Dr. Dre Bemoans Multiple Producers Working On Same Album: 'I Don't Like It'

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
There are countless hot albums that had multiple proceeds in rap history lol
And even more trash ones. It’s not coincidental album quality fell off when having 12 producers on 12 songs became standard.

Though it’s not as bad as now where there’s 4 producers on one song. There’s a new Schoolboy Q joint with 10 producers on one song, that’s more than a lot of albums :mjlol:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But he has been using multiple producers as well. I don’t even mind if a lot of producers are on one album. I like diverse sounds and not everything needs to sound the same.

This right here.

Also didn’t Quik give Dr Dre his drums to use
Didn’t Scott storch do the piano on still Dre and other beats on 2001

We can go on and on

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOL NO

HE HAD SESSION PLAYERS WHO WORKED UNDER HIM

HUGE DIFFERENCE
Word? :gladbron:

So Daz didn't make a ton of his beats that he then went and spruced up? :jbhmm:

So Scott Storch didn't make the bulk of Still D.R.E etc? :jbhmm:

Ye, ye...i'm sure they'd like to be called 'session' players lmao

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just his preference. Truth is the number of classic albums with multiple vs single producers is probably split right down the middle. 50/50

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Dr. Dre has publicly criticized rap albums that feature production from a large number of producers.

Despite heavily relying on co-producers on his last album Compton, Dre used his interview with Stephen A. Smith to criticize Hip Hop’s move away from using only one or a small number of producers on a project.

“Find your collaborator. I don’t like the fact that there are, like, nine different producers on one album. I like the idea of one producer on one album. Continuity is everything,” he said.

Asked by Smith where the trend came from, Dre replied: “I don’t know, but I don’t like it.”

He added: “If you a producer, you should be able to produce the entire album. That’s what I thought it was supposed to be. That’s what I was doing at the beginning.”

I overlooked this part. this is about being greedy and getting paid; he was slick with it:mjlol:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I agree

Illmatic and a few other exceptions. But even with Illmatic, it was a batch of producers that had chemistry and a similar sound that complimented each other

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
And even more trash ones. It’s not coincidental album quality fell off when having 12 producers on 12 songs became standard.

Though it’s not as bad as now where there’s 4 producers on one song. There’s a new Schoolboy Q joint with 10 producers on one song, that’s more than a lot of albums :mjlol:
There are trash albums with one and trash albums with multiple

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Having seen this particular interview and a few others from this roll out AND Dre throughout his career, he is unable to express himself properly. He is not the type to be in front of cameras AT ALL. Snoop was talking some nonsense as well, one of them was high the other more on the drunk side, Calvin even alludes to Dre enjoying a larger glass of something.

He was just trying to say that he prefers working on a full album himself cause thats where his true passion is, hes a producers producer thats why he makes people do 50 takes of the same verse over and over again. He even says the new album is for people that appreciate how the music is engineered, all the sonics and shyt. He claims he NEVER listened to his own albums in full, he is a sound board maniac the same way Eminem is obsessed with rhyming perfection despite its uselessness.

Anyway dont expect too much from Missionary EXCEPT SOME PRISTINE ASS SOUND QUALITY AND SMOOTH SNOOP VOCALS

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I don't know what he means with producer, probably not beat maker.

Cause the shyt he produced had 1 "producer" i.e. the one leading the musical direction like a conductor, while had mad beat makers working under him.

Old heads and people in genres with a lot of non-computer instruments tend to a different definition of producer than your average hiphop head does. Always a lot of confusion when we mix producer/beat maker/beat maker playing a certain instrument e.g. Scott Storch and on.