Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Never heard of this guy but his name gets mentioned a lot so I decided to listen. He said he hated it than gave exactly 0.5 reasons why (found Zoe Kravitz unconvincing) and for the rest says absolutely nothing about the movie itself, only talking about the way he perceives the movie.

This is why I can't fukk with this internet generation blogger/podcast/twitter critic bullshyt because it's just an endless array of people who don't understand the basic concepts behind doing a review.
Yeah too many can't stop being self-absorbed long enough to objectively critique what they watched on its merits as a film.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
Just discovered them yesterday. Listened to 3 reviews this morning

I don't trust morris. He is a bitter gay man who hates everything. my boy at work and i read his reviews more as cant wait to see how he shyts on this.
he is the absolutely worst of this generation's snarky reviewers. I don't trust him at all.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Never heard of this guy but his name gets mentioned a lot so I decided to listen. He said he hated it than gave exactly 0.5 reasons why (found Zoe Kravitz unconvincing) and for the rest says absolutely nothing about the movie itself, only talking about the way he perceives the movie.

This is why I can't fukk with this internet generation blogger/podcast/twitter critic bullshyt because it's just an endless array of people who don't understand the basic concepts behind doing a review.
Dude won a pulitzer for his written reviews, not video segments on a Bill Simmons vanity project.

As far as I can tell dude checked his language because the two old white men he was talking to weren't the audience for it and the review he actually wrote (which you can read here http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/sundance-diary-exploitation-blues/) wouldn't have resonated with them.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of Morris' work but describing him as an internet generation blogger is well wide of the mark.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Dude won a pulitzer for his written reviews, not video segments on a Bill Simmons vanity project.

As far as I can tell dude checked his language because the two old white men he was talking to weren't the audience for it and the review he actually wrote (which you can read here http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/sundance-diary-exploitation-blues/) wouldn't have resonated with them.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of Morris' work but describing him as an internet generation blogger is well wide of the mark.

Which has nothing to do with anything and is no excuse. I don't care if he eloquently put it on paper (I see he uses the pretentious ass Pitchfork style of reviewing where he spends the first three paragraphs about irrelevant shyt before actually getting to the point of the review, which would be doing an actual review), if that video is all I have to get an opinion on the movie than by the end of it I know nothing other than that he's worthless at doing what he's supposed to be doing.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

A good chunk of his written review comes across as him being mad because the movie doesn't meet his standard of "authentic hood blackness".

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Which has nothing to do with anything and is no excuse. I don't care if he eloquently put it on paper (I see he uses the pretentious ass Pitchfork style of reviewing where he spends the first three paragraphs about irrelevant shyt before actually getting to the point of the review, which would be doing an actual review), if that video is all I have to get an opinion on the movie than by the end of it I know nothing other than that he's worthless at doing what he's supposed to be doing.
See? We're getting somewhere. A conformist, knowing, style is a legit criticism of Morris work. But how about the illogic of calling out the entire aesthetic of hot take criticism and then complaining when it's inevitably not up to task? If you want in depth critique you should know you're probably not going to find it in a 2 minute video segment on youtube, so why on earth would you even expect to find it there? What's the sense in pretending that a 2 minute segment is all you have when it's clearly not?

There are plenty of great writers that don't translate well to TV and video, the fact that you think it makes sense to automatically expect them to is just a ready example of how the media culture you're deriding warps people's ability to assess the utility of different platforms when everybody is putting out everything any way they can for maximum exposure regardless of talent in differing mediums.

Dude is a writer, what he's supposed to be doing is writing. It makes no sense to assume that Simmons put him on video automatically should make him a gifted visual communicator.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
A good chunk of his written review comes across as him being mad because the movie doesn't meet his standard of "authentic hood blackness".
As far as I could tell he's mad because he believes the movie is selling a version of "authentic hood blackness" that would primarily appeal to certain white audiences. Of course he's using his own experience as a filter, just as you or anybody with the capacity for critique would but I don't see how that invalidates that criticism, especially when we've seen so many movies over the years like The Help and The Butler that do exactly that: Frame black experiences in a way that whites aren't likely to find uncomfortable.

Daps
he is the absolutely worst of this generation's snarky reviewers. I don't trust him at all.
He's nowhere near the worst when it comes to new-age "snarky reviewers". I can see why some wouldn't find his shyt palatable, but for the most part he knows what he's talking about. He isn't just arranging a bouquet of flowery language as a disguise.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
See? We're getting somewhere. A conformist, knowing, style is a legit criticism of Morris work. But how about the illogic of calling out the entire aesthetic of hot take criticism and then complaining when it's inevitably not up to task? If you want in depth critique you should know you're probably not going to find it in a 2 minute video segment on youtube, so why on earth would you even expect to find it there? What's the sense in pretending that a 2 minute segment is all you have when it's clearly not?

There are plenty of great writers that don't translate well to TV and video, the fact that you think it makes sense to automatically expect them to is just a ready example of how the media culture you're deriding warps people's ability to assess the utility of different platforms when everybody is putting out everything any way they can for maximum exposure regardless of talent in differing mediums.

Dude is a writer, what he's supposed to be doing is writing. It makes no sense to assume that Simmons put him on video automatically should make him a gifted visual communicator.

Wesley Morris, is that you?:youngsabo:

Regardless, I see no point debating a guy who can't communicate his thoughts on a movie in a way that's actual useful to those watching regardless of the circumstances of the situation. He had one job to do and he failed at it, so fukk him.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Wesley Morris, is that you?:youngsabo:

Regardless, I see no point debating a guy who can't communicate his thoughts on a movie in a way that's actual useful to those watching regardless of the circumstances of the situation. He had one job to do and he failed at it, so fukk him.
Are you being intentionally dense? If you have nothing insightful to say about the content of the written review then cool lets leave it at that, otherwise this is just the most boring kind of strawmanning.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
As far as I could tell he's mad because he believes the movie is selling a version of "authentic hood blackness" that would primarily appeal to certain white audiences. Of course he's using his own experience as a filter, just as you or anybody with the capacity for critique would but I don't see how that invalidates that criticism, especially when we've seen so many movies over the years like The Help and The Butler that do exactly that: Frame black experiences in a way that whites aren't likely to find uncomfortable.
But his experience is as a dude who went to boarding schools and then Yale so his ability to properly gage what is authentically hood is seriously in question.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
But his experience is as a dude who went to boarding schools and then Yale so his ability to properly gage what is authentically hood is seriously in question.
He went to a boarding school in Philly that provides free education for bright (mostly black) kids from broken/low income households. What from all that can you glean about his eligibility to comment on the hood or blackness?

Why in your eyes is it impossible for somebody that understands what is authentically hood to go to Yale? Are you not seeing how what you're implying here is problematic?