Draymond: "Shaq I could've guarded you in the post in your prime", Shaq: "Wake up, you're dreaming"

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The NBA isn't necessarily a 1-on-1 league.

Draymond wouldn't have to be on an island with Shaq. You guys have to stop thinking of NBA defense like your local 3-on-3 half court at the YMCA.
That said, Draymond has proven to be a solid all around defender for a decade.

I don't think it's crazy to think that he could give Shaq fits. Does that mean holding him to 5 points? No. There are ways to defend and contain a star player to the point it caps his overall impact. Look at Lebron's 1st Finals vs the Warriors in 2014/2015.

Shaq won his MVP in the 1999-2000 NBA season and had games where he wasn't rolling over everyone.
There were playoff games vs the Kings where Vlade Divac held Shaq to under 50% shooting. Or maybe it's more fair to say Shaq just had off nights. Whatever.

I'm just saying let's not get all hyperbolic here.

A lot of people like to think MJ or Shaq or some superstar from a past era would dominate today and average XYZ points now.
Maybe they would. Maybe they wouldn't. But it doesn't mean they'd win. Draymond wouldn't have to keep Shaq to 10 pts to be an effective defender.
These types of posts are why other posters sometimes have trouble taking your opinion seriously.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
“Can’t guard” what does that even mean.

The way Shaq talks is as if had Chamberlain numbers, and the way Dray talks is like he shut down great players from scoring against gsw.

If the refs weren’t so trash and eager to get a new Bulls dynasty, schools would be recruiting o-liners to their teams to play like shaq

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Dray said they had schemes to slow him down and he’d get targeted on the other end.

Shaq acting like Bogut and Dray aren’t better defensively than most frontcourts he faced.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Dray said they had schemes to slow him down and he’d get targeted on the other end.

Shaq acting like Bogut and Dray aren’t better defensively than most frontcourts he faced.
When Draymond says they would have contained Shaq, not that I agree with them fully, but this is what I believe he meant.