EARLY BUZZ: 'Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes'..."BRILLIANT"..."MASTERPIECE"..."NEXT LEVEL"

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
this shyt was crazy! Koba was on his Bishop in Juice once he got the gun. Killed this nikka Ceasar hugged his son. "We gon get them nikkas that shot Raheem.":pachaha:, he even died like Bishop. I was trippin

tumblr_mxlg57YHg31rpncwuo1_500.gif

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@MartyMcFly where's your review breh?
jTM8ag64IK6xr.png

Was just about to post it breh.

I'm not going to talk about the way the film looks because that goes without saying. Not going to talk about the acting because that also goes without saying. But the story and direction is what needs to be talked about because for a film about apes it has a lot to say.

It speaks on war the nature of war the nature of man the evolution of a society and growing pains within those societies and it never sugarcoats one second of it. Every character or at least most of them are complex, nuanced, and all have their sides of the as to what they think is best for humans and best for apes. The movie never really tries to make any of this black and white but is more focused on complexities and that's always something I enjoy. The apes were more interesting to watch then the humans but even so the human stuff was on point also. Aside from the third act they never make it easy when it comes to picking a side but when you do have to pick its a logical place for the movie to go. There isn't an action or word wasted and the parallels between apes and humans were very well done. 10/10 easily. A movie that makes you think morally philosophically but also gets you viscerally involved. My fav flick of the summer and as of now my fav of the year

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The thing that elevated this film above even great blockbusters is that its possible to legitimately side with and be sympathetic towards the antagonist's plight. Even though Koba's actions may be viewed as problematic, his motivations are incredibly powerful. An argument could be made that his motivations are even stronger than Caesar's :whew:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I know this movie was amazing and it's still fresh in everyone's mind but try not to forget the greatness of that first movie.

The first movie to me has a slight edge over the sequel due to having better pacing. They are both classics no doubt though. I also agree that this new Apes franchise is definitely in league of it's own with filmmaking and so far being very consistent. Now with part 3 having the same director hopefully they will continue with that great consistency and not fall to the 3rd movie jinx.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing that elevated this film above even great blockbusters is that its possible to legitimately side with and be sympathetic towards the antagonist's plight. Even though Koba's actions may be viewed as problematic, his motivations are incredibly powerful. An argument could be made that his motivations are even stronger than Caesar's :whew:

Koba been tortured his entire life, but he uses his scars as a sign of pride, oddly enough. Remember at the very beginning after Blue Eyes got scratched up by that bear, Koba told him that having scars is a sign of strength. Dude was more complex than your typical villain. He just simply lost it the moment
Caesar beat the breaks off that ape the first time.

I DO ponder if him being injected by that PURE Simian Flu virus into his bloodstream, if that had a serious affect on his mental state as well. On another note, in spite of his SIGNIFICANTLY small role was in this movie, I loved the hidden and subtle character development that was done to Rocket. In "Rises", Rocket was the main bully that kept terrorizing Caesar until Caesar finally put a stop to that. Now, he and Maurice are Caesar's most LOYAL members of the clan. Even when his own son Ash got shot, Koba was trying to get Rocket hyped up over that and Rocket flatly stated he'll do whatever Caesar decides to do. He's down with Caesar no matter what.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The first movie to me has a slight edge over the sequel due to having better pacing. They are both classics no doubt though. I also agree that this new Apes franchise is definitely in league of it's own with filmmaking and so far being very consistent. Now with part 3 having the same director hopefully they will continue with that great consistency and not fall to the 3rd movie jinx.

It's tough to put Dawn in perspective cause we all JUST saw it whereas I'm sure in the last couple of years most of us have seen Rise at least a few times. We've had more time to absorb it.

When we were walkin out of Dawn my boy asked me if I thought it was better than the first one and in that moment I honestly did not know. I thought it was an amazing movie and I really enjoyed it (favorite movie of the summer of the so far) but I'm not sure if I liked it any better or worse then Rise yet. Don't see the point in doing so either. It was a great movie and it lived up to the standard set by the original. Saying it's AS GOOD is about as high a compliment as you could give it.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Koba been tortured his entire life, but he uses his scars as a sign of pride, oddly enough. Remember at the very beginning after Blue Eyes got scratched up by that bear, Koba told him that having scars is a sign of strength. Dude was more complex than your typical villain. He just simply lost it the moment
Caesar beat the breaks off that ape the first time.

I think my favorite emotional scene in the film was the "HUMAN...WORK" scene :wow:

Sidenote: The camerawork when the apes first attacked the human compound was fukking AWESOME. When Reeves locked the camera to the tank and got that near 360-shot :whew:

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Great movie and I loved it just as much as Rise. I know people were speculating that the next movie will take place in the distant future, possibly without Caesar, but I can't see that happening. Caesar is the backbone of this reboot, and I'm sure others feel the same. I wonder if the next one will pick up where Dawn left off.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw this earlier. Fell asleep off & on for about 20 mins....but woke up right when Koba/Caesar beef got serious.

Good movie overall.

I felt the acting by the humans was cheesy and subpar in spots, but whatever. And I felt the message of "humans are bad" was too overt thruout the film.

Was glad to see Keri Russell in something tho :manny:

you must've been sleeping throughout the whole movie because that definitely WASN'T the message

there really weren't any good guys or bad guys in this movie, just humans and apes who were either too trusting or not trusting enough. you could understand Gary Oldman's point of view and you could understand Koba's point of view. the only point blank a$$hole in the movie was the dude who shot Ash at the beginning and blamed the virus on the apes. they could've easily taken the easy way out and made the apes completely justified in their attack, but the fact that it was trickery and manipulation that sparked the attack added a layer of complexity that elevated the flick from a good movie to a great one