Drake - For All The Dogs (Discussion Thread)

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let it sink in for a few days....FIRE FIRE FIRE

Best Drake album bar none. This Drake nikka walked all these beats with ease

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What hurts the album beyond the content/maturity aspect is the sequencing and the length. A tighter edit, like 10 tracks, would have had a leaner and more impactful album, that wouldn't re invent anything but would feel like a nice fall project, something of a return to form. This feels cynical in it's length, dated in a something for everybody approach. Esp. since he repeated himself on multiple songs.

Other thought, is it too much to see some calculation in some of Drake's themes of resentment, as a marketing technique, for a fan base of men who are pretty statistically and vocally disillusioned about women?

After listening to this album for a few days, and being very familiar in my own way, with the transactional relationships of club/strip club women, I hang with strippers, I've gone out with them, been hit up for Goyard bags, take me to Miami---- I really don't mind any of it, not mad at any women, not mad at my "ex" but after hearing the album over and over, it starts to play with your mind, like fukk that bytch, but I truly don't feel like that--- and so for people who are angrier or bitter, it's powerful.
I agree. I think the music on this album sounds immature to people because they aren’t being honest with themselves and where we are. What people I think are failing to realize is that there has been a proliferation of that immaturity. Drake has been tapping into that with Her loss and this album. The content he speaks of sounds like what the blogs and Twitter talk about obsessively. Men and women. Social media has proven that people aren’t as mature as they pretend to be. The data shows it, the comments show it, and the trends show it. Look at the main discussions in podcasts or what’s constantly discussed in TLR.

So if Drake’s content has “regressed”, it’s because we as a society have regressed. Or we’ve just been exposed as not being sophisticated and adult as we’ve been pretending all along. We are seeing people’s real thoughts and gripes in real time. So what they asking Drake to be mature for?

So it becomes a question, should Drake change his material for a growing audience that doesn’t stream as much or cater to the younger crowd that does. People ask for mature music but don’t even stream or listen to half of what’s out there unless they are told. Should he limit how far he can goes as a rapper to cater to an older growing fanbase that doesn’t even realize he was doing the same thing through out his entire run on some fake hip hop purity? Idk. I know his peers don’t get this much flack. I know a lot of the young rappers today for damn sure don’t because they still get bigged up on this very forum while making noticeably worse stuff.

I think what’s happening requires a lot of digestion and insight about where we are in 2023. The lack of hooks on this project might be due to how tik tok operates and how it’s changed consumers listening habits. They don’t even listen to whole songs anymore. Just hooks.

I think it’s too soon to judge what we are looking at in terms of Drake (remaining on top) and this album and how the media and social media is disingenuously shaping the narrative about this album. How an album drop at 6 am and by 8 am, the majority of the comments all over the internet is the album is bad. Something is off. I hate having to defend Drake because he’s been off since Views but this hate train is not organic.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I agree. I think the music on this album sounds immature to people because they aren’t being honest with themselves and where we are. What people I think are failing to realize is that there has been a proliferation of that immaturity. Drake has been tapping into that with Her loss and this album. The content he speaks of sounds like what the blogs and Twitter talk about obsessively. Men and women. Social media has proven that people aren’t as mature as they pretend to be. The data shows it, the comments show it, and the trends show it. Look at the main discussions in podcasts or what’s constantly discussed in TLR.

So if Drake’s content has “regressed”, it’s because we as a society have regressed. Or we’ve just been exposed as not being sophisticated and adult as we’ve been pretending all along. We are seeing people’s real thoughts and gripes in real time. So what they asking Drake to be mature for?

So it becomes a question, should Drake change his material for a growing audience that doesn’t stream as much or cater to the younger crowd that does. People ask for mature music but don’t even stream or listen to half of what’s out there unless they are told. Should he limit how far he can goes as a rapper to cater to an older growing fanbase that doesn’t even realize he was doing the same thing through out his entire run on some fake hip hop purity? Idk. I know his peers don’t get this much flack. I know a lot of the young rappers today for damn sure don’t because they still get bigged up on this very forum while making noticeably worse stuff.

I think what’s happening requires a lot of digestion and insight about where we are in 2023. The lack of hooks on this project might be due to how tik tok operates and how it’s changed consumers listening habits. They don’t even listen to whole songs anymore. Just hooks.

I think it’s too soon to judge what we are looking at in terms of Drake (remaining on top) and this album and how the media and social media is disingenuously shaping the narrative about this album. How an album drop at 6 am and by 8 am, the majority of the comments all over the internet is the album is bad. Something is off. I hate having to defend Drake because he’s been off since Views but this hate train is not organic.
drake is talking about real shyt on here but... I think people are going regret these takes in about 6 months...damn near everyone is spinning back and realizing that its not THAT bad

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

Excellent points. One of my homies, he's not THAT much younger, maybe like 7 year, he's 30, is not dumb by any means, a serious rap fan, we were taling about the Drake album and I showed him the that last verse on First Person Shooter, and he hadn't heard it. Because he didn't listen to the whole song. Then he said, he hadn't listened to almost ANY of the songs fully.

Social media/algorthrims have rewired people's brains. They don't even have the attention span for a 3:30 second track anymore. So, cynically, labels load up on the songs, throw a lot at people, and calculate that at least some will end up viral.

I even think social media, after reading The Chaos Machine, has rewired people to how they even process something like a Drake album. Lots of knee jerk in both directions, without much foundation, just kind of a binary position, like Drake fan vs not Drake fan. Kind of like bitter man vs. bitter woman

whose side are you on? pick a side. Another just slightly younger homie but a social media kid, hit me up to talk about the album, and he goes you sound like a hater! But, I have probably ran it back more times than him, and thought about it many more times. He goes well it's better than Joe Budden's albums! This is a grown man. It's made everyone less mature and reflective, because social media doesn't really value those things, it's to drive engagement/conflict/outrage.

Since Friday, it's been a lot of fun, to listen, to reflect, to post and talk about the album, that's that hip hop/rap shyt to me.

Last edited:

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i aint gon front, on 1st listen i wasnt too impressed outside of a few songs (esp for drake standards), and was completely feelin' a lot of the critiques of the music

but after a few spins, some of the joints really sneak up on you ... :dame: r&b ones like tried our best and polar opposites
This happens every single time Drake has dropped since Views

Dudes lose their minds expecting something else (this time was fair because of the build up and roll out)

A few weeks past. The people that don’t have an agenda give it a few listens, and the best of the project always rises.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Excellent points. One of my homies, he's not THAT much younger, maybe like 7 year, he's 30, is not dumb by any means, a serious rap fan, we were taling about the Drake album and I showed him the that last verse on First Person Shooter, and he hadn't heard it. Because he didn't listen to the whole song. Then he said, he hadn't listened to almost ANY of the songs fully.

Social media/algorthrims have rewired people's brains. They don't even have the attention span for a 3:30 second track anymore. So, cynically, labels load up on the songs, throw a lot at people, and calculate that at least some will end up viral.

I even think social media, after reading The Chaos Machine, has rewired people to how they even process something like a Drake album. Lots of knee jerk in both directions, without much foundation, just kind of a binary position, like Drake fan vs not Drake fan. Kind of like bitter man vs. bitter woman

whose side are you on? pick a side. Another just slightly younger homie but a social media kid, hit me up to talk about the album, and he goes you sound like a hater! But, I have probably ran it back more times than him, and thought about it many more times. He goes well it's better than Joe Budden's albums! This is a grown man. It's made everyone less mature and reflective, because social media doesn't really value those things, it's to drive engagement/conflict/outrage.

Since Friday, it's been a lot of fun, to listen, to reflect, to post and talk about the album, that's that hip hop/rap shyt to me.
Bruh all that sounds like cope

If you seriously LOVE an album you'll play that shyt back to back

That was me with SOS by SZA

I do agree with @dangerranger that Drake makes music for his times, but that just means music is objectively more trash and has less depth

In Drakes defense tho, I think if people communicated as much as they do know Wayne would have and a lot of other artists would be getting a lot of heat too

But Drake has also outlasted those other artists despite it, so I don't feel bad for him

I think Drake > Wayne tho

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
This happens every single time Drake has dropped since Views

Dudes lose their minds expecting something else (this time was fair because of the build up and roll out)

A few weeks past. The people that don’t have an agenda give it a few listens, and the best of the project always rises.
I've never been that person. If I listen to some shyt and it's wack on the first spin, it will be wack on the second or third spin. :yeshrug:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I've never been that person. If I listen to some shyt and it's wack on the first spin, it will be wack on the second or third spin. :yeshrug:
Big Stepper and Mr. Morales imo
I can't tell if it's wack or if it just wasn't for me

I didn't like TPAB either tho, but I saw the vision of where he was going with it

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Big Stepper and Mr. Morales imo
I can't tell if it's wack or if it just wasn't for me

I didn't like TPAB either tho, but I saw the vision of where he was going with it

Kendrick is my guy of the Big Three and Big Stepper and a few moments but not enough for me to go back and put it on repeat.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Bruh all that sounds like cope

If you seriously LOVE an album you'll play that shyt back to back

That was me with SOS by SZA

I do agree with @dangerranger that Drake makes music for his times, but that just means music is objectively more trash and has less depth

In Drakes defense tho, I think if people communicated as much as they do know Wayne would have and a lot of other artists would be getting a lot of heat too

But Drake has also outlasted those other artists despite it, so I don't feel bad for him

I think Drake > Wayne tho

how old are you? The way a lot of people interact with music is way different, I think. It's more about a mood or vibe, or viral video, than an in depth approach to a whole album. Both of my friends had opposite reaction, but I don't think either played it very much. That's what I was getting at.