Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You should probably watch the movie again cuz you missed some stuff. Of course a Hip Hop "themed" movies with teenagers is gonna look different in 2015 than it did in 1992 because Hip Hop is damn near 25 years older than it was when House Party came out. Also, the movie doesn't shy away from the fact that Malcolm and his friends were somewhat pretentious in their views of 90's Hip Hop culture just like most kids nowadays that think they know what "real hip hop" is. Remember the scene where ASAP called Malcolm out on his bullshyt when he named an album that came out in '88 and one that came out in 2001 as "Golden Era"?

Also as far as believability...poverty doesn't make you talk with broken english, or make your skin darker. Have you ever been to LA? nikkas talk mad proper.

Esquire nor Kid talked with broken english. Once again the kids were oblivious to culture of their surroundings hell even the Rocky calling him out on his hip hop facts being inaccurate says enough ON TOP of having a group called Oreo? What kinda c00n mess is that? If thats how yall roll in Cali more power to you guys. Once again this was a good movie but def not one tonbe considered a black classic. This was essentially a disney movie with nudity and cussing. Like i said we will agree to disagree. I will say if this how the youth are as a whole now then we are f*cked lol.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Just saw this flick last night. Incredible movie. But for many people, stereotypes and personas are gonna outweigh the actual storyline and quality of the film. Like I keep hearing people say ASAP wasn't believable as a drug dealer, or it was a bunch of light skin people, or whatever. If you pay attention to how the story comes together in the end however, does believability still factor in? I don't wanna give it away for folks that haven't seen it, but what I gathered from the film wasn't that Malcolm was any better than the other characters, rather that they were all the same and YOU choose to believe what you wanna believe. Take for example the whole scene with Kap G and the two "bags", its not which bag is real and which bag is fake, it's who's carrying the bag and society for better or worse chooses to believe which one is real or fake based on whose carrying it.

Malcolm achieved his goal not by selling out or conforming, rather by owning who he was. He discovered that being a nerd and a real nikka are not mutually exclusive. Once again, I don't wanna give away too much, but who's to say that ASAPs character wasn't a nerd too?
wont give it away, but the answer is in that movie. How that was all set up and the insidious nature of it. :wow:

I fukked with it. 4/5 for me.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not as obnoxious as "Dear White People" for sure.

The movie does do this gay ass pandering to every dweeb black kid that thinks they got picked on for being smart. They're in a punk band because Pharell wanted a way to squeeze his compositions in the movie, all those "punk" songs they performed were composed and written by Pharell.

It's like a 5/10 to me and I went in excited for this movie. I never bought into the whole "new blacks" thing nikkas on the internet complain about, but this really felt like a "new black" movie. A movie about black people but for a global audience, breaks everything down in a way that doesn't bother white and non-black folk too much. Hell, outside of Shameik aka Malcolm, most of the main characters are high yellow racially ambigious people and all the "dumb hood nikkas" that antagonize the main characters are actual darker black people.

A black movie for the tumblr generation that doesn't "see race", but it still had a lot the same tropes I would expect a white person that didn't know shyt about blacks in the hood to use. Like imagine a white person making a movie that opens with a main character complaining about living with blacks in the hood because they rob and pick on him for being smart, then having to sit in a theater with cacs thinking that is a accurate representation of the hood. Malcolm is sold to the audience as being a "good black" because he's "different" from the rest of the "not good blacks" in the hood; the thing is most blacks don't share shyt in common with Malcolm, hell Malcolm is kinda a c00n.

The movie still sells the black default as being bad, and unless you step out that default to like things like skateboarding, punk rock, and Game of Thrones (which I like a lot) while achieving academic greatness you're just a background "bad negro"

I sold itself on breaking down stereotypes but it didn't breakdown shyt.

EDIT: barely mentioned the technical parts of the film; it was well shot, but outside of the school security guard none of characters gave believable performances as kids that live in the hood in LA, Rocky was hood but he was a fukking Harlem nikka in the middle of South Central, NY accent and everything. The plot was very very convoluted and unbelievable plus the "insightful" parts felt like Damon Wayans was gonna pop out and yell "MESSAGEEEEEEEEEE!". Soundtrack was nice though.

sounds like you c/s wesley morris. im skeptical of the movie myself, but just happy to see a black film in this day and age.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
wont give it away, but the answer is in that movie. How that was all set up and the insidious nature of it. :wow:

I fukked with it. 4/5 for me.

