Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Had a couple friends audition for this.

Wesley's review kinda turned me off from this but ima check it out regardless.

Every black movie doesn't need to be a classic just like every white movie isn't.

We should be aloud to have decent comedies as well.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
Wesley Morris, is that you?:youngsabo:

Regardless, I see no point debating a guy who can't communicate his thoughts on a movie in a way that's actual useful to those watching regardless of the circumstances of the situation. He had one job to do and he failed at it, so fukk him.
You are truly an a$$hole breh :laugh:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
He went to a boarding school in Philly that provides free education for bright (mostly black) kids from broken/low income households. What from all that can you glean about his eligibility to comment on the hood or blackness?

Why in your eyes is it impossible for somebody that understands what is authentically hood to go to Yale? Are you not seeing how what you're implying here is problematic?
I consider his dismissing of Rick Famuyiwa's ability to write/direct "authentic hood blackness" to be just as problematic as you think my calling into question his bona fides on the issue are.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
I consider his dismissing of Rick Famuyiwa's ability to write/direct "authentic hood blackness" to be just as problematic as you think my calling into question his bona fides on the issue are.
Yours was an offhand ad hominem that inadvertently put the experiences of millions of black people in a box.

His was a critique of Famuyiwa's creative choices (not ability) in the instance of this singular film (having already given him credit for his earlier representations of black lives).

Suffice it to say they are not the same thing.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
Yours was an offhand ad hominem that inadvertently put the experiences of millions of black people in a box.

His was a critique of Famuyiwa's creative choices (not ability) in the instance of this singular film (having already given him credit for his earlier representations of black lives).

Suffice it to say they are not the same thing.
Are you related to the nikka breh. :skip:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I don't think I have ever heard of the reviewer, Wesley Morris, but even all the racial issues aside, I can see what he was saying about the movie, just from the trailer. In the first thread I was hesitant, because why include bricks and drug dealers into the premise? That has been worn the fukk out. Another 24 hour or so adventure until dude can go to Harvard, from an LA public school in the hood, which is about the premise of 'How High'. Also, I picked up the social media friendly gags line, as potentially accurate, and I am less eager to see yet another gag involving someone accidently ingesting drugs and the comedic pratfalls that follow.

I will likely see the movie regardless, but it doesn't sound down to earth, genuine, and truly funny the way 'The Wood' did'. The fact he had to sit next to 4 'Real Houseifes' types who loved the movie makes the entire ordeal worse.