East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at the numbers I posted and the numbers you posted, then do some quick math and get back to me.

DMX- 5X Platinum = 5 million records shipped
DMX- 3X Platinum= 3 million records shipped
Redman- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
Method Man- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
Jay Z- 5X Platinum= 5 million records shipped
Rush Hour OST- Platinum= 1 million records shipped

Grand total= 12 million units based on just the 6 albums I listed.

vs.

Master P- 4X Platinum= 4 million records shipped
Snoop Dogg- 2X Platinum= 2 million records shipped
Silkk The Shocker- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
C- Murder- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
I Got The Hook Up OST- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
Mystikal- Platinum= 1 million records shipped
Kane & Abel- Gold= 500K shipped
Fiend- Gold= 500K shipped
Young Bleed- Gold= 500K Shipped
Mean Green- Gold= 500K Shipped

Grand total= 12 million units based on 10 albums

I didn't even count the Gold albums from Def Jam that year. Hardly equal.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Grand total= 12 million units based on just the 6 albums I listed.
vs.
Grand total= 12 million units based on 10 albums

I didn't even count the Gold albums from Def Jam that year. Hardly equal.

the no limit stats are more impressive.

youre comparing a conglomerate to an independent rap label.

the fact that you couldn't compare a similar east coast label to them - like say rocafella, says it all. you couldn't even go to bad boy. you had to go def jam.

:russ:

There's no we. You again, don't know what you're talking about because as always, your own biases blind you to FACTS.

The scene being relevant beforehand has nothing to do with my perspective. These were acts that were on a national level before No Limit jumped on a Southern bandwagon. This is a fact that has been reiterated by artists from Louisiana.

No Limit didn't give Suave House it's biggest hit. MJG's "That Girl" was easily bigger than any song they did with No Limit.

Breh, you can't speak on novelty acts being thrusted to the forefront and praise No Limit in the same breath. Most of that roster were novelty acts. Most only dropped one album and disappeared. Even the bigger artists on the label had a short shelf life. And this conspiracy theory you're using about dumbing down the culture is one that has been used against P as well.

The South and The East were not on equal footing by 1998. Nobody from The South was equivalent to a Jay or DMX.

Let the poster I quoted speak for himself. You're way out of your league speaking on music. He's referring to "Southern bounce". By your post, I know you don't know what that means. Southern bounce has tribal elements (i.e. what is heard in Busta's "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See"), the Southern marching band element, and even the triplet, double time beat, which paved the way for now (which can be heard in the Puff joint). That Puff joint isn't Midwestern at all aside from Twista being featured. Again, and I've posted this before Stevie J (who produced the Puff joint) talks about how he was influenced by Timbaland. Proves you don't know music. You referenced these songs by who made them and who was featured vs what they actually sound like.

After Timbaland blew up, producers were turning more so to keyboard driven production vs. the samplers and drum machines that were used before.

yes there is a WE, dumbass. you do realize that im not even the main one arguing with you, right? the fact that you cant even admit the obvious that's in everybody's face, says it all about you.

also, the fact that you think that 8ball & MJG were some national stars, tells me that im wasting my time dealing with you.
and lol @ "that girl". nobody knows that song bro.

lol @ no limit being novelty acts.

master p was the south's equivalent to jay & dmx.
and this is a stupid argument, seeing how youre claiming that the mid-00s is when the south popped off. they didn't have anybody near a 50 cent, jay-z, etc during that time period. not even remotely close.:laugh:
that's really the era where ATLANTA's rap scene broke thru, but in that other thread a couple weeks ago, you were trying to say that outkast blew atlanta up.
youre always all over the place, arguing just to argue. and you stay contradicting yourself because of it.

so because stevie j was influence by timbaland while doing a beat, it means that he was going for a southern sound? since when is timbaland a southern producer??
the rest of the stuff youre talking is jibber.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Pretty sure No Limit was hustling bar codes and getting fake plaques

and def jam was buying their own records and getting fake plaques.

its all part of the game. its only a problem when a black man check in.:mjpls:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
lol we all saw this shyt play out in real time. The south didnt take over to like 05
Southern ascension was palpable and it happened after the g-unit ,murda inc,Terror squad,jay z, nas,Dipset era. lol at 98

NO.
2005 is around the time THE MEDIA TOLD YOU that the south took over. and youre even late on that, cuz they started pushing that chit by the end of '03.

and im not saying that the south took over in '98.
im saying that's when they rose to prominence and took the west coast's spot.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
NO.
2005 is around the time THE MEDIA TOLD YOU that the south took over. and youre even late on that, cuz they started pushing that chit by the end of '03.

and im not saying that the south took over in '98.
im saying that's when they rose to prominence and took the west coast's spot.
breh i was even living down south attending an hbcu while it was happening. Lil jon was big in 03 but as far as TAKEOVER -Nah
when 50/gunit and dipset died down is when the south took over. They had a presence but not a takeover until than

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

the no limit stats are more impressive.

youre comparing a conglomerate to an independent rap label.

the fact that you couldn't compare a similar east coast label to them - like say rocafella, says it all. you couldn't even go to bad boy. you had to go def jam.