Was it the fact that she liked him better when he was Dominic or was it the "slope" talk? I mean a classic is definitely not the same for two people but this movie definitely gets classic rating from me. Asap's dialogue on Slippery Slopes is just as important of a narrative in coming up as was Ving Rhames' "Guns and Butter".

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Was it the fact that she liked him better when he was Dominic or was it the "slope" talk? I mean a classic is definitely not the same for two people but this movie definitely gets classic rating from me. Asap's dialogue on Slippery Slopes is just as important of a narrative in coming up as was Ving Rhames' "Guns and Butter".
it wasnt in those scenes.

later on in the movie when Malcolm meets the head supplier.

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Whoa, I mean I guess if I were to nit pick and watch the movie on mute maybe I would draw all of those conclusions. But whats to say that this movie doesn't factually represent the experience of kids these days. Whether you agree with that experience or not is a whole 'nother issue but still. I took my 15 year old son and he could relate. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he related to about the movie, but still doesn't take away from his experience just like my parents thinking my generation walking around with our pants hanging off our ass (during the 90's) was c00ning or whatever phrase they had for "new black" 20 years ago and same for my grandparents views of my parents 40 years ago when they were teenagers.
It's not like I'm an old ass nikka, I turned 23 two days ago.

I could represent the experience of a minority of black kids, but for the most part it doesn't represent majority of black kids in my generation.
Like I said it comes off as out of touch and basic, it's well shot from a visual standpoint but poorly acted and badly written. Zoe Kravitz character was so dry, I wondered if it was just bad dialogue and directing or if she couldn't pull off the character.
Malcolm gets the girl after only interacting with her 5 times through out the movie, the boys club shyt, the snitch/robber nikka (we still don't know who he actually was because the movie never explained who he was), what happens to Dom, how did he link with the old Harvard nikka, what happen to ol boy that shot himself, Malcolm casually commits car theft in the middle of the movie, the code that Malcolm wrote will it eventually lead to old harvard druglord's downfall, after Malcolm gets into Harvard? What character development happened to make bytch ass Malcolm brandish a firearm at another man?
Hell, Malcolm goes to Harvard but what happens to Jib and Diggy, they were main characters as well and they were so underdeveloped.

The movie had a bunch of Deux Ex Machina moments to move the plot along, but then didn't close off most of those loose ends or develop them properly. The movie was disappointing as fukk.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I was surprised how much I intensley disliked this movie, and surprised by the lack of criticism, if not by mainstream critics, then on here. Somewhere in there, in the set up, and the few scenes with Zoe Kravitz there is a quality movie, but you are looking at mere scraps. The rest is a glaringly superficial, embarrassing, badly written, broadly played misstep that has has much trouble finding it's tone, as it does supplying it's leads with motivations or relatable situations.

Of all things, ASAP Rocky turned in a serviceable, even above average performance.....but I am so tired of the routine where 'street' guys use 'big' words and explain concepts, haha they are stupid and drug dealers, they don't understand things. 'Slippery Slope' is that like skiing? Hilarious. This has been used since at least 'Starsky & Hutch', and used better. Much better. Pharrell Williams cameo fell almost completely flat, without a single funny line or action, which segues into the flat and lifeless, and most importantly humorless scene mentioned first. Right from around this point is where I was losing faith, the complete abandonment of realism, and of relatable teenage coming of age situations blurs very quickly from already shaky grounds (getting your shoes stolen in high school? in front of a security guard? Playing your garage band in the school lab with maybe 6k in equipment. uhh huh) to increasingly contrived and absurd ones.

Characters are scarcely developed, She's a lesbian. Ho ho. He's of questionable racial ancestry. Haha. Then we get to club where in poorly written scenes, which are both insulting and worthy of the straight to DVD movie Ja Rule and Pras starred in, we witness the textbook 'big drug deal', conducted in a nightclub on the man's birthday in some sort of dimly lit back office. Then, there is an attempted robbery, and a police raid at the same time, in never explained, arbitrary circumstances. In the ensuing confusion, Malcom is handed about 4 kilos of molly and a pistol. Men are also shot, killed, murdered. We will get back to that.

The downhill trajectory continues, sans one funny, self referential moment regarding the price Jay and Jeezy allegedly paid for bricks.....in a poorly directed and inane chase scene, our trio is pursued by goons, bent on stealing the 4 kilos. They transition into the movies next cliche, the sexual, bored rich girl willing to bed our hero, and rid him or his virginity, but things don't go as planned. AJ's son was funny in a moment or two, but very over the top... next we have the gross out gag, and the movie attempts to double down upon this. It doesn't work. Next we have the time honored cliche of the Harvard Alumni being the drug kingpin. This was introduced in early 90's thrillers like 'The Substitute' and others, and parodied in 'High School High' in 1996, it has worn thin, and further drags the movie down in a grating and obnoxious scene by some obnoxious fukk chewing the scenery as AJ for 5 minutes.

Now, Malcom has his task. Sell the drugs, as inferred to him by the Harvard kingpin. Let the wacky caper begin. The plot is fukking stupid, I'll just leave it at that, and stop breaking it down...it gets no better after the midpoint.

What were the directors and writers thinking? What is the message in this? Be a black kid who isn't a drug dealer or criminal (what audience are they aiming at where this is SUCH an anomaly, I wonder) and find your strength and self through selling drugs and carrying pistols? Are they fukking serious? Introduce a white character who utters almost no worthwhile lines who helps the kids distribute the drugs. Several murders are committed throughout and no one seems to care much. It's not that they are numb to the senseless killings, it that the movie doesn't know what it wants to say. Or maybe they are saying it. 'Dope' needed several rewrites or maybe a complete scrap, this was absolute trash. An obvious, cheap, pandering movie that is insulting when it is not stupid, and both at the same time, when it is not transparently sentimental, in bizarre ways, as Malcom pulls a pistol to defend his drug money, seriousness abounds. I don't know what happened to the talented guy who directed 'The Wood', which was realistic, touching, relatable, funny and genuinely entertaining. A screwball comedy that contains no humor, awful writing, and some serious ethically questionable material, all the the name of good fun. The running joke of saying the n word was also bizarre, and in truly bad taste. What was the message there? What were the filmmakers conveying? This movie is hollow with the heart of 'How High' and straight to DVD hood movies, and none of the humor.

* Any brownie points the movie earned by playing Nas and whatever else was past exhausted by the time the credits finally rolled.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I was surprised how much I intensley disliked this movie, and surprised by the lack of criticism, if not by mainstream critics, then on here. Somewhere in there, in the set up, and the few scenes with Zoe Kravitz there is a quality movie, but you are looking at mere scraps. The rest is a glaringly superficial, embarrassing, badly written, broadly played misstep that has has much trouble finding it's tone, as it does supplying it's leads with motivations or relatable situations.

Of all things, ASAP Rocky turned in a serviceable, even above average performance.....but I am so tired of the routine where 'street' guys use 'big' words and explain concepts, haha they are stupid and drug dealers, they don't understand things. 'Slippery Slope' is that like skiing? Hilarious. This has been used since at least 'Starsky & Hutch', and used better. Much better. Pharrell Williams cameo fell almost completely flat, without a single funny line or action, which segues into the flat and lifeless, and most importantly humorless scene mentioned first. Right from around this point is where I was losing faith, the complete abandonment of realism, and of relatable teenage coming of age situations blurs very quickly from already shaky grounds (getting your shoes stolen in high school? in front of a security guard? Playing your garage band in the school lab with maybe 6k in equipment. uhh huh) to increasingly contrived and absurd ones.

Characters are scarcely developed, She's a lesbian. Ho ho. He's of questionable racial ancestry. Haha. Then we get to club where in poorly written scenes, which are both insulting and worthy of the straight to DVD movie Ja Rule and Pras starred in, we witness the textbook 'big drug deal', conducted in a nightclub on the man's birthday in some sort of dimly lit back office. Then, there is an attempted robbery, and a police raid at the same time, in never explained, arbitrary circumstances. In the ensuing confusion, Malcom is handed about 4 kilos of molly and a pistol. Men are also shot, killed, murdered. We will get back to that.

The downhill trajectory continues, sans one funny, self referential moment regarding the price Jay and Jeezy allegedly paid for bricks.....in a poorly directed and inane chase scene, our trio is pursued by goons, bent on stealing the 4 kilos. They transition into the movies next cliche, the sexual, bored rich girl willing to bed our hero, and rid him or his virginity, but things don't go as planned. AJ's son was funny in a moment or two, but very over the top... next we have the gross out gag, and the movie attempts to double down upon this. It doesn't work. Next we have the time honored cliche of the Harvard Alumni being the drug kingpin. This was introduced in early 90's thrillers like 'The Substitute' and others, and parodied in 'High School High' in 1996, it has worn thin, and further drags the movie down in a grating and obnoxious scene by some obnoxious fukk chewing the scenery as AJ for 5 minutes.

Now, Malcom has his task. Sell the drugs, as inferred to him by the Harvard kingpin. Let the wacky caper begin. The plot is fukking stupid, I'll just leave it at that, and stop breaking it down...it gets no better after the midpoint.

What were the directors and writers thinking? What is the message in this? Be a black kid who isn't a drug dealer or criminal (what audience are they aiming at where this is SUCH an anomaly, I wonder) and find your strength and self through selling drugs and carrying pistols? Are they fukking serious? Introduce a white character who utters almost no worthwhile lines who helps the kids distribute the drugs. Several murders are committed throughout and no one seems to care much. It's not that they are numb to the senseless killings, it that the movie doesn't know what it wants to say. Or maybe they are saying it. 'Dope' needed several rewrites or maybe a complete scrap, this was absolute trash. An obvious, cheap, pandering movie that is insulting when it is not stupid, and both at the same time, when it is not transparently sentimental, in bizarre ways, as Malcom pulls a pistol to defend his drug money, seriousness abounds. I don't know what happened to the talented guy who directed 'The Wood', which was realistic, touching, relatable, funny and genuinely entertaining. A screwball comedy that contains no humor, awful writing, and some serious ethically questionable material, all the the name of good fun. The running joke of saying the n word was also bizarre, and in truly bad taste. What was the message there? What were the filmmakers conveying? This movie is hollow with the heart of 'How High' and straight to DVD hood movies, and none of the humor.

* Any brownie points the movie earned by playing Nas and whatever else was past exhausted by the time the credits finally rolled.
i did like the part you mentioned ude was like i know nothing about dope other than jeezy paid lebron and jayz paid dwayne wade :heh:..that and the part where the white4 stoner dude said he only fukked in the ass and not in the p*ssy and asked if he was technically gay were the only parts i laughed out loud at..and maybe half a chuckle at them clowning dude for using a hard "C"

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps

co-fukking-sign I wanted to support this movie because it was a black film.
But I can't get behind blacks getting major movie budgets and making subpar products.

It feels like people are grading this movie on a curve because it's a black film, because color-swap this movie with the exact same plot, it gets panned.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
co-fukking-sign I wanted to support this movie because it was a black film.
But I can't get behind blacks getting major movie budgets and making subpar products.

It feels like people are grading this movie on a curve because it's a black film, because color-swap this movie with the exact same plot, it gets panned.
I cant even call this a black film lol it wasnt made for us, we just suported because off marketing, our only nod was Stacys cameo

Millions

Carolina Crook
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ruff Raleigh, North Carolina
I think it was a classic breh. The writers did a pretty good job displaying the life of today's youth that don't tend to fit into the stereotypical roles portrayed by society. The satire about the bloods gang was spot on with them having Diddy/Al B's kid portraying a Chris Brown character. I also like the fact that they showed loyalty amongst friends as well as the fact that Malcolm stayed true to himself; even correcting his essay to state that if his skin color were different; nobody would question his desire to be different which tied in well with the definitions early in the movie (acting white etc.)

There are many different aspects of life; race aside and I thought this movie did an excellent job of portraying kids in our community that dont necessarily fit in with the popular set. I would definitely put this up there with the likes of the original House Party, Baby Boy, Juice, Do the Right thing and other types of coming of age films.
FOH :mjlol: