Dr. Watkins Speaks On Empire/Media Propaganda (NEW)

Daps
Reppin
VOID
y'all whine about poor images of Black folks in the media (of course there does need to be a better balance on TV) while holding a terrible self representation of your race yourselves with many of you dudes posts on here y'all sure you aren't being a lil hypocritical :usure:
Nah, I don't think that's the point. I've met and have been around enough black folks to know we're very multifaceted and don't fit into a type...even when most people would disagree.

It's just a certain type of black person and a certain image of black people is usually present in the media that doesn't fit the wide reality of the black experience in America and the world.

Where are all the black nerd characters on TV? Like the ones in real life, that like Anime and Comic Books, wear glasses, listen to Childish Gambino and Odd Future, skate a little bit, are addicted to the internet?
Where are all the black female characters that are busting their chops in college? Making good grades? Meeting different types of people for th efirst time? Facing adversity?

The thing is, we can have those characters...as well as having those black characters represented that came from the hood...that liked hip-hop, that went in and out of jail, that are trying to get their life right...those black women that have kids and like to go to the club every weekend and are studying to get their bachelor's and masters to make a living?

That's the point...there is no balance. No one is ashamed of themselves or their blackness...to assume such a thing would be absolutely absurd. No one is gleaming for the approval of whites either or is worried about what they think of us...it's just there is no balance in the images that are out there of us...at all.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Its almost like the fact that media propaganda is being used against us is totally being glossed over here. Do we even all agree with whats being said in this Umar clip? Do we all agree that there's a concerted effort to distort our image to the world through the use of shows like this and poisonous rap? The point of the thread (i even said it in the thread title) is that most of us arent even aware of the term "media propaganda". We are totally oblivious to how marketing and propaganda is and how it works. These entertainers are puppets being used to uphold stereotypes while fattening the wallets of jews and whites. There's a strategy to everything that we see and hear. Media pretty much controls the world. Why do u think companies are willing to spend millions of dollars for a 30sec ad during the super bowl? Empire itself isn't the problem, its the fact that we are unaware of history and how the power of media has been used in the past to oppress and conquer entire races of ppl. We MUST become conscious of this.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
Why should they take a show like Empire off the air? shyt is entertaining. If some people are dumb enough to act out the most ignorant scenes in real life, then they're probably gonna be just as dumb no matter what you put in front of them. A show about a black engineer isn't gonna make a nikka suddenly know his arithmetic. And that shyt would be boring. Why should I suffer?

Yeah we got a lotta dumb brothas and sistas out there. But I think blaming TV is a cop out. Their ignorance and stupidity was fully brewed long before Empire came on the air.

Let the fukkery ensue. :blessed:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:snoop: watch the vid above you breh. Learn your history. We all must
Why should they take a show like Empire off the air? shyt is entertaining. If some people are dumb enough to act out the most ignorant scenes in real life, then they're probably gonna be just as dumb no matter what you put in front of them. A show about a black engineer isn't gonna make a nikka suddenly know his arithmetic. And that shyt would be boring. Why should I suffer?

Yeah we got a lotta dumb brothas and sistas out there. But I think blaming TV is a cop out. Their ignorance and stupidity was fully brewed long before Empire came on the air.

Let the fukkery ensue. :blessed:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
/
Nah, I don't think that's the point. I've met and have been around enough black folks to know we're very multifaceted and don't fit into a type...even when most people would disagree.

It's just a certain type of black person and a certain image of black people is usually present in the media that doesn't fit the wide reality of the black experience in America and the world.

Where are all the black nerd characters on TV? Like the ones in real life, that like Anime and Comic Books, wear glasses, listen to Childish Gambino and Odd Future, skate a little bit, are addicted to the internet?
Where are all the black female characters that are busting their chops in college? Making good grades? Meeting different types of people for th efirst time? Facing adversity?

The thing is, we can have those characters...as well as having those black characters represented that came from the hood...that liked hip-hop, that went in and out of jail, that are trying to get their life right...those black women that have kids and like to go to the club every weekend and are studying to get their bachelor's and masters to make a living?

That's the point...there is no balance. No one is ashamed of themselves or their blackness...to assume such a thing would be absolutely absurd. No one is gleaming for the approval of whites either or is worried about what they think of us...it's just there is no balance in the images that are out there of us...at all.

Where are all these white show's yall see of people going to work for 12 hours to stay above water, while the kids study to get straight A's in High School, and everybody goes to church on Sunday and come home to a home cooked meal, while holding hands and singing like the smurfs???

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
:snoop: watch the vid above you breh. Learn your history. We all must

Don't try to play me, breh. I'm not one of these dumb nikkas.

And I don't see how that video applies to Empire. There's nothing over the top with that show. And it's a reflection of real life. What propaganda? A black owned business going public.

If you're concerned with how others view you, then show them something better, with your actions. Do you want all black people on TV portrayed as doctors and lawyers? Then we better get some more doctors and lawyers out there. I know maybe 5 black doctors and 5 black lawyers. How many emcees and "record label owners" do I know? Hundreds! Come on man, my barber once paused mid cut to write down a "hot line" that came into his head. :why: And not because of Empire either. :comeon:

We see some positive black shows. And we see some negative ones. Kinda like how we see some positive brothas and sistas and some negative ones. This entire thread is a ridiculous reach.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
It seems like for too many "conscious" people, they think being pro-black means how insufferably whiny, illogical, and annoying they can be on a given topic about black people.
Pretty much.

Same dudes who were calling fukking Melissa Harris Perry a c00n a month or so ago.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
JQzCpkQU.gif

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Don't try to play me, breh. I'm not one of these dumb nikkas.

And I don't see how that video applies to Empire. There's nothing over the top with that show. And it's a reflection of real life. What propaganda? A black owned business going public.

If you're concerned with how others view you, then show them something better, with your actions. Do you want all black people on TV portrayed as doctors and lawyers? Then we better get some more doctors and lawyers out there. I know maybe 5 black doctors and 5 black lawyers. How many emcees and "record label owners" do I know? Hundreds! Come on man, my barber once paused mid cut to write down a "hot line" that came into his head. :why: And not because of Empire either. :comeon:

We see some positive black shows. And we see some negative ones. Kinda like how we see some positive brothas and sistas and some negative ones. This entire thread is a ridiculous reach.
/

Where are all these white show's yall see of people going to work for 12 hours to stay above water, while the kids study to get straight A's in High School, and everybody goes to church on Sunday and come home to a home cooked meal, while holding hands and singing like the smurfs???

so yall dont believe in the term "media propaganda" and that its a tool that has been used in the past to control and conquer entire races :yeshrug: thats cool. maybe IM the crazy one along with Dr. Watkins in the vid

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
so yall dont believe in the term "media propaganda" and that its a tool that has been used in the past to control and conquer entire races :yeshrug: thats cool. maybe IM the crazy one along with Dr. Watkins in the vid

Where did you see the words "I don't believe" in either of my posts? :francis:

Propaganda doesn't apply to the show Empire. The gay agendaists have more right to complain.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
:mjlol:

- Drug dealer turned hip-hop mogul named Lucious Lyon
-life as a ruthless hustler willing to kill to protect his business(which he did the first two episode). His old school friend
-with Cookie, Following a recent prison release after a 17-year stint on a drug chargethe
-the dysfunctional matriarch

-ghetto fabulous attire
- unsophisticated demeanor, other word hood rat
- Lee Daniel even admitted in recent interviews that his main goal is to "expose" sociatal ills within the black community
-corny violent hop hop shows or music.
-
Empire's Lee Daniels: "I Want to Blow the Lid Off of Homophobia" (Empire are embracing the show's label as a soap opera, but they're also championing a deeper agenda.Among African-Americans)
-sell drugs at the age of 8 just to surviv
-build the empire off drug
-Lucious throw his gay son in the trash because he was disgust of his son being gay,
-Lucious’ fiancee and Empire’s head of A&R, suggests to Cookie that her light skin and debutante background is the reason she shares Lucious' bed, instead of her
-back to the times when 'pimps, whores, drug dealers and gangsters' were glorified
-Cookie is the embodiment of all the stereotypes black women face on TV. Dressed flamboyantly with floor-length furs, color-coded nails and eyelashes big as manhole covers, she's quick to anger and ready to throw down at a moment's notice beating her youngest adult son with a broom when he disrespects her, while lovingly using the three-letter F-word to refer to her gay son.
-darker-skinned characters, especially among the women, are assistants and servants to the lighter-skinned characters. So darker-skinned actors like Derek Luke and Gabourey Sidibe play, respectively, Lucious' head of security and executive assistant, while lighter-skinned actors such as Henson and Howard play the power brokers.
-again cookie shoe throwing ratchet black woman.
- weave infested, bed hopping, ghetto black women on tv all the time.
-does anyone think this show being placed in the same slot as Blackish isn't by accident?
- They dumped every superficial thing they thought would appeal to a black audience into one small pot; even threw in some fried chicken

My past post before it was reveal a cac made the show:

-The show was created by Danny Strong (A White Man)
-The Head Writer and showrunner Illene Chaiken(famous for The L Word) is also White.
- The Executive Producers are Brian Grazier & Ron Howard (also White)
- Lee Daniels assisted Danny Strong in converting what was a Feature Film Concept into a TV Show.
-Network is FOX

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Most of the black characters in major TV shows these days are not stereotypical, they just are not majority black casts a lot of times. The news media, and how it portrays issues is much more detrimental than a show like Empire in an era where people watch whatever they want.

So what you're really arguing about is a lot of shows with majority black casts that portray black people in a positive light. There are only two shows out like that however: Blackish and Empire.

Now compare that to the role black characters play on casts that are more diverse: Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, The Flash, The Walking Dead, and pretty much every other mainstream show aimed at millenials.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

- Drug dealer turned hip-hop mogul named Lucious Lyon
-life as a ruthless hustler willing to kill to protect his business(which he did the first two episode). His old school friend
-with Cookie, Following a recent prison release after a 17-year stint on a drug chargethe
-the dysfunctional matriarch

-ghetto fabulous attire
- unsophisticated demeanor, other word hood rat
- Lee Daniel even admitted in recent interviews that his main goal is to "expose" sociatal ills within the black community
-corny violent hop hop shows or music.
-
Empire's Lee Daniels: "I Want to Blow the Lid Off of Homophobia" (Empire are embracing the show's label as a soap opera, but they're also championing a deeper agenda.Among African-Americans)
-sell drugs at the age of 8 just to surviv
-build the empire off drug
-Lucious throw his gay son in the trash because he was disgust of his son being gay,
-Lucious’ fiancee and Empire’s head of A&R, suggests to Cookie that her light skin and debutante background is the reason she shares Lucious' bed, instead of her
-back to the times when 'pimps, whores, drug dealers and gangsters' were glorified
-Cookie is the embodiment of all the stereotypes black women face on TV. Dressed flamboyantly with floor-length furs, color-coded nails and eyelashes big as manhole covers, she's quick to anger and ready to throw down at a moment's notice beating her youngest adult son with a broom when he disrespects her, while lovingly using the three-letter F-word to refer to her gay son.
-darker-skinned characters, especially among the women, are assistants and servants to the lighter-skinned characters. So darker-skinned actors like Derek Luke and Gabourey Sidibe play, respectively, Lucious' head of security and executive assistant, while lighter-skinned actors such as Henson and Howard play the power brokers.
-again cookie shoe throwing ratchet black woman.
- weave infested, bed hopping, ghetto black women on tv all the time.
-does anyone think this show being placed in the same slot as Blackish isn't by accident?
- They dumped every superficial thing they thought would appeal to a black audience into one small pot; even threw in some fried chicken

My past post before it was reveal a cac made the show:

-The show was created by Danny Strong (A White Man)
-The Head Writer and showrunner Illene Chaiken(famous for The L Word) is also White.
- The Executive Producers are Brian Grazier & Ron Howard (also White)
- Lee Daniels assisted Danny Strong in converting what was a Feature Film Concept into a TV Show.
-Network is FOX