Donald Glover creating and starring in a ‘Mr. & Mrs. Smith’ TV series

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Season 1 Official Teaser Trailer | Prime Video

You can tell Donald put a lot of artistry into this I bet its going to be fire

But that chick is ugly as SIN. I maintain this could have been a black actress and it would have been a classic. Teyonah Parris or hell even Zoe Kravitz would have been great.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
It looks very good. However, I would think Donald had enough cache to call this something else so it doesnt draw direct comparisons to the movie. Thinking of Mr. and Mrs. Smith you think of the star power of the two leads.

Donald has star power, but him with this chick just doesnt exude that from the trailer. Which makes it seem miscast. Seems like he could have produced and had Michael B. Jordan or Yayha Abdul Mateen and Lupita or Zoe Saldana.

However, its possible thats exactly the point. Donald and this chick dont look like stars. Just run of the mill everyday people who happen to be assassins. :ehh:

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
You can tell Donald put a lot of artistry into this I bet its going to be fire

But that chick is ugly as SIN. I maintain this could have been a black actress and it would have been a classic. Teyonah Parris or hell even Zoe Kravitz would have been great.
A black actress more than likely was never in the cards, considering that before her, it was Phoebe Waller-Bridge

If they were intent on sticking with a non black actress, I think Emily Blunt would have been a good choice.

Or maybe it’s what @Dr. Narcisse said and it’s intentional that the leads are supposed to be “average” looking and not Hollywood like attractive.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It looks very good. However, I would think Donald had enough cache to call this something else so it doesnt draw direct comparisons to the movie. Thinking of Mr. and Mrs. Smith you think of the star power of the two leads.

Donald has star power, but him with this chick just doesnt exude that from the trailer. Which makes it seem miscast. Seems like he could have produced and had Michael B. Jordan or Yayha Abdul Mateen and Lupita or Zoe Saldana.

However, its possible thats exactly the point. Donald and this chick dont look like stars. Just run of the mill everyday people who happen to be assassins. :ehh:

The hook of this series IS that their supposed to be normal run of the mill people who are bored with their lives and sign up to be Spies and meet for the first time and have to get married as part of the deal.

Donald said he watched the original film and didn't connect to it, it was just "two beautiful people being beautiful" so he wanted to go in the opposite direction.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
A black actress more than likely was never in the cards, considering that before her, it was Phoebe Waller-Bridge

If they were intent on sticking with a non black actress, I think Emily Blunt would have been a good choice.

Or maybe it’s what @Dr. Narcisse said and it’s intentional that the leads are supposed to be “average” looking and not Hollywood like attractive.

They ARE supposed to be "average" but a black actress could still of course, pull off average.

With Phoebe-Waller-Bridge it made sense because not only was she supposed to star, but also be the co-showrunner alongside Donald. She left due to creative differences that were never explained but it was rumored that Donald wanted to tell a darker story that involved exploring racism and sexism within interracial relationships whereas Waller-Bridge wanted to keep it more fun and light. Those are only rumors however.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The hook of this series IS that their supposed to be normal run of the mill people who are bored with their lives and sign up to be Spies and meet for the first time and have to get married as part of the deal.

Donald said he watched the original film and didn't connect to it, it was just "two beautiful people being beautiful" so he wanted to go in the opposite direction.

Shiiiiid.. hopefully the show does well (for his sake) but this is where Donald has a disconnect with the viewing audience. I get wanting a slightly more grounded approach but ultimately ain't nobody want to see an ugly ass chick on their tv screen.

And not for the sake of some subjective view of what normal women should look like; not when you can take an actress like Zazie Beetz and dress her down to look like your typical Atlanta baby momma from around the block lol

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Very solid trailer. Curious as to why they decided to drop all episodes at once, seems like it would work well for a mission of the week format.

Binge watching is the norm now I suppose. And when I say that I mean writers and showrunners craft their shows with binge watching in mind so its part of the story structure. Unless the network conveys early in the process that the series will be weekly its understood that at least part of the show will be binged.

I know this because these are the conversations I have with streaming services when i’m pitching my projects.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Binge watching is the norm now I suppose. And when I say that I mean writers and showrunners craft their shows with binge watching in mind so its part of the story structure. Unless the network conveys early in the process that the series will be weekly its understood that at least part of the show will be binged.

I know this because these are the conversations I have with streaming services when i’m pitching my projects.

I figured with the spy format, they would maybe drop a couple episodes first, then shift to weekly. I know Amazon, Hulu, Apple do that for some of their shows. But maybe the full show works better as a binge. Just know that sometimes dropping all at once can leave projects to come and go quickly.