Donald Glover: "I have more Grammys than Will Smith but I have the same amount of BET Awards as Sam Smith. Does that make sense to yall?“

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Donald Glover is someone who wants to represent Black people but not be around, near or associated with black people.

He's the kind of dude who used to HATE the brehs and never dated anyone black, went off to college and took some Black History
courses then turned into fukking Malcolm X.

:laff:
I hate these types with a passion.

Good music.
Corny individual.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Donald Glover is someone who wants to represent Black people but not be around, near or associated with black people.

He's the kind of dude who used to HATE the brehs and never dated anyone black, went off to college and took some Black History
courses then turned into fukking Malcolm X.

I hate these types with a passion.

Good music.
Corny individual.
His music sucks

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think he literally does not care about winning a BET award. He was just trying to jokingly patronize the event. Basically saying the type of quality or authentic music, movies, tv shows he makes or celebs similar will not get recognize at an award show that seems to only highlight or award bubblegum or superficial work.
You got it.

It's wild how seriously people are taking something he clearly didn't mean. He doesn't care about a BET Award. He is jokingly pointing out the aspects of black culture that BET ignores and what that snub represents in our culture.

Lenny Kravitz made a similar comment about BET ignoring him too. And the backlash was just as swift.

All this is probably why he doesn't care about a BET Award. Whether you like him or not, he's starting a needed conversation. :yeshrug:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean it's a two way street.
You can't expect to be "represented" while spending all your time around white folks.

I can't even find his old interviews where he gushed about rock albums and wasn't really
into rap like that.

He's a Lupe Fiasco/Charles Hamilton type that really wishes he could be Thom Yorke but wants to be Verdine white
as a fukking consolation prize.

"I guess I can take an award from you Negros but I'll have you know that I have some GRAMMY's a PROPER award".

It's so weird to me because the past fourteen years has had some legit amazing BLACK musical talent.
Bro is not god's gift to Black people because he could hire some studio musicians and practice his Blaccent.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You can't expect to be "represented" while spending all your time around white folks.

Isn’t sam smith a white British twink who spends all his time around other white British twinks? :dahell:

This is just like the Lenny Kravitz shyt, why we got all these rules and expectations for black entertainers and not white ones?

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
If Sam Smith wasn’t gay Satanist he would’ve taken the throne from Bobby Caldwell already … his voice is soulful af

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Isn’t sam smith a white British twink who spends all his time around other white British twinks? :dahell:

This is just like the Lenny Kravitz shyt, why we got all these rules and expectations for black entertainers and not white ones?
:dahell:

Sam Smith makes Soul/Gospel music and has directly targeted a Black Audience since he started.

:dahell:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
You got it.

It's wild how seriously people are taking something he clearly didn't mean. He doesn't care about a BET Award. He is jokingly pointing out the aspects of black culture that BET ignores and what that snub represents in our culture.

Lenny Kravitz made a similar comment about BET ignoring him too. And the backlash was just as swift.

All this is probably why he doesn't care about a BET Award. Whether you like him or not, he's starting a needed conversation. :yeshrug:
There’s definitely something to said how we as black people arent all inclusive to our own. We have no love for the alternative types