Dune 2 - (March 1, 2024)

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I don't mean literally in the shadows. The fremen were under the thumb of whomever mined slice for ages and Paul saved them from that fate.

THEY WERE GONNA BE UNDER PAULS THUMB TOO
WHEN HE INHERITED THE PLACE
FROM HIS POPS....

WILL THERE BE NO MORE
SPICE MINING ON THE PLANET GOING FORWARD?

:devil:
:evil:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
the pacing was my issue as well, it also makes the payoffs cheaper in the end as well

I think this book should have been a trilogy - Denis had to pack way too much into Part 2. They fast forwarded Pauls growth as a Fremen and learning the ways of the desert. The reveal of his mother being the Barons daughter was just thrown in there - felt like it should have been more impactful?
That moment should've been this movies version of "No. I am your father"

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That moment should've been this movies version of "No. I am your father"
I finished reading the book the other day and I was surprised that it was mentioned way earlier in the story (before Jessica and Paul meet the Fremen, iirc)

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the pacing was my issue as well, it also makes the payoffs cheaper in the end as well

I think this book should have been a trilogy - Denis had to pack way too much into Part 2. They fast forwarded Pauls growth as a Fremen and learning the ways of the desert. The reveal of his mother being the Barons daughter was just thrown in there - felt like it should have been more impactful?

I loved the movie, but I need to go back and watch again. It was damn near overwhelming with everything that happened. I never really bought fully into the love story between Paul & Chani, so the ending didnt feel as impactful as it could have. They could have fleshed out that relationship more, but they had to move quick to pack everything in. Paul went from a desert beginner to orchestrating attacks on harvesters to riding sandworms scene after scene. I get why they had to do it that way, but shyt, him learning the ways of the Freman could have been a whole damn movie. I think in the books it covers the course of 2 years? It would have allowed the love story flesh out more too

Another thing - I LOVED the Baron as the imposing villan in Part 1 - hes used sparingly but his impact is HEAVY. He felt cheapened in Part 2 and not as imposing (I realize hes injured and not at the same speed but still) - I know they wanted to show that the emperor had his balls, but I thought Part 2 lacked what the Baron brought in Part 1. Feyd was well done, but he doesnt carry the gravitas of a final boss type villan to me

I really could have done with a different casting than Christopher Walken for emperor - I feel like someone else coudl have killed that role and added more gravity to it. Walken just doesnt do it for me. Could be a perosonal thing.

Overall, I really enjoyed it - want to go back and see it again this week. I thought Tim did a good job, so did Rebecca, she had a good arc in this. Feyd and the Giedi Prime scenes were dope. The desert scenes were great, would have loved to see them add more space to grow those scenes out more. And get more into the lore of spice and what it means to the Freman vs what it means to the "empire" - there is a lot more they could have dove into there. Denis needed 3 movies for just this specific story and I really think this could have been the GOAT trilogy. It felt limited to just two movies.
Denis Villeneuve has a lot of cut footage from the first movie and you can tell some scenes were cut in Part 2, but Denis is one of those directors that don't believe in extended cuts :francis:
Maybe WB will force it like with what happened to the Lord of the Rings movies.

I highly recommend reading the book or listening to the audiobook. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is ultimately just a puppet like the movie but you get more him

shonuff

All Star
Daps
That said though, he IS the savior of the Fremen....they went from living in the shadows to running the planet...he is their savior, and did so with his special magical powers of being an outsider but 'special' because he was white essentially. That is the white savior element. Even if he used them for bad things...for these brown people who live off the land and and end up worshiping for what he did...he is their white savior
Ok but AGAIN - he is a white savior becuase why? the director put brown people as the inhabitants of Dune you wouldn't be declaring the story is one of a white savior if the inhabitants of the planet were played by white people ...

You are projecting what you want the movie to say based on your own prejudices of what you think you know about this story - which is the WHOLE point of why Dune was written . Peopke only going by what they think they know rather than what really is there.

EVEN when you are told what the story is actually about even when the story itself has the character saying to the other people " im not what you think i am " you are doing JUST LIKE stillgar or the Baron or the Benegesserit you and they still insist on ignoring the obvious truth for the truth you want to believe ...

