Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
Im just speaking the truth. :yeshrug:

No you are not! hahahaha!!! you are trying to impose the American way into our way of thinking...

you don't have to split yourself culturally...but we do...and again! just because I identify Dominican does not take away my Blackness..and my Blackness does not take away me being Dominican...

I bet I've done more for the AA community than you :laff:

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
I honestly couldn't tell you. I was born in the U.S. and really only know things from family I've met/family I've heard about. My father told me his grandmother on his mothers side was black as coal and that generation of his side of my family were all immigrants. I'm just assuming she was some sort of African.

You might like this

They only tested two dominicans but it's interesting.
PRsampDRs.jpg~original

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
It isn't wrong. It might be something being lost in translation but a Dominican will identify as Dominican. That doesn't mean he won't acknowledge his skin color or African ancestry, it just means he is first and foremost in his mind Dominican. It really shouldn't be hard to understand. shyt, my family is from D.R. but I will always identify as a New Yorker before anything. It's just that on a grander scale. I'm still Dominican and that won't change, and if you ask me to trace my heritage I'll be glad to, but I'm from Queens.

I get you mean the ones who deny their African ancestry altogether but that way of thinking is almost out the door and it's a little ignorant to think all black latinos who don't identify initially as black do it because they want to be as far away from African as possible.
Its not about what you want its about the fact about being black.

Black Dominicans are black. Thats a fact and no arguing will change that. So if you say you arent black then your going against fact which is the only wrong thing about it.

Im just talking about facts, no more no less.
No you are not! hahahaha!!! you are trying to impose the American way into our way of thinking...

you don't have to split yourself culturally...but we do...and again! just because I identify Dominican does not take away my Blackness..and my Blackness does not take away me being Dominican...

I bet I've done more for the AA community than you :laff:
Its not about being American and its way of thinking. What it is about is being more educated.

Im trying to introduce you to a fact and you think its some nationality vs nationality bullshyt.

The more educated Dominicans know what Im saying is true.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Again, where did I make the argument 7revo is making? I asked why do latins claim race isn't important in latin countries like it is here, yet they are always at the bottom? Everything after that was replies dealing with the topic I brought up. If you can find me post something different, please do it.

It's over for us:sadcam:

I didn't say you made the same argument, just that you're both on the opposite side of Beanz, Arianne, and I. You got your responses to that from other people.

The system is the system. Blacks may be on the bottom but it's not a personal thing like it is in the U.S.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
What are you chopos even talking about? Yeah, we "Dominicans in DR" are very proud of our roots. In DR black Dominicans know they're black and are proud of their African ancestry, and know the difference between race and nationality. That's why people like Sergio Vargas calls himself "negro de villa", not "dominican de villa".
Well not all of them. I've met Dominicans from DR, Dominicans who grew up in Europe and other parts of the world who said they aren't black.

So yeah that black = African-American argument is weak. Other nationalities don't deny being black. Its usually only the black ones from Spanish speaking countries that do that.

Rubio

Banned
Daps
Well not all of them. I've met Dominicans from DR, Dominicans who grew up in Europe and other parts of the world who said they aren't black.

So yeah that black = African-American argument is weak. Other nationalities don't deny being black. Its usually only the black ones from Spanish speaking countries that do that.

Cool, and I've met Black americans who claimed to be egiptuns and shieet. There are stupid people in every ethnic and cultural group. Most black Dominicans living in DR are fully aware of their African ancestry. They're exposed to actual White Dominicans, so they know Dominicans are not a completely unified homogenous group of people, but rather a diverse multi-racial ethnicity.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
So let me ask you, if race isn't important there, and other latin countries, why are blacks at the bottom all the time? When I see the low class it is always majority blacks, but, I keep hearing race isn't important in these places. Then I also hear about how dark skinned people are treated, even in families, but, I keep hearing the same thing, race isn't important. It's like my eyes, and ears, experience one thing, but, people are telling me another like what I see & hear, isn't real. The shyt is confusing as hell!:ohlawd:
If i may say something here: The condition of blacks is no different than the condition of blacks in the United States where they face discrimination and racism and poverty is widespread in these black communities. Just like in America, when slavery was abolished they didnt get their "40 acres and a mule" either. So black communities there had to start building their wealth from scratch too.

Also, when you see some of the wealthy families there that are not black you have to take one other aspect into consideration: Lots of whites moved to these countries because they could get more for their money. So the average Spanish (from Spain) professional would move there with his savings from his country which has a large r economy and use his money to open a business there and amass lots of wealth. THis isnt simply an issue of the blacks being empovrished. This is an issue of the white in this case showing up with more money on said market and driving up the prices of sh!t to the point the locals cant compete. Eventually over generations and generations these foreigners become natinals of said countries and their grandkids are likely to be white like them too and most like will associate with people of their skin color. Add the fact that the blacks were already poorer than the whites then makes the black communities seem to be lagging even further behind.

However I cant always take americans opinions on racial divides in other countries seriously. Americans,especially black americans, tend to over-analyze everything that pertains to race. Yeah there is racism everywhere but please slow down with the analysis of racial issues in some places when you've only been there to visit for 10 days at the most for vacation. Ive been living in the U.S. for 20 years now and i still struggle to understand some of the issues relating to race here so i wouldnt expect some of you to fully understand what happens in Latin America as an outsider looking in.

This is why I give shows like "Black in Latin America" the the :dry: look when i see it's being told by an american

Disclaimer: I am NOT Dominican nor Latin American though i have spent a lot of time in Latin American countries (mainly COsta Rica). And my response was addressing blacks in Latin America, not just the Dominican republic.

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't say you made the same argument, just that you're both on the opposite side of Beanz, Arianne, and I. You got your responses to that from other people.

The system is the system. Blacks may be on the bottom but it's not a personal thing like it is in the U.S.
That is what i'm asking! If it isn't a personal thing, why do I see it consistently in every latin country?

Blackout

Daps

Your looking at the things I say way too emotionally and less factually.

I came here only to discuss facts, no more no less.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
If i may say something here: The condition of blacks is no different than the condition of blacks in the United States where they face discrimination and racism and poverty is widespread in these black communities. Just like in America, when slavery was abolished they didnt get their "40 acres and a mule" either. So black communities there had to start building their wealth from scratch too.

Also, when you see some of the wealthy families there that are not black you have to take one other aspect into consideration: Lots of whites moved to these countries because they could get more for their money. So the average Spanish (from Spain) professional would move there with his savings from his country which has a large r economy and use his money to open a business there and amass lots of wealth. THis isnt simply an issue of the blacks being empovrished. This is an issue of the white in this case showing up with more money on said market and driving up the prices of sh!t to the point the locals cant compete. Eventually over generations and generations these foreigners become natinals of said countries and their grandkids are likely to be white like them too and most like will associate with people of their skin color. Add the fact that the blacks were already poorer than the whites then makes the black communities seem to be lagging even further behind.

However I cant always take americans opinions on racial divides in other countries seriously. Americans,especially black americans, tend to over-analyze everything that pertains to race. Yeah there is racism everywhere but please slow down with the analysis of racial issues in some places when you've only been there to visit for 10 days at the most for vacation. Ive been living in the U.S. for 20 years now and i still struggle to understand some of the issues relating to race here so i wouldnt expect some of you to fully understand what happens in Latin America as an outsider looking in.

This is why I give shows like "Black in Latin America" the the :dry: look when i see it's being told by an american

Disclaimer: I am NOT dominican. And my response was addressing blacks in Latin America, not just the Dominican republic.

end fukking thread!!

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Your looking at the things I say way too emotionally and less factually.

I came here only to discuss facts, no more no less.

I don't see how I'm being emotional but I will respectfully bow out.

A lot of good points were made in this thread. Great discussion.

Blackout

Daps
I don't see how I'm being emotional but I will respectfully bow out.

A lot of good points were made in this thread. Great discussion.
Your grouping us together like its us vs you.

Im just here to asses something said that factually wrong. Im not against Dominicans. :yeshrug:

Its peace on my end too.