Dwyane Wade's former son Zion is now his transgender daughter Zaya

Raquinotj

#NBATwitter #NBAReddit #6ixRings #PatsNation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of champions BAWSTON
NY Daily News - We are currently unavailable in your region

Dwyane Wade has graduated from NBA superstar to all-star dad.

Wade, who played for the Miami Heat during most of his career, opened up on an episode of “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” airing Tuesday about the moment his transgender daughter told him and his wife Gabrielle Union that she wanted to start living as her true self.

"We are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ+ community and we’re proud allies as well,” the former pro basketball player told DeGeneres. “We take our roles and responsibilities as parents very seriously.”

“So when our child comes home with a question, when our child comes home with an issue, when our child comes home with anything, it’s our job as parents to listen to that to give them the best information that we can, the best feedback that we can, and that doesn’t change now.”

Wade, 38, added that when his child, who’s now 12 and goes by Zaya, told the family she was transgender, he and Union knew it was time from them to start educating themselves.

[More Snyde] Fran Drescher reveals how she helped police identify her rapist in 1985 »
“[She said] ‘Hey, so I want to talk to you guys. I think going forward I am ready to live my truth. I want to be referenced as ‘she’ and ‘her.' I would love for you guys to call me Zaya,' ” Wade told DeGeneres.

“Now it’s our job to, one, go out and get information, to reach out to every relationship that we have,” he continued. “My wife reached out to everybody on the cast of ‘Pose’ [the FX show with a large transgender cast]. We’re just trying to figure out as much information as we can to make sure that we give our child the best opportunity to be her best self.”

The father of three other children — Zaire, 18, Xavier, 6, and 15-month-old Kaavia — was proud and impressed at Zaya’s bravery. “I looked at her and said, ‘You are a leader. It’s our opportunity to allow you to be a voice,' " he recalled. "Right now, it’s through us because she’s 12 years old, but eventually it will be through her.”

DeGeneres applauded his parenting skills, saying that his approach to having a transgender child is “what every parent should be, what you are being right now, which is unconditionally loving your child and supporting your child in whomever they are. There are so many parents that are just, 'Oh, you are not going the way I’d imagined or wanted you to be and freak out. And you are so loving and supportive of Zaya."

Wade is currently promoting his upcoming ESPN documentary about his life and career, “D Wade: Life Unexpected," premiering on ESPN Feb. 23.

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
This some Mr Sinister type steez on ole boy:wow:..she effectively got his bloodline thee fukk outta here,on some John Connor shyt..Gabby ain't having that,nah lil nikka you gay, go tell your dad:jawalrus:

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
the kid was considered gay for the past few years.. and is now wanting to be a girl.. its obvious the kid and the parents dont know what they kid really wants to be thats why making life time decisions now are stupid..

are you trolling or just acting stupid to argue for the sake of arguing at this point ?
What life time decision did they make?

EndGame

Superstar
Daps
In theory sure.

But there are some documentaries and youtube channels out there that feature people who were in Zions position and they talk about how they regret that their parents did not do anything. They also talk about how much they regret it.

There's even reddit threads on this.

Living part of your life as the opposite gender in your formative years will impact you. 100%

That reddit thread is full of post-op trannies. After the surgery and they have mutilated their organs that the regret really kicks in. I just hope this lil nikka not taking male hormones suppressing medications.:sadcam:

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
Is there a major athlete doing this right now? A Soccer player in Europe? You can't sit here and convince me environment is not playing a role. Its not my kid, and he can be supportive all he wants. But the odds this kid is going to be happy with himself by the time he's 30?

What happen to "love yourself for who you are" :snoop:

Its changed to if you hate it, cut it off? That's what we're going with now.

Spade281

Pro
Daps
Gabrielle Union’s career has been on life support and “WaWayne” Wade offered up his own child to save it. :francis:

Here come the books, speaking tours, TV appearances and inevitable talk show.
And at the exact same time DWade has begun his broadcast career where he will probably start preaching to this basketball audience on how to accept, etc. :stopitslime:

These weird entertainment elites schedule shyt out like this all the time.