Dr Umar Johnson calls out black barbers and beauticians for not working together & alllowing Koreans to take over.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
This is a low bar sound bite. Black people didn’t allow anything. It’s like saying black people allowed Colombians to take over the coke game in the hood. Or westerners “allowed” Arabs to run the oil game.

When they control the manufacturing and supply, what can we do? Not wear beauty products? The answer is to slowly build your own but that’s not something that can be done quickly. Koreans literally can undercut homegrown prices. Will take time and lambasting black people in the interim is counterproductive

Edit: in the online space I notice how it’s VERY easy to make low effort claims with little evidence but make emotional appeals that people will eat up. “Oh he right, he not lying”. We are so susceptible to this.
Most of them products say Made in America

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
You stupid fukker Asians were not denied access to capital like FBA's were.

You tethers will say anything.
What's the excuse do the current black owned business have :childplease: . They went through the same process as the Asians and every other group. We talking about 2024 we not talking the 70s.My credit score is 803, no bank is turning me down brah. If we talking straight cash, those communities pull money together alot of times. We dont trust each other and thats the problem we have.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Bruh, if you are purchasing from a store, no matter what the store is called, you arent getting the true wholesale price.

There are some brehs in here who work in supply chain and have access to purchasing numbers. Without getting too specific I’ll give an example I have 1st hand knowledge of. The wholesale cost of a regular box of cereal is about 50 to 75 cents. I dare you to try and find any store that will sell you a box of Captain Crunch for 50 cents.

Nobody is saying its impossible to be successful, its just going to be extremely difficult if the people who have access to the true wholesale cost move in and want to take over the area.
No shyt. That's where "negotiating with manufacturers" come in at, if you read the whole thing. But even still there is much profit to be had off of stocking their stores from A STORE.

Profit margins of the largest retailers is only 3-5% and that's what every business that plans to sustain long-term shoots for. You can get that off of selling pocket lint with a blindfold.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
When are we going to call out Dr Umar for not working with others to get his Hotep Hogwarts open?

Lord Jamar told him about his father in law who operates successfully a black school off of donations and Umar told him flat out he does not need help

3 years later and the school is not open and the HVAC is still in need of repair

Canon

Veteran
Daps
We know has to be done, we know what demographic has to do it, and we know everyone is afraid to say it so it's a non issue to me.

I'm not the one spending money on overpriced hair to put on top of my head. :yeshrug:
point blank period

but no one wants to say it :mjpls:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
This is a low bar sound bite. Black people didn’t allow anything. It’s like saying black people allowed Colombians to take over the coke game in the hood. Or westerners “allowed” Arabs to run the oil game.

When they control the manufacturing and supply, what can we do? Not wear beauty products? The answer is to slowly build your own but that’s not something that can be done quickly. Koreans literally can undercut homegrown prices. Will take time and lambasting black people in the interim is counterproductive

Edit: in the online space I notice how it’s VERY easy to make low effort claims with little evidence but make emotional appeals that people will eat up. “Oh he right, he not lying”. We are so susceptible to this.

Next it will be the weed industry.

Folk don't understand that these folks sell to their own and keep black folks out of these sectors.

Make you, their consumers.

Dr. Claude Anderson talks about it in his book Black Economics

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
This is true. This chick I know moved to Arizona. When she got there she noticed in her area there were no hair stores that sold products for black people

She saw an open market and cashed out her 401k and borrowed money from her parents. Rented out a storefront and found a Asian connect for hair products

She was very successful for 3 years. Her connect waited until she proved she could sell there then they opened their own store a block over and then raised her prices on products.

My friend was confused and tried to renegotiate the price but they countered by raising the prices higher. Meanwhile her direct competitor down the street was killing it

She then reached out to a few other Asian distributors to get products but quickly found out they were all connected and nobody would give her a deal. She eventually had to close up shop after 5 years

Meanwhile the competition actually expanded and opened 5 shops in a 10 mile radius. She is still mad as hell about it.
I’m fukkin furious, nah black people we need to create and control the supply chain and the means of production. This is outrageous and egregious

timeless

All Star
Daps
Chris Rock did a doc on this like 15 yrs ago, it's a supply chain issue
Black people have the power to culturally influence each other to prefer certain hair styles which might hurt the Korean dominance but that's about it

I agree. The foreigners don't want to share the market. The only thing that can be done is to stop shopping there and let natural hair reign. No more weaves, wigs, clip ins, or extensions.

But that would never fly. :manny:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
This is true. This chick I know moved to Arizona. When she got there she noticed in her area there were no hair stores that sold products for black people

She saw an open market and cashed out her 401k and borrowed money from her parents. Rented out a storefront and found a Asian connect for hair products

She was very successful for 3 years. Her connect waited until she proved she could sell there then they opened their own store a block over and then raised her prices on products.

My friend was confused and tried to renegotiate the price but they countered by raising the prices higher. Meanwhile her direct competitor down the street was killing it

She then reached out to a few other Asian distributors to get products but quickly found out they were all connected and nobody would give her a deal. She eventually had to close up shop after 5 years

Meanwhile the competition actually expanded and opened 5 shops in a 10 mile radius. She is still mad as hell about it.
She should have contacted an anti-trust lawyer. I don't know how things are America but in the UK, that type of practice will result in a one way ticket to getting fined a percentage on your gross revenue.

About as anti-competitive as it gets.