Hence why this film is so good - because it poi ts out the human capacity to insist of basing "knowledge" on belief ...not facts

Dudes holding onto and declaring that Paul is nothing but a white savior are just like the Trump people that believe Liberals eat babies or that vaccines cause disease - the same people that insist Trump is going to save them when dude has shown how he is only about himself ....Biden ruined the economy even tho the economy is doing better than under Trump. Bro you just admitted in the same post that all the things that point out how the story isn't a white savior story are true and then you close with .."but its a white savior story " - the cognitive dissonance should be slapping you in the face like a pimp

Its fukking literally being put up on the screen and being shown and told to you but you'd rather believe what you want to believe and ignore facts that contradict that belief ....thats crazy...

This is why the story of Dune was written - to illustrate peoples insistence that they know a thing and how they can still cling to what they erroneously conclude despite acknowledging facts otherwise.

shonuff

All Star
Daps

THEY WERE GONNA BE UNDER PAULS THUMB TOO
WHEN HE INHERITED THE PLACE
FROM HIS POPS....

WILL THERE BE NO MORE
SPICE MINING ON THE PLANET GOING FORWARD?

But he Freeman aren't under the Harkonnens thumb ? There's MILLIONS of Freeman how are you thinking they are under the Harkonnens ( or even Paul's thumb ) when all they have dealt with is a few thousand of them

Again the movie TELLS you everyone the empire the harkonnens even the benegesserit are unaware of how many Freemen are on the planet

How can they have enslaved conquered an entire planet if they only have encountered not even a 100th or 10000th of a percent of the people there???? They don't even look elsewhere on the planet becuase they THINK noone can live anywhere but where they are at

Let's put it this way - white people long ago got to the coast of Africa and beat one village and declared they have conquered all of Africa..was that really true? So if thats true how can you ten project or claim in a story that tells you otherwise that the Freemen are enslaved or have been beaten by the Harkonnens? Or the Empire ??

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
But he Freeman aren't under the Harkonnens thumb ? There's MILLIONS of Freeman how are you thinking they are under the Harkonnens ( or even Paul's thumb ) when all they have dealt with is a few thousand of them

Again the movie TELLS you everyone the empire the harkonnens even the benegesserit are unaware of how many Freemen are on the planet

How can they have enslaved conquered an entire planet if they only have encountered not even a 100th or 10000th of a percent of the people there???? They don't even look elsewhere on the planet becuase they THINK noone can live anywhere but where they are at

Let's put it this way - white people long ago got to the coast of Africa and beat one village and declared they have conquered all of Africa..was that really true? So if thats true how can you ten project or claim in a story that tells you otherwise that the Freemen are enslaved or have been beaten by the Harkonnens? Or the Empire ??

:what:WHY ARE YOU DIRECTING THIS TOWARDS ME?

I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS ENSLAVED.

I SAID HES NOT A SAVIOR.

YOU TOOK UNDER THUMB TOO LITERALLY.

THE POINT WAS OUTSIDERS
INCLUDING PAUL WERE GONNA CONTINUE
TO OCCUPY THE PLANET
AND MINE SPICE.

shonuff

All Star
Daps

:what:WHY ARE YOU DIRECTING THIS TOWARDS ME?

I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS ENSLAVED.

I SAID HES NOT A SAVIOR.

YOU TOOK UNDER THUMB TOO LITERALLY.

THE POINT WAS OUTSIDERS
INCLUDING PAUL WERE GONNA CONTINUE
TO OCCUPY THE PLANET
AND MINE SPICE.

Just trying to correct you and others that keep saying that the harkonnens or the atraides controlled the planet ....they didn't they weren't enslaving the freemen and they weren't taking over anything or trying to convert the freemen

The only thing they wanted was the spice and they were in a small area of the planet - they couldn't do what they wanted to do since the freemen have been in their ass for over 80 years

They have been mining spice for thousands of years

None if that is controlling or a take over

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Just trying to correct you and others that keep saying that the harkonnens or the atraides controlled the planet ....they didn't they weren't enslaving the freemen and they weren't taking over anything or trying to convert the freemen

The only thing they wanted was the spice and they were in a small area of the planet - they couldn't do what they wanted to do since the freemen have been in their ass for over 80 years

They have been mining spice for thousands of years

None if that is controlling or a take over

:what:ARE YOU SLOW?

I NEVER SAID THEY ENSLAVED
NOR TRIED TO CONVERT ANYTHING.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn this movie was dope. Chalamet delivered a strong performance, especially in the second half and Denis continues to put together one of the best runs a director has ever been in imo.

Butler was great as well. Loved his reactions to Paul bossing up at the end lol. Everyone brought their A game.

Enemy was the only Villeneuve movie that I was not really into, but its been a long time since I've watched it.

Gyllenhaal killed it imo and both chicks were fine as hell.