Dune 2 - (March 1, 2024)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That said though, he IS the savior of the Fremen....they went from living in the shadows to running the planet...he is their savior, and did so with his special magical powers of being an outsider but 'special' because he was white essentially. That is the white savior element. Even if he used them for bad things...for these brown people who live off the land and and end up worshiping for what he did...he is their white savior

But the story is a critique of that - it's saying that you SHOULDN'T trust such "saviors". And in the book there was zero racial element, that was introduced into the movie cause they didn't want an all-white cast, but there isn't anywhere where race is meaningful to the movie's storyline.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
But the story is a critique of that - it's saying that you SHOULDN'T trust such "saviors". And in the book there was zero racial element, that was introduced into the movie cause they didn't want an all-white cast, but there isn't anywhere where race is meaningful to the movie's storyline.
i don't care about the book for this conversation.

Paul is the savior of the fremen. He brought them from hiding to running the planet, thru his special training and magic powers. They worship him for saving them...i mean...it can't be more clear of that. Even if he does that as a heel or it is a critique...he is unquestionably the white savior of them...

shonuff

All Star
Daps
i don't care about the book for this conversation.

Paul is the savior of the fremen. He brought them from hiding to running the planet, thru his special training and magic powers. They worship him for saving them...i mean...it can't be more clear of that. Even if he does that as a heel or it is a critique...he is unquestionably the white savior of them...
even if youre only going by the movies - paul is a dude that is just stepping into a role of a "savior" . One of the main point was that the Freemen religion stated that their leader would come from another place. Yet one of the main beefs between Freemen is that those that were even religious felt it would be a person who was born among the Freemen....

and the Freemen arent hiding at all - theyve been on DUNE for thousands of years -as long as spice has been used to explore the galaxy for over 10000 years ....the movie tells you that - The Freemen dont care to contact or deal with anyone OTHER than those on DUNE

that ONE tribe of Freemen - Seitch Tabor - has been kicking ass of anyone that came to THAT ONE PLACE on the planet that they harvest spice ( Spice is ALL OVER the planet not just Arrakeen )

again pointing out the arrogance of everyone - The Empire, The Spacing Guild , Benegesserit , and the Noble houses...no one saught to do anything beyond that one patch of land on that planet for 1000s of years which again illustrates the ultimate theme which is about power and myopia ....even AMONGST the Freemen.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
even if youre only going by the movies - paul is a dude that is just stepping into a role of a "savior" . One of the main point was that the Freemen religion stated that their leader would come from another place. Yet one of the main beefs between Freemen is that those that were even religious felt it would be a person who was born among the Freemen....

and the Freemen arent hiding at all - theyve been on DUNE for thousands of years -as long as spice has been used to explore the galaxy for over 10000 years ....the movie tells you that - The Freemen dont care to contact or deal with anyone OTHER than those on DUNE

that ONE tribe of Freemen - Seitch Tabor - has been kicking ass of anyone that came to THAT ONE PLACE on the planet that they harvest spice ( Spice is ALL OVER the planet not just Arrakeen )

again pointing out the arrogance of everyone - The Empire, The Spacing Guild , Benegesserit , and the Noble houses...no one saught to do anything beyond that one patch of land on that planet for 1000s of years which again illustrates the ultimate theme which is about power and myopia ....even AMONGST the Freemen.
and yet when Paul showed up, he fulfilled their prophecy of being 'taken to paradise'...and now they control the entire planet.

The Before and After of the Freemen is DRASTIC.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
People say the same about Nolan. It's the film version of all the NBA goats going bald

:troll:
Feels like deja-vu. “Detached.”, “No emotion.”, “Ehh, the relatability just isn’t there for me. I need to FEEL for these characters.” (this one always gets me
23-a78fcfe8cc13.jpg
).

Oscar sweep confirmed for Denis. :wow:

You got some folks frontin’ as if that aspect is both of the directors’ kryptonite, but when you bring titles like ‘Interstellar’ and ‘Arrival’ up, two films that are practically driven by emotion…

It’s crickets. Either it’s crickets or someone’s about to put out their worst Juelz remix yet, which I’m fully expecting in response to this post.

Last edited:

shonuff

All Star
Daps
and yet when Paul showed up, he fulfilled their prophecy of being 'taken to paradise'...and now they control the entire planet.

The Before and After of the Freemen is DRASTIC.
they ALWAYS controlled the planet the ONLY people that were in conflict were the Seitch Tabor Freemen - and the prohecy was crafted by the BG 1000s of years ago - it was never something that arose from the Freemen.

the Freemen get used by him to accomplish his - aims- thats not a savior .

the Freemen arent getting saved, they arent being brought some enlightenment that they are incapable of themselves, they arent being redeemed at all .. hell he turns them into something they never wanted to be which is crusaders ....

again that isnt a savior.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
they ALWAYS controlled the planet the ONLY people that were in conflict were the Seitch Tabor Freemen - and the prohecy was crafted by the BG 1000s of years ago - it was never something that arose from the Freemen.

the Freemen get used by him to accomplish his - aims- thats not a savior .
but they beleived it. Christianity wasn't created by Americans but if Jesus shows up a lot of people in Texas will be bending their knees.

We'll have to disagree...because it is clear that the fremen did not have nearly a fraction of the power they have now...because of Paul Atredes...and he is viewed as the savior of the Fremen who will take them to Paradise...by the Fremen.

shonuff

All Star
Daps
but they beleived it. Christianity wasn't created by Americans but if Jesus shows up a lot of people in Texas will be bending their knees.

We'll have to disagree...because it is clear that the fremen did not have nearly a fraction of the power they have now...because of Paul Atredes...and he is viewed as the savior of the Fremen who will take them to Paradise...by the Fremen.
this is untrue
what power are you talking about ?

the Freemen have ALWAYS had the military power - they number in the MILLIONS - and they outfight the best soldiers in the Empire.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
And yet they control none of the spice mining that the emperor yields to the great houses....
They didn’t want to mine spice, they live in harmony with the environment, they harvest spice in a manner that doesn’t destroy their planet, the various houses of the imperium don’t care. The fremen do not want power. They just don’t want their planet ravaged and destroyed by outsiders. Paul is viewed as their messiah because the bene gesserit spread propaganda for millennia before Paul was ever born. Nothing you said equates to Paul saving them, he actually destroyed and changed their culture irrevocably.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
It’s crickets. Either it’s crickets or someone’s about to put out their worst Juelz remix yet, which I’m fully expecting in response to this post.

not everyone is going to understand what OP meant.

if everyone had the same level of insight poker would only be a game of chance :hubie:

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
Zendaya going out sad to the white man in every film :dead:

Freemen getting cumstered and dumpstered as well trusting some cac

I found the pacing a bit weird but enjoyed it overall.

shyt made me feel uneasy at parts which I didn't expect