Does anyone ever feel like they live outside of the matrix?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
It's always been like this though. People are sheep and always do what they see the rich and famous do. I figured the people that are outside of the trends would be aware of it by now. 70s nikkas were hippies, 80s nikkas wanted to be john travolta/scarface, 90s nikkas wanted to nwa/pac or that weird new age punk cac shyt, etc etc. The majority of society want's to belong to something so badly that they do all this dumb weirdo dweeb shyt, they see famous people tweeting and then see z list celebrities tweeting so they feel like they got a shot at it. This shyt just repeats itself over and over, it ain't just america either, it's PEOPLE. People weren't shyt, ain't shyt, and never willl be shyt.

We ain't any "better" for tryna be against the fads and trends though, I see a lot of nikkas that go way left field with their anti trend shyt and either became the exact same shyt they tryna be against or just become straight bitter at society over some dumb shyt like this. People need to stop worrying about being individuals, some bullshyt status and focus on their fukking kids, their bills, and their future.

I agree, I dunno I guess the generations before us had the same issue but to me it's just way weirder for Gen Y than another group before. At the end of the day it's all about takin care of your business and if you do that it don't matter what you on. I just think shyt in society is weirder than a mafukka...:ehh:

Daps
Its not you living outside the matrix its you just not conforming to our communities quirks. I dont find myself falling for the whole swagg camo pants and jeans jacket tublr all day crowd. Its lame to me and I just find my own things to like. You still follow trends but you just dont like and wont like the current ones and who can blame you, shyt is looking mighty weak right now in all aspects.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
but to be real... if you livin lke its 98 or 02, then YOURE lame ass fukk, in society's eyes. take it how you want it.

lol, I mean like you listen to music from the 90s or music with that type of style or you dress like you from back in the day or some shyt. It is what it is then, but if being cool means I gotta dress like a full blown 'mo, instagram it, and croon to emo ass music then I'm a lame nikka, fukk it. I could be bumpin some Boosie and the car next to me bump some Meek Mill or Tyga and we both gon look at each other and think "Lame".

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
We ain't any "better" for tryna be against the fads and trends though, I see a lot of nikkas that go way left field with their anti trend shyt and either became the exact same shyt they tryna be against or just become straight bitter at society over some dumb shyt like this. People need to stop worrying about being individuals, some bullshyt status and focus on their fukking kids, their bills, and their future.

:lawd:

one of my favorite south park episodes is the conforming non conformist

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
From the Bay to Central CA
lol, I mean like you listen to music from the 90s or music with that type of style or you dress like you from back in the day or some shyt. It is what it is then, but if being cool means I gotta dress like a full blown 'mo then I'm a lame nikka, fukk it. I could be bumpin some Boosie and the car next to me bump some Meek Mill or Tyga and we both gon look at each other and think "Lame".

nah, i hear you. but its basically that the shyt YOU grew up on, outgrew you. Times change, music changes, styles change, all that shyt

Daps
It's always been like this though. People are sheep and always do what they see the rich and famous do. I figured the people that are outside of the trends would be aware of it by now. 70s nikkas were hippies, 80s nikkas wanted to be john travolta/scarface, 90s nikkas wanted to nwa/pac or that weird new age punk cac shyt, etc etc. The majority of society want's to belong to something so badly that they do all this dumb weirdo dweeb shyt, they see famous people tweeting and then see z list celebrities tweeting so they feel like they got a shot at it. This shyt just repeats itself over and over, it ain't just america either, it's PEOPLE. People weren't shyt, ain't shyt, and never willl be shyt.

This is what happened to hipsters. They tried so hard to go against the grain that they became the grai itself and people started to follow their lead and think they were trendy. Hipster was never used in ads how it is now. Now its a open label. The world is always going to be all kinds of fukked up. But this is why ignorance is bliss. While we're hear complaining about it and feeling upset and frustrated, those same sheep are happy with their lives.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
nah, i hear you. but its basically that the shyt YOU grew up on, outgrew you. Times change, music, changes, styles change, all that shyt

Yeah, unfortunately it ain't change for the better. I mean, the good aspect is more people are accepted for who they are but I just don't like how certain agendas are forced upon us and outsiders suddenly dictate the culture of young black folks.

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
Yeah, unfortunately it ain't change for the better. I mean, the good aspect is more people are accepted for who they are but I just don't like how certain agendas are forced upon us and outsiders suddenly dictate the culture of black folks.

:yeshrug: aye breh, i personally feel you, but alot of that shyt is subjective.

I'm not black so i cant comment on all that, but i understand what you're saying as a culture as a whole, as a 21 year old white dude. shyt is most def different than it was when i was growing up. And it's only gonna get more different.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
It is, I be feelin like Stan when everything became shyt to him. Last movie I seen was The Sitter, shoulda called it the shytter. It's like damn near everything sucks, doesn't help to complain but I just wanted to vent a lil.

Edit: It can be subjective but I've been thought that black folk need to control their culture more firmly. It's a form of power no matter how much people like to say "its just entertainment", "its not that relevant", or some shyt like that, culture is how we program people's