, but their shyt wasn't on par with those NWA/Cube/Dre/DOC shyts... and I'm not talkin' about popularity or any of that shyt, when them NWA/Dre/Cube/DOC shyts dropped, that was some of the greatest shyt you ever heard. West Coast, East Coast or where ever, undeniable... I can't say the same thing about some of the others that people think shoulda been gifted a 5 just because.
nikkas love pretending. Naw i wouldnt want albums to get 5 mics just because. HOWEVER i see albums on their list that are from NY that arent great at all. Illmatic has mostly forgettable beats and the same goes for OB4CL.
One could argue,that's my opinion and claim i'm talking crazy. But according to RiAA people werent on neither one of these so called classics despite me regularly seeing videos for them on tv during their initial runs .
nikkas wanna act like every 5 mic ny album is as good as the other ones,lmao.

So let me get this right:

Out the gate,the only album that ever came out the west,worthy of 5 mics (not a RErate or later on rating) is from A rapper that just left the biggest rap group of that moment,came to NY and got his album produced by the Bomb squad?
Looks bias to me.......

So you FF to 2002 and basically they start handing out 5 mic albums to the UP IN SMOKE TOUR posse ,the slain goat and the disabled
D.O.C. to save face

Meanwhile totally ignoring everyone else from the west.

Opinions are a never ending argument,that's why i dont like to point out how weak some of them NY albums are to me or how dope some of the west that was left off are to me. I rather point at the general public's reaction cause it's more FACTUALLY based.
And alot of them ny albums flopped yet get hoisted to the sky like they was really running shyt

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
nikkas love pretending. Naw i wouldnt want albums to get 5 mics just because. HOWEVER i see albums on their list that are from NY that arent great at all. Illmatic has mostly forgettable beats and the same goes for OB4CL.
One could argue,that's my opinion and claim i'm talking crazy. But according to RiAA people werent on neither one of these so called classics despite me regularly seeing videos for them on tv during their initial runs .
nikkas wanna act like every 5 mic ny album is as good as the other ones,lmao.

So let me get this right:

Out the gate,the only album that ever came out the west,worthy of 5 mics (not a RErate or later on rating) is from A rapper that just left the biggest rap group of that moment,came to NY and got his album produced by the Bomb squad?
Looks bias to me.......

So you FF to 2002 and basically they start handing out 5 mic albums to the UP IN SMOKE TOUR posse ,the slain goat and the disabled
D.O.C. to save face

Meanwhile totally ignoring everyone else from the west.

Opinions are a never ending argument,that's why i dont like to point out how weak some of them NY albums are to me or how dope some of the west that was left off are to me. I rather point at the general public's reaction cause it's more FACTUALLY based.
And alot of them ny albums flopped yet get hoisted to the sky like they was really running shyt

YOU can feel however you want about Illmatic or OB4CL, reaction to those albums are contrary to that. Maybe not on your block, but OB4CL had the whole rap game throwin' AKAs on their names and turning into Mafia crime families nshyt...

And so I ask you, who are these other artists from the West you think really really dropped albums on par with them NWA/Dre/Cube/Pac/Snoop/DOC albums? Mack 10 got a 5-mic album? Spice 1? South Central Cartel? E-40? Who?

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
YOU can feel however you want about Illmatic or OB4CL, reaction to those albums are contrary to that. Maybe not on your block, but OB4CL had the whole rap game throwin' AKAs on their names and turning into Mafia crime families nshyt...

And so I ask you, who are these other artists from the West you think really really dropped albums on par with them NWA/Dre/Cube/Pac/Snoop/DOC albums? Mack 10 got a 5-mic album? Spice 1? South Central Cartel? E-40? Who?
I could list a ton of albums i think should be added and some i think should be removed,you would object and we'd be right where we currently are.
You tell me i can "feel how i feel"
which is true and why i go directly to how the albums performed because that can;t be argued.
It's a fact that illmatic took 7 years to go plat according to riaa.
And it's a fact OB4CL has yet to do so according to Riaa.
So saying it was popping "just not on yo block" dont mean nothing to me.
Cause we're talking nation wide it wasnt a top album.
Other albums from 1994 were slaying it at retail
and alot of these albums were the debuts of those artists

1_big.png

COOLIO
Title: FANTASTIC VOYAGE
Certification Date: July 20, 1994
Label: TOMMY BOY
Format: SINGLE

3_big.png

WARREN G
Title: REGULATE ... G FUNK ERA
Certification Date: August 1, 1995
Label: VIOLATOR/RAL
Format: ALBUM

1_big.png

DA BRAT
Title: FUNKDAFIED
Certification Date: January 6, 1995
Label: COLUMBIA

1_big.png

OUTKAST
Title: SOUTHERNPLAYALISTICADILLACMUZIK
Certification Date: April 5, 1995
Label: LAFACE

4_big.png

BONE THUGS 'N HARMONY
Title: CREEPIN' ON AH COME UP
Certification Date: December 4, 1995
Label: RUTHLESS
Format: SHORTFORMALBUM

4_big.png

NOTORIOUS B.I.G.
Title: READY TO DIE
Certification Date: October 19, 1999
Label: BAD BOY/ARISTA

1_big.png

SCARFACE
Title: THE DIARY
Certification Date: December 5, 1994
Label: NOO TRYBE / VIRGIN

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
So after all this, this is what it comes down to...

We're talkin' about sales now. OK. :comeon:

Tell me this: when reviewing an album that has been delivered to you before its release date... do you know A) what it's gonna sell, B) how long it'll take, or C) whether you think it's good or not?

Only one answer for this, but go 'head and tell me what I'm saying makes no sense.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
So after all this, this is what it comes down to...

We're talkin' about sales now. OK. :comeon:

Tell me this: when reviewing an album that has been delivered to you before its release date... do you know A) what it's gonna sell, B) how long it'll take, or C) whether you think it's good or not?

Only one answer for this, but go 'head and tell me what I'm saying makes no sense.
D) where is it coming from
Which is why only Cube with Bomb Squad production got 5 mics prior to it's release.
All rerated westcoast 5 mic albums had to come from the ruthless or deathrow circles and have notable success to be included later

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
D) where is it coming from
Which is why only Cube with Bomb Squad production got 5 mics prior to it's release.
All rerated westcoast 5 mic albums had to come from the ruthless or deathrow circles and have notable success to be included later
You still have yet to list the names of west coast albums you feel shoulda got 5 mics. Keep :stylin:around the question.

Also you failed to acknowledge that Kast, Bun B, Scarface, and Kanye also got 5 mics the first time around

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You still have yet to list the names of west coast albums you feel shoulda got 5 mics. Keep :stylin:around the question.

Also you failed to acknowledge that Kast, Bun B, Scarface, and Kanye also got 5 mics the first time around
Aint no dancing,told you blatantly i wasnt answering. It's pointless