Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Wait this is supposed to be a hood movie? lol what weak hoods y'all grow up in?

This just seems like a flick about a suburban black kid and his friends, will see it with my girl.

Breh, the movie ain't about the suburbs AT ALL. It takes place in South Central.

Just because the main characters are nerds doesn't mean they can't be from the hood.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Breh, the movie ain't about the suburbs AT ALL. It takes place in South Central.

Just because the main characters are nerds doesn't mean they can't be from the hood.

I saw the trailer a while back, didnt remember hearing any mention of it being in the hood. Oh well

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I don't think I have ever heard of the reviewer, Wesley Morris, but even all the racial issues aside, I can see what he was saying about the movie, just from the trailer. In the first thread I was hesitant, because why include bricks and drug dealers into the premise? That has been worn the fukk out. Another 24 hour or so adventure until dude can go to Harvard, from an LA public school in the hood, which is about the premise of 'How High'. Also, I picked up the social media friendly gags line, as potentially accurate, and I am less eager to see yet another gag involving someone accidently ingesting drugs and the comedic pratfalls that follow.

I will likely see the movie regardless, but it doesn't sound down to earth, genuine, and truly funny the way 'The Wood' did'. The fact he had to sit next to 4 'Real Houseifes' types who loved the movie makes the entire ordeal worse.

I agree with this.

Even our coming of age comedies seem to always have to have this angle, and I'm kind of getting tired of it.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If I get early from work I'm seeing it tommorrow

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm just just hoping this has a fun kid and play element to it.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Music score- 90's hip hop music is sorta like the 70's music was for my parents. Sorta like you see old cats like Sinbad going crazy over that time and music. Well, now, those "old folks" are now the 80's babies. And you see that through out this film. Great East Coast music selection (Native Tongues, some West Coast.)

Acting-I'm real particular about bad acting in Black films. But overall, I think it's good acting. The lead character Malcolm can act. Can deliver emotion. A$Ap Rocky, has that swagger to his acting. He's believable as a dope dealer. Though there is a major flaw which I'll discuss later. Zoe Kravitz, can act and she's :ohlawd:. Looks, just like her mama.:win:

Plot wise- Basically, 3 friends. Malcolm, who's the lead character. Is sorta like a young Dwayne Wayne (Different World for the ignorant). Smart, nerdy, virgin. Like most nerds he gets picked on and can't fight. He lives in Inglewood, which is drug and gang infested. But doesn't let his environment affect him for the most part. Got 2 friends, Jib, (he played Zero in Grand Budapest Hotel for those who seen it.) And Kiersey Clemson, who plays a lesbian, tom boy. She's still :ahh:though despite dressing like a boy.

Asap Rocky plays the neighborhood dope dealer, who sorta has a relationship with Malcolm. They discuss hip hop (Malcolm is obsessed with 90's hip hop and has a rock band with his friends. Sorta like a Young Pharrell/NERD). Anyway, Rocky invites Malcolm to his party and some unfortunate happens where Malcolm gets planted with some dope. Some people are after him and he's on the run.

Now, my problem with Rocky is this niguh can act. But he still sounds like himself. What niguh in Inglewood sounds like a Harlem niguh?:mindblown: I would love to see him in another hood movie but overall I wasn't buying his accent.

Controversy: There is a lot use of the word niguh from all races. Which brings up the obvious debate about hip hop and making people feel comfortable in saying the word. Females in here, with the exception of Malcolm's mom are all "exotical", mixed women. Which will get into the light skinned= beauty debates. A lot questions on identity, what is Blackness debates, new Black, etc. Another controversy will be how it made the dope game look cool.

Movie coulda been 10 minutes shorter. The humor was good. I'm sure the talk of this movie from the fellas will be Chanel Iman, who let almost everthing "hang out". If you're into the skinny, model types (i.e. Puffy type girlfriends), you'll def like a certain scene. If not, she's :camby:. It's sorta like your typical teen movie where he's able to get out of almost everthing perfectly. If you can look past that, it def. a movie you can enjoy. A magical, Hollywood ending. Which you expect from these films. To me, it's the best movie of it's type since "ATL". Not a pure hood movie, but it has enough elements to be consider one, imo. High B+, borderline A-.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
p.s. Tyga is only in the movie for one scene. Not feeling his acting at all. Sounds like he's reading.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
how did you see it so early?
is this like this gen's version of the first house party.

Art Barr

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Art Barr

Art Barr
http://gofobo.com http://www.advancescreenings.com/ Sign up and subscribe to them on twitter, facebook to get alerts on your phone. Then enter contest. Sometimes, you'll win.

No, not to me. It doesn't feel like this generation "House Party". House Party was more about teen fun, getting with a girl you like, etc. Though that element is there, to me the movie is a little too serious a tone (racially identity, Blackness), to be this generation's House Party. They pushing weight (the modern version), show how the game works in 2015. To me, it's funny but has a serious message as well. That's why I consider it 2010's version of ATL. Not saying it's a full out drama. It's def. a comedy but not in a House Party sense. But its elements of Boys, Menance,Juice, House Party, etc.

Last edited:

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
shyt Look an sound wild corny

We got money and violence and the chiraq spike lee joint comin tho
it's gonna be people on this board who will kill this movie. trust me. i know how this site is about race, koons, etc.