:russ:

yes there is a WE, dumbass. you do realize that im not even the main one arguing with you, right? the fact that you cant even admit the obvious that's in everybody's face, says it all about you.

also, the fact that you think that 8ball & MJG were some national stars, tells me that im wasting my time dealing with you.
and lol @ "that girl". nobody knows that song bro.

lol @ no limit being novelty acts.

master p was the south's equivalent to jay & dmx.
and this is a stupid argument, seeing how youre claiming that the mid-00s is when the south popped off. they didn't have anybody near a 50 cent, jay-z, etc during that time period. not even remotely close.:laugh:
that's really the era where ATLANTA's rap scene broke thru, but in that other thread a couple weeks ago, you were trying to say that outkast blew atlanta up.
youre always all over the place, arguing just to argue. and you stay contradicting yourself because of it.

so because stevie j was influence by timbaland while doing a beat, it means that he was going for a southern sound? since when is timbaland a southern producer??
the rest of the stuff youre talking is jibber.

No Limit's stats aren't more impressive. They dropped more albums. And No Limit wasn't just some dinky dink imprint distributed through Koch or some small time label. No Limit was distributed via Priority. What made No Limit independent is the 80/20 split.

It's not a "we". You inserted yourself into a discussion I was having with someone else.

Eightball & MJG were more so national stars than anyone on No Limit that wasn't P, Silkk, Snoop or Mystikal. Just say you don't know "That Girl". If you know the "Pure Uncut" record, there's no way you don't know that song considering it was much bigger.

And again you're confusing relevance with dominance.

If the mid '00's is when you're claiming ATL broke through, then there's no way you're claiming The South blew up in 1998 considering ATL becoming dominant in the mid 00's was the snowball effect of the entire South being dominant. In the mid '00's, Kast had an album that was certified 11X Platinum (11 million shipped and 5.5 million sold), Luda was 2X platinum, Lil Jon was 2X platinum, Trick Daddy was platinum, a host of Houston rappers went platinum. Three Six dropped their biggest album. Meanwhile, Jay and 50 were the last sales juggernauts on the East.

Out of ignorance and hate for Kast, you claimed they had nothing to do with the rise of Atlanta, which is a lie. Statements like that is why your Hip Hop pass stays in question as it is in this thread.

And yes, most of the artists on No Limit were novelty acts. They only had one album.

Timbaland's drum programming is Southern hence what Jay refers to as "the Bounce". Again, it is a style that a lot of East Coast artists gravitated to. And Stevie J being influenced by that is him being influenced by a Southern style of production.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
they don't get brownie points for that.

silk was scorching at the time.

they had no choice but to put him on the cover.

Nigro, there was a gang of choices... he just got chosen.

Next you gonna tell me Kurupt was a must too. In '98.

You got it bro.

:mjlit:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
All right

I'll do it

The reason southern rap blew up is not because Master P is better than GZA

Its because the south is home to the majority of

Black people

and they more easily identified with a lot of the mores and cultural elements of southern rap than they did "east coast"

once the convo of the south being intrinsically stupid and wack came around, the southern audience responded by holding their artists tighter.

I am still East Coast even though I grew up in the south. My style and the stuff I listen to is the same as in 95. Lots of BCC, WTC, 41st side type shyt

It boggles my mind when people play Project Pat for me like I missed out on something great. Its okay but I wanna hear Canibus break the time barrier with his bars, primarily.

I'd say it was a huge backlash to NYC's ego at the time moreso than anyone actually thinking Silkk the Shocker was dope...

Or maybe they did. Or maybe Canibus was not something they could decipher...

I don't think it was a quality issue

Silk made better music than Canibus is the answer to your question

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
breh i was even living down south attending an hbcu while it was happening. Lil jon was big in 03 but as far as TAKEOVER -Nah
when 50/gunit and dipset died down is when the south took over. They had a presence but not a takeover until than

re-read my post

im saying 2003 - late '03 to be exact, is when the MEDIA started pushing the south takeover.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Silk made better music than Canibus is the answer to your question

which Silkk song do you like better than

Second Round KO

100 Bars

Horsementality

Buckingham Palace

Which features did Silkk rip that made the Hip Hop world think a dragon was being unleashed upon it

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nigro, there was a gang of choices... he just got chosen.

Next you gonna tell me Kurupt was a must too. In '98.

You got it bro.

you act like the source did them a favor.

CI2DG was already out and silk was the hottest rapper featured on the cover when it initially dropped.

kurupt's last release at that point was dogg food, so of course he was gonna be on the cover.