Don’t blame the players for load management, blame NBA teams

Do you agree with Nate?

• Total voters

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always wonder if it's black top versus hardwood issue? Back in the day, outside of league play I never played on the hardwood, always black top which is main course of basketball for most American before the 90-2000s....

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always wonder if it's black top versus hardwood issue? Back in the day, outside of league play I never played on the hardwood, always black top which is main course of basketball for most American before the 90-20

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Sorry to tell ya'll, but given the current rules to work with: this is what peak basketball looks like if you want the best overall shot at winning a championship.

They've over-optimized the shyt out the sport. Unfortunately given the current rules, it's lost a lot of it's flair.

The problem is teams would only be putting themselves at a disadvantage if they don't optimize and take action in the same fashion.

If you want to change it, then the rules got to change and that starts with Adam Silver and whoever is running the show - if they change things up, organizations will have to switch up to optimize winning under the new conditions.

Don't blame the players, don't blame the teams: they're doing what it takes to win given the current NBA product's rules.

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Sorry to tell ya'll, but given the current rules to work with: this is what peak basketball looks like if you want the best overall shot at winning a championship.

They've over-optimized the shyt out the sport. Unfortunately given the current rules, it's lost a lot of it's flair.

The problem is teams would only be putting themselves at a disadvantage if they don't optimize and take action in the same fashion.

If you want to change it, then the rules got to change and that starts with Adam Silver and whoever is running the show - if they changes things up, organizations will have to switch up to optimize winning under the new conditions.

Don't blame the players, don't blame the teams: they're doing what it takes to win given the current NBA product's rules.

What are these current rules that makes it more optimal today to rest players as opposed to 20 years ago? Are you saying that some new rules have led players to be more exposed to injuries and fatigue :jbhmm:

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
There should be a hologram of a player if he misses a game. I don't know how you'd guard him or try to steal a digital ball, but I think that would be dope. Players would still flop vs a hologram, tryna get a cheap foul:camby:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
What are these current rules that makes it more optimal today to rest players as opposed to 20 years ago? Are you saying that some new rules have led players to be more exposed to injuries and fatigue :jbhmm:
It's the same rules, nothing different but people now know you don't need 82 games to get a play-off position and the teams have optimized/forecasted their schedules moreso than they have in the past.

Because they're the same rules, if people want to see and end of or minimized load management then the only way would be for the league to enforce certain restrictions and force the owners to adjust to them. Otherwise the owners are going to keep doing what they are.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It's the same rules, nothing different but people now know you don't need 82 games to get a play-off position and the teams have optimized/forecasted their schedules moreso than they have in the past.

Because they're the same rules, if people want to see and end of or minimized load management then the only way would be for the league to enforce certain restrictions and force the owners to adjust to them. Otherwise the owners are going to keep doing what they are.

The bolded almost makes it sound like it's easier to get into the playoffs now than it was before, to the point you can decide to take games off. Meaning that's there's less competition for a playoff spot. Even though we keep being told this is the best era ever with the most talent ever :jbhmm:

Meanwhile just 20 years ago franchise players were playing 82 games, including the MVP :

FB-IMG-1677368127643.jpg[

Are you saying it was harder to get into the playoffs 20 years ago than it is now?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The bolded almost makes it sound like it's easier to get into the playoffs now than it was before, to the point you can decide to take games off. Meaning that's there's less competition for a playoff spot. Even though we keep being told this is the best era ever with the most talent ever :jbhmm:

Meanwhile just 20 years ago franchise players were playing 82 games, including the MVP :

Are you saying it was harder to get into the playoffs 20 years ago than it is now?
I don't think it's necessarily easier nor harder because it's a numbers thing: top 8 get in.

Whether it's easier or harder depends on how the other teams are doing and how many spots are heavily contested. If you're head and shoulders above everyone else you're basically a shoe in and can coast.

I'll say straight up if the other teams' best players are playing more often then that should mean competition is tighter.

concise

Veteran
Daps

It's not about being easier ... it's about teams realizing you didn't have to go all out as hard in the regular season to be a championship contender. San Antonio Spurs pioneered the methods and kept taking it to new levels every season.

Tim Duncan played 82 games that season and that was the very last time he did that. He went on to win 4 more NBA titles.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I don't think it's necessarily easier nor harder because it's a numbers thing: top 8 get in.

Whether it's easier or harder depends on how the other teams are doing and how many spots are heavily contested. If you're head and shoulders above everyone else you're basically a shoe in and can coast.

I'll say straight up if the other teams' best players are playing more often then that should mean competition is tighter.

So we agree : competition was tighter 20 years ago, since as you said "you don't need 82 games to get a playoff position" today (your direct words) and just last year only 5 guys played 82 games, and none of them was a star player.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So we agree : competition was tighter 20 years ago, since as you said "you don't need 82 games to get a playoff position" today (your direct words) and just last year only 5 guys played 82 games, and none of them was a star player.
I mean, I've been more anti-modern NBA than pro on here lately. My original post was more a criticism of the current NBA than a support of it.

I think with how much offense is favored (they can initiate contact and draw a foul 90% of the time), load management, the emphasis on 3 point shooting, etc. it kind of gives the game a very YMCA feel to it that have turned many away. I get the impression that while they're insanely talented, they aren't being tested and are overly protected now more than ever. I know it's subjective but as a fan of the game after all these years that's how I feel watching it today.

Last edited:

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It's not about being easier ... it's about teams realizing you didn't have to go all out as hard in the regular season to be a championship contender. San Antonio Spurs pioneered the methods and kept taking it to new levels every season.

Tim Duncan played 82 games that season and that was the very last time he did that. He went on to win 4 more NBA titles.

So you're saying that teams don't have to "go all out" in the RS in order to be a championship contender in today's NBA. OK.

The graph that was posted before shows that you had more players, and more STAR players, playing more games 20 years ago. Why were they playing more games back then? Is it because :

A. You needed to "go all out" in the RS back then in order to secure a (good) playoff spot, meaning competition was tighter than it is now?
B. Players wanted to play more, meaning...they loved the game more?
C. They were in better physical shape/received better treatment?
D. ?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I dont get it I guess? The medical team is alerted ? How are they alerted? Are the players all micro chipped with data relayed to the staff like how you would see on an apple watch or fitbit? How would the medical staff know a player only got 3 hours of sleep, etc ?