Dr Umar Johnson calls out black barbers and beauticians for not working together & alllowing Koreans to take over.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
This is true. This chick I know moved to Arizona. When she got there she noticed in her area there were no hair stores that sold products for black people

She saw an open market and cashed out her 401k and borrowed money from her parents. Rented out a storefront and found a Asian connect for hair products

She was very successful for 3 years. Her connect waited until she proved she could sell there then they opened their own store a block over and then raised her prices on products.

My friend was confused and tried to renegotiate the price but they countered by raising the prices higher. Meanwhile her direct competitor down the street was killing it

She then reached out to a few other Asian distributors to get products but quickly found out they were all connected and nobody would give her a deal. She eventually had to close up shop after 5 years

Meanwhile the competition actually expanded and opened 5 shops in a 10 mile radius. She is still mad as hell about it.
So a black woman took a chance and opened a store that sells products that cater to black women since no one else would do it.

The Koreans saw she was successful and priced her out the market.

Black women in the area stopped patronizing the black owned store because the Koreans had better prices.

She didn’t go out of business because of the Koreans, she went out of business because the black women in the area want to save $5 more than they want to support their own people.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This is true. This chick I know moved to Arizona. When she got there she noticed in her area there were no hair stores that sold products for black people

She saw an open market and cashed out her 401k and borrowed money from her parents. Rented out a storefront and found a Asian connect for hair products

She was very successful for 3 years. Her connect waited until she proved she could sell there then they opened their own store a block over and then raised her prices on products.

My friend was confused and tried to renegotiate the price but they countered by raising the prices higher. Meanwhile her direct competitor down the street was killing it

She then reached out to a few other Asian distributors to get products but quickly found out they were all connected and nobody would give her a deal. She eventually had to close up shop after 5 years

Meanwhile the competition actually expanded and opened 5 shops in a 10 mile radius. She is still mad as hell about it.

Umm hmmm.

Chris Rock's Documentary Black hair touched on this very same bullshyt. But we won't stop going to them or doing our own thing so :yeshrug:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
The Black Barbershop will always thrive no matter what…

In the community, cats will always need a haircut no matter the occasion
Koreans could come to the black community and offer $10 haircuts but they won’t because they know black men aren’t letting a Korean cut our hair even if they’re good at it.

The black barbershop experience is more than just the price of the cut. If black women had the same approach when it came to beauty supply stores, we would have more black owned stores.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Amhara cat bought the beauty store near me about a year ago. Great salt of the earth guy. Greets every customer, always blessing them, giving kids candy, and keeps the store tidy unlike the Koreans before him. Every time I go in, he looks more and more down. Last time I went in, I chopped up with him asked him what was up, he told me Asian suppliers are x'ing him out and its hurting his business...this world man.:francis: @2Quik4UHoes

that guy

Superstar
Daps
He has no fukking clue what he is talking about. Asians control the manufacturing and supply chain of the products, and they make it very difficult for outsiders to enter the market.

Umar, yeah you can open a beauty supply store but you are going to have a hell of a time staying open when you don’t have access to certain products, and the ones you can access you are trying to resale after purchasing for retail prices yourself.

Now if you want to argue that the almost monopoly that they have on that sector needs to be investigated as there is almost certainly some illegal shyt taking place there…….thats another story. Cause we all know if nikkas attempted to control a market they way they have white folks would have shut that shyt down a long time ago.
Asians control the supply chain, we control the consumer base.

Black people cant just go into an Asian community and set up shop just because we can offer lower prices than the local Asian business.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
Amhara cat bought the beauty store near me about a year ago. Great salt of the earth guy. Greets every customer and keeps the store tidy unlike the Koreans before him. Every time I go in, he looks more and more down. Last time I went in, I chopped up with him asked him what was up, he told me Asian suppliers are x'ing him out and its hurting his business...:francis: @2Quik4UHoes
This is exactly what I’m talking about.

If black people valued black commerce and just basic dignity and respect, they would patronize his store and pay the higher prices. Then Asian suppliers would understand they can’t just do what they want.

Asians open up businesses in the black community and serve people from behind glass like we’re dangerous animals either though we been feeding their families and putting their children through college for decades. Don’t keep their stores clean, don’t hire black people in the community, follow you around, etc but black people would rather endure this type of treatment instead of paying a few dollars extra.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Koreans could come to the black community and offer $10 haircuts but they won’t because they know black men aren’t letting a Korean cut our hair even if they’re good at it.

The black barbershop experience is more than just the price of the cut. If black women had the same approach when it came to beauty supply stores, we would have more black owned stores.

Exactly…

That’s why I’ll always get a haircut from my bro no matter what.

The barbershop is one of the safe spaces where black men can thrive together.

It’s just like in Barbershop 2 when Nappy Cuts came in the neighborhood. The folks still supported Calvin at the end.

The barber is the pillar of the neighborhood and u always should respect that place no matter what.

At the end of the day, tip your barber and show him or her your appreciation every once in a while.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
When are we going to call out Dr Umar for not working with others to get his Hotep Hogwarts open?

Lord Jamar told him about his father in law who operates successfully a black school off of donations and Umar told him flat out he does not need help

3 years later and the school is not open and the HVAC is still in need of repair

Umar is disorganized…

He should have came up with a plan.

Black men and some black women are onto Umar’s game.

If he wasn’t tricking his money on strippers and ihop, he would have had the school by now.

It’s been 9 years and still no school.

At least Tariq has something to show for his hustles(Hidden Colors, 1804, Mack lessons,Museums, etc).

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
So a black woman took a chance and opened a store that sells products that cater to black women since no one else would do it.

The Koreans saw she was successful and priced her out the market.

Black women in the area stopped patronizing the black owned store because the Koreans had better prices.

She didn’t go out of business because of the Koreans, she went out of business because the black women in the area want to save $5 more than they want to support their own people.
Exactly

My friend knew she was being undercut. She kept her prices the same despite her costs going up. She knew the competition down the block had a direct relationship with the connect and were getting product at damn near cost

Even then they did not offer products at a vastly cheaper cost. But it was cheaper.

She thought (wrongly) that all of the black women who were her happy customers who show her some loyalty. They all expressed how happy they were that she opened up. They were all doing jumping jacks that they could buy their bundles and wigs locally

When the new shop opened up word got around quick as a hiccup that you could save 50 cents to a dollar at the new spot. All of her customers fled. She told everyone what was happening. She took out full page ads in the paper. Went to her local goverment. Blasted how unfair it was on social media

Black women did not give one fukk. At the end of the day they still saved a few cents by going to the Koreans

After she was forced out of business the prices at the new shop immediately went up. Higher than what she used to charge. Then to discourage competition they saturated the area with 4 other hair stores and they all sell the same things at the same price

My friend is still mad as fukk. She moved to Arizona for a job but when this opportunity popped up she invested everything in it. She was just thinking about expanding and saw a future where she could build wealth for her and her family.

She is now working a reg 9-5 and feeling guilty about taking from her daughters future and wasting her parents money too

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Amhara cat bought the beauty store near me about a year ago. Great salt of the earth guy. Greets every customer, always blessing them, giving kids candy, and keeps the store tidy unlike the Koreans before him. Every time I go in, he looks more and more down. Last time I went in, I chopped up with him asked him what was up, he told me Asian suppliers are x'ing him out and its hurting his business...this world man.:francis: @2Quik4UHoes
Smh. They are fukking him. Until we own production we will always be the customers.