Donkey Kong Trilogy on SNES was lowkey better than Mario

Deucage

"Who's the best: Pac, Nas and Big?"
Daps
Reppin
Th...th...th..th...th...The Coli.com
"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” -Shigeru Miyamoto the GOAT :mjgrin::ahh:
"The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumour got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end." - Shigeru Miyamoto dismissing the rumor :sas2:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the DKC games were more straight forward platformers

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snes dk>Snes mario, but from the nes marios and 64 on the mario franchise was better.

Mario 3>DKC 2>Mario World

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
DKC2 an all-timer but FOH :heh:

Mario damn near 3-0'd Kong by release year, 2-0-1 at worst

'94 - DKC 1 vs. Mario All-Stars + World bundle
'95 - DKC 2 vs. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
'96 - DKC 3 vs. Super Mario RPG

smmmddlllaaack :huhldup:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
DKC2 is a true classic, and a top 3 platformer. I can't say it enough, that game is legendary. The soundtrack is fire, the level design is fire, the secret levels and the challenge are fire, it's just an amazing game all around. (I'd say that DKC2 is the only one of the trilogy that truly deserves to be up there with the likes of Mario and Sonic). DKC1 is good, but kind of basic. Too many secrets tucked away in random bottomless pits, the final world was :snooze:, and some of the animal buddies were lowkey trash (Expresso :patrice: )

Mario World is good--it had a lot of dope secrets but was way, WAY too easy. You can fly over 2/3 of the game and kill nearly everything in one hit with the cape. Mario 3 was better, it had the sharper level design, better powerups, better challenge, and more variety. I still like the Special Zone in SMW though.

Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, and DKC2 are my personal golden trinity of platformers, with Mario 3 at the top. That game is goatworthy, we just take it for granted because EVERY platformer worth anything uses a lot of the same level design tropes that SMB3 grandfathered.

Flying through the sky to find secrets >
Levels with slopes that you can slide down >
Ice levels with slippery terrain >
Powerups that let you swim with the directional pad >
Levels made entirely of hostile terrain that you have to finish before your invincibility runs out >
Scrolling stages, including the tanks and battleships >
Water levels with a killer fish trying to eat you alive >
Secrets you can only find by getting enough coins in certain levels >
Incredibly well-hidden shortcuts, secrets, and extra lives hidden everywhere >
The sun itself trying to kill you >
The Goomba's shoe >

While there have definitely been better LOOKING platformers since, I don't think any of them have truly surpassed Mario 3 from a game design perspective.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Jax

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
DKC2 is a true classic, and a top 3 platformer. I can't say it enough, that game is legendary. The soundtrack is fire, the level design is fire, the secret levels and the challenge are fire, it's just an amazing game all around. (I'd say that DKC2 is the only one of the trilogy that truly deserves to be up there with the likes of Mario and Sonic). DKC1 is good, but kind of basic. Too many secrets tucked away in random bottomless pits, the final world was :snooze:, and some of the animal buddies were lowkey trash (Expresso :patrice: )

Mario World is good--it had a lot of dope secrets but was way, WAY too easy. You can fly over 2/3 of the game and kill nearly everything in one hit with the cape. Mario 3 was better, it had the sharper level design, better powerups, better challenge, and more variety. I still like the Special Zone in SMW though.

Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, and DKC2 are my personal golden trinity of platformers, with Mario 3 at the top. That game is goatworthy, we just take it for granted because EVERY platformer worth anything uses a lot of the same level design tropes that SMB3 grandfathered.

Flying through the sky to find secrets >
Levels with slopes that you can slide down >
Ice levels with slippery terrain >
Powerups that let you swim with the directional pad >
Levels made entirely of hostile terrain that you have to finish before your invincibility runs out >
Scrolling stages, including the tanks and battleships >
Water levels with a killer fish trying to eat you alive >
Secrets you can only find by getting enough coins in certain levels >
Incredibly well-hidden shortcuts, secrets, and extra lives hidden everywhere >
The sun itself trying to kill you >
The Goomba's shoe >

While there have definitely been better LOOKING platformers since, I don't think any of them have truly surpassed Mario 3 from a game design perspective.
Game is piff(Mario 3) but Super Mario World will always be my shyt.