Essential Dragonball Super? New series set after Majin Buu saga

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The thing with Dragon ball was Toriyama never even really wanted to make it in the first place. He worked himself damn near to death doing Dr. Slump to the point where he was getting 2 TOTAL hours of sleep a week. When he decided to end it, he wanted to be done with manga altogether but his editor would only let him end the series on the condition that he'd start up a new series in 6 months.

So he came up with Dragon Ball, but decided to do it on his terms and not give a fukk. He would literally goof off for 5 days of the week and not even start working on the chapters until a day and a half before the deadline! He said he'd wake up at midnight, do the storyboard for 6 hours straight and then fax it to Toei animation so they can use it for the anime. And the storyboard would double as his rough draft too since he only had 2 days to work with:lolbron:. Then he'd spend the next day drawing everything out. So if you wonder why DB is so haphazard, it was because he was trying to give himself as little stress as possible. We're talking about a guy who made Super Saiyans blonde so his ink assistant wouldn't have to fill Goku's hair in every panel anymore :russ:

The nikka started doing manga because he got tired of working in advertising but needed cigarette money:mjlol:

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
The thing with Dragon ball was Toriyama never even really wanted to make it in the first place. He worked himself damn near to death doing Dr. Slump to the point where he was getting 2 TOTAL hours of sleep a week. When he decided to end it, he wanted to be done with manga altogether but his editor would only let him end the series on the condition that he'd start up a new series in 6 months.

So he came up with Dragon Ball, but decided to do it on his terms and not give a fukk. He would literally goof off for 5 days of the week and not even start working on the chapters until a day and a half before the deadline! He said he'd wake up at midnight, do the storyboard for 6 hours straight and then fax it to Toei animation so they can use it for the anime. And the storyboard would double as his rough draft too since he only had 2 days to work with:lolbron:. Then he'd spend the next day drawing everything out. So if you wonder why DB is so haphazard, it was because he was trying to give himself as little stress as possible. We're talking about a guy who made Super Saiyans blonde so his ink assistant wouldn't have to fill Goku's hair in every panel anymore :russ:

The nikka started doing manga because he got tired of working in advertising but needed cigarette money:mjlol:

Toriyama never faxed any storyboards to Toei animation. Animating a single episode of anime takes weeks upon weeks, the show ran like every other adaptation. They used the available manga volumes and added a ton of filler so they wouldn't catch

His involvement with the anime has never been more than outlines for Super and character designs.

Production Guide | Toriyama's Contributions to the Anime
Toyotaro Talks About Akira Toriyama’s Involvement In Dragon Ball Super – OtakuKart

I think you mean he probably faxed roughs for the manga chapters to Shueisha very close to his deadlines.

He would literally goof off for 5 days of the week and not even start working on the chapters until a day and a half before the deadline!
Stretching it a liiiiiiiiiiiil bit. There's an interview he did with Oda about having only slept a total of 20 minutes over six days drawing Dragon Ball. Remember, these guys have to turn in 2-3 chapters a week.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Toriyama never faxed any storyboards to Toei animation. Animating a single episode of anime takes weeks upon weeks, the show ran like every other adaptation. They used the available manga volumes and added a ton of filler so they wouldn't catch

His involvement with the anime has never been more than outlines for Super and character designs.

Production Guide | Toriyama's Contributions to the Anime
Toyotaro Talks About Akira Toriyama’s Involvement In Dragon Ball Super – OtakuKart

I think you mean he probably faxed roughs for the manga chapters to Shueisha very close to his deadlines.

Stretching it a liiiiiiiiiiiil bit. There's an interview he did with Oda about having only slept a total of 20 minutes over six days drawing Dragon Ball. Remember, these guys have to turn in 2-3 chapters a week.
Nah, he was talking about Dr. Slump. And the interview I was referring to was here:

Translations | Son Goku Densetsu - Toriyama x Nakatsuru

Toriyama:
I’d start at around midnight, finish up the storyboard around 6 in the morning, then spend until the evening of the next day inking everything… so I probably finished up everything in about a day and a half.

Nakatsuru:
Every week, you’d do your manuscript in a day and a half? But that’s incredibly fast!

Toriyama:
Well, it was telling a story, so it was pretty easy.

Nakatsuru:
You used to fax your storyboards in to Toei Animation, didn’t you, Sensei? — The ones that were almost entirely rough drafts. Were those the storyboards you’d drawn in six hours?

Toriyama:
That’s right. I always had the storyboards do double-duty as the rough drafts, because they’re such a pain to draw. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
It’s amazing that you were able to do that in just six hours…

Toriyama:
When a new character would appear, or something like that, it would take a little bit more time, but once the design concepts and the story were decided, it was about a day and a half.

CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
Nah, he was talking about Dr. Slump. And the interview I was referring to was here:

Translations | Son Goku Densetsu - Toriyama x Nakatsuru

Toriyama:
I’d start at around midnight, finish up the storyboard around 6 in the morning, then spend until the evening of the next day inking everything… so I probably finished up everything in about a day and a half.

Nakatsuru:
Every week, you’d do your manuscript in a day and a half? But that’s incredibly fast!

Toriyama:
Well, it was telling a story, so it was pretty easy.

Nakatsuru:
You used to fax your storyboards in to Toei Animation, didn’t you, Sensei? — The ones that were almost entirely rough drafts. Were those the storyboards you’d drawn in six hours?

Toriyama:
That’s right. I always had the storyboards do double-duty as the rough drafts, because they’re such a pain to draw. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
It’s amazing that you were able to do that in just six hours…

Toriyama:
When a new character would appear, or something like that, it would take a little bit more time, but once the design concepts and the story were decided, it was about a day and a half.
I stand corrected. That's strange that he would send his roughs to Toei though. Unless he was specifically sending them to Nakatsuru/Maeda.

dit: not that strange when I think about. I need to go to bed lol

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Do you think if dragonball had less powerups it would be more respected, I think that’s what it comes down to like hunter x hunter

just rewatch the saiyan saga - Frieza saga and there's your answer.

The show was better when the the drama played out like a game of chess instead of a damn car show.

When it was more focused on skill, techniques, training and letting the other characters get some shine and play their roles. Transformations made sense and were more significant because their was a comeplling story that built up to the moment when the drama reached its absolute apex and the protagonist had to pull out all the stops to save the day.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They ain't even trying tbh

Some of these fan videos and theories are better than Super.

Example, the reason why the U6 saiyans are so strong? The show could have simply said that they were more evolved than U7 or they had a super saiyan gene or some shyt.

Nah, its the tingly feeling at the back of your neck :skip:
i would've forgiven everything about the zamasu/goku black saga if they had just committed to bringing future trunks into main cast for good

instead trunks is cuckolding himself in an alternate dimension, zamasu won, and goku went through all that bullshyt but forgot he had the zeno button in his pocket the whole time

:dwillhuh:

i know toriyama be high as a fukkin kite

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Huge spoiler

zwvwCFE.jpg

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Holy shyt I forgot how much better Goku sounds in English. I like Nozawa but that "tatataatat" shyt gets annoying real quick

Last edited: