Draymond: "Shaq I could've guarded you in the post in your prime", Shaq: "Wake up, you're dreaming"

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
10cae695a2520101ebbd1aed8335babb.jpg

59vP7D3.jpeg

Daps
I mean anyone can guard Prime Shaq.

The question is whether you could actually STOP him.

Dray would give up 50/20/5 to Shaquille Rashaun O'Neal at his peak. Orlando Shaq would just out-athlete him while LA Shaq had more tools in the bag and was much bigger.

Plus....Shaq could rest on defense. If Dray wanted to take mid-range jumpers, you let him. Shaq wouldn't have to work hard so all his energy would go towards offense.

People struggle to stop Jokic today. Shaq was way more athletic, 2 inches taller and 50 to 70 lbs heavier at his LA peak. Giannis, Joker, Embiid, AD etc., wouldn't stop him either let alone Draymond.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The NBA isn't necessarily a 1-on-1 league.

Draymond wouldn't have to be on an island with Shaq. You guys have to stop thinking of NBA defense like your local 3-on-3 half court at the YMCA.
That said, Draymond has proven to be a solid all around defender for a decade.

I don't think it's crazy to think that he could give Shaq fits. Does that mean holding him to 5 points? No. There are ways to defend and contain a star player to the point it caps his overall impact. Look at Lebron's 1st Finals vs the Warriors in 2014/2015.

Shaq won his MVP in the 1999-2000 NBA season and had games where he wasn't rolling over everyone.
There were playoff games vs the Kings where Vlade Divac held Shaq to under 50% shooting. Or maybe it's more fair to say Shaq just had off nights. Whatever.

I'm just saying let's not get all hyperbolic here.

A lot of people like to think MJ or Shaq or some superstar from a past era would dominate today and average XYZ points now.
Maybe they would. Maybe they wouldn't. But it doesn't mean they'd win. Draymond wouldn't have to keep Shaq to 10 pts to be an effective defender.