Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never heard of Wesley Morris or read any of his reviews. But I am now convinced that he is posting in this thread...

well he is one of the dopest writers around period, pulitzer prize winner and all. and the reason i brought him up is cause very few reviews are out for the film yet but he has more or less given his on 2 occasions, so his is one of the few we have to go off, and 2, as far as integrating race analysis into pop culture, i’d say he is the best or one of the best we have right now. i dont always agree with him but i will say dude is very independent and doesnt follow hype.

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Movie looks good, hope it delivers. It's getting crazy advertising the last few weeks. Most of the talk I've seen on Twitter has been positive too.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It was a little all over the place, but had enough humour and an interesting storyline to keep me and my friends engaged. The premise was a bit far-fetched but so are most coming of age comedies. There were some cool 90s hip-hop references and discussions and I definetly identify with the offbeat black protagonist.

It fell apart a little at the end, but then wrapped things up in a neat little bow that made me feel good.

6 out of 10 :ld: