Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If i may say something here: The condition of blacks is no different than the condition of blacks in the United States where they face discrimination and racism and poverty is widespread in these black communities. Just like in America, when slavery was abolished they didnt get their "40 acres and a mule" either. So black communities there had to start building their wealth from scratch too.

Also, when you see some of the wealthy families there that are not black you have to take one other aspect into consideration: Lots of whites moved to these countries because they could get more for their money. So the average Spanish (from Spain) professional would move there with his savings from his country which has a large r economy and use his money to open a business there and amass lots of wealth. THis isnt simply an issue of the blacks being empovrished. This is an issue of the white in this case showing up with more money on said market and driving up the prices of sh!t to the point the locals cant compete. Eventually over generations and generations these foreigners become natinals of said countries and their grandkids are likely to be white like them too and most like will associate with people of their skin color. Add the fact that the blacks were already poorer than the whites then makes the black communities seem to be lagging even further behind.

However I cant always take americans opinions on racial divides in other countries seriously. Americans,especially black americans, tend to over-analyze everything that pertains to race. Yeah there is racism everywhere but please slow down with the analysis of racial issues in some places when you've only been there to visit for 10 days at the most for vacation. Ive been living in the U.S. for 20 years now and i still struggle to understand some of the issues relating to race here so i wouldnt expect some of you to fully understand what happens in Latin America as an outsider looking in.

This is why I give shows like "Black in Latin America" the the :dry: look when i see it's being told by an american

Disclaimer: I am NOT dominican. And my response was addressing blacks in Latin America, not just the Dominican republic.
Ok, you admit you don't understand racism, and how it works. Don't you think it would be good to learn from people who lived in the heart of the system, which every other place is following?

What you just describes is racism, white supremacy. You are speaking on buying things, that is the after effect of having a job and being able to purchase those goods. The problem is the people in these lands don't get access to the good jobs, regardless of education. You may get a token black but that is it. Everything else revolves around this. That is why its called systematic racism, it is a system to keep you at the bottom. It doesn't have to be said explicitly, the outcome of everything explains itself. If the situation is fukked up, and the blacks are complaining, if it was a system that wasn't racists like you claim, the people would put situations that help the blacks benefit more from the resources, this isn't happening.

I can't believe you just explained systematic racism to me, only to not realize that its systematic racism. you just put it into an example but, that doesn't negate the meaning of it.

Last edited:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Even I as a Latino look at other Latinos funny when they say they're not Black. David Ortiz looking dudes talking about they're not Black :usure:

Oh, and for the record when talking about the context of what people mean when talking about Black, that has always been incorrect when talking about Black = AA.

When somebody calls you Black, they don't necessarily mean AA (AA is just the PC term for Black). Black is just used for anybody that looks predominately Black. Yeah, you can say Dominicans have pride in their nationality. But when somebody else is looking at you, they don't know what country you're from because you can't tell what country somebody is from just by looking at them.

You guys do it with other "Blacks" as well. For example, look at Busta Rhymes. He's Jamaican, which would mean he's not African American. Have ya'll ever referred to Busta as Jamaican? No, people call him Black. They don't know where he's from. All you know is that he looks Black (because he is). So you call him Black. Same with Obama. He's from Nigeria, yet people call him Black.

Sam thing with Latinos. Look at Johnny Cueto

uspw_6528278.jpg

Just off looking at him, you don't know where he's from (unless you already know who he is). What you do know is that he looks Black (because he is). So you call him Black. :manny:

It's no different than calling somebody "Spanish" or "Asian". You call them that because you (think you) know there's of a specific ethnicity, but you don't know where exactly they're from. So you call them that. Somebody that doesn't know where Jeremy Lin is from is gonna call them Asian, and somebody that doesn't know where Daddy Yankee is from is gonna call him Spanish :manny:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
@GreatestLaker No Haiti is not part of Latin America.

We have strong ties to Latin America because of our history and how our ancestors assisted some Latin American countries in their fights for freedom from europeans (Venezuela, Bolivia and Equador others). THus why true anti-Europeanr leaders of Latin America always show love to Haiti (See Castro and Hugo Chavez). Culturally there are some similarities thus why Haitian music is respected and loved in Latin American Countries (Panama, Costa Rica, DR).

But Haiti is part of Les Antilles which are the francophone caribbean terirtories such as Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica and Guilliane Francaise

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
If i may say something here: The condition of blacks is no different than the condition of blacks in the United States where they face discrimination and racism and poverty is widespread in these black communities. Just like in America, when slavery was abolished they didnt get their "40 acres and a mule" either. So black communities there had to start building their wealth from scratch too.

Also, when you see some of the wealthy families there that are not black you have to take one other aspect into consideration: Lots of whites moved to these countries because they could get more for their money. So the average Spanish (from Spain) professional would move there with his savings from his country which has a large r economy and use his money to open a business there and amass lots of wealth. THis isnt simply an issue of the blacks being empovrished. This is an issue of the white in this case showing up with more money on said market and driving up the prices of sh!t to the point the locals cant compete. Eventually over generations and generations these foreigners become natinals of said countries and their grandkids are likely to be white like them too and most like will associate with people of their skin color. Add the fact that the blacks were already poorer than the whites then makes the black communities seem to be lagging even further behind.

However I cant always take americans opinions on racial divides in other countries seriously. Americans,especially black americans, tend to over-analyze everything that pertains to race. Yeah there is racism everywhere but please slow down with the analysis of racial issues in some places when you've only been there to visit for 10 days at the most for vacation. Ive been living in the U.S. for 20 years now and i still struggle to understand some of the issues relating to race here so i wouldnt expect some of you to fully understand what happens in Latin America as an outsider looking in.

This is why I give shows like "Black in Latin America" the the :dry: look when i see it's being told by an american

Disclaimer: I am NOT Dominican nor Latin American though i have spent a lot of time in Latin American countries (mainly COsta Rica). And my response was addressing blacks in Latin America, not just the Dominican republic.
So basically theirs is less around racism and more around colorism?

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Well not all of them. I've met Dominicans from DR, Dominicans who grew up in Europe and other parts of the world who said they aren't black.

So yeah that black = African-American argument is weak. Other nationalities don't deny being black. Its usually only the black ones from Spanish speaking countries that do that.

How about using the term, "Of African Descent" ?

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Back4The1stTime

All Star
Daps
There are two things at play hear. In other countries, it's common to identify with the nationality / ethnicity as suppose to the race. However, lets be real, there are a lot of afro- "______" in other countries that will identify with nationality / ethnicity b/c being black over there is just as bad if not worse than it is here in the US. So for them it's hiding behind the culture that ironically is suppressing them as well.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
So basically theirs is less around racism and more around colorism?
White kids are more likely to associate with and marry other white kids. Just like in America, right?

Blackout

Daps
Even I as a Latino look at other Latinos funny when they say they're not Black. David Ortiz looking dudes talking about they're not Black :usure:

Oh, and for the record when talking about the context of what people mean when talking about Black, that has always been incorrect when talking about Black = AA.

When somebody calls you Black, they don't necessarily mean AA (AA is just the PC term for Black). Black is just used for anybody that looks predominately Black. Yeah, you can say Dominicans have pride in their nationality. But when somebody else is looking at you, they don't know what country you're from because you can't tell what country somebody is from just by looking at them.

You guys do it with other "Blacks" as well. For example, look at Busta Rhymes. He's Jamaican, which would mean he's not African American. Have ya'll ever referred to Busta as Jamaican? No, people call him Black. They don't know where he's from. All you know is that he looks Black (because he is). So you call him Black. Same with Obama. He's from Nigeria, yet people call him Black.

Sam thing with Latinos. Look at Johnny Cueto

uspw_6528278.jpg

Just off looking at him, you don't know where he's from (unless you already know who he is). What you do know is that he looks Black (because he is). So you call him Black. :manny:

It's no different than calling somebody "Spanish" or "Asian". You call them that because you (think you) know there's of a specific ethnicity, but you don't know where exactly they're from. So you call them that. Somebody that doesn't know where Jeremy Lin is from is gonna call them Asian, and somebody that doesn't know where Daddy Yankee is from is gonna call him Spanish :manny:
Thank you.

Blackout

Daps
White kids are more likely to associate with and marry other white kids. Just like in America, right?
Yea but I think theirs may be less extreme though since they are closer to racial unity thanks to the heavy mixing there than the people here in the US.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yea but I think theirs may be less extreme though since they are closer to racial unity than us here in the US.
Im not sure i follow.

WHen it comes to how families evolve over generations you are not likely to see a lot of mixture. White kids will marry white kids post of the time. CHances of families mixing interracially are just as small as the U.S. I dont look around here and see a whole lof of mix babies, do you? You see some but it's not like they are a majority. Same thing there.

Blackout

Daps
Im not sure i follow.

WHen it comes to how families evolve over generations you are not likely to see a lot of mixture. White kids will marry white kids post of the time. CHances of families mixing interracially are just as small as the U.S. I dont look around here and see a whole lof of mix babies, do you? You see some but it's not like they are a majority. Same thing there.
Im saying that it looks like they had more mixture there in the DR than here in the US so they arent racially separated as black people here in the US are. Thats the difference between them and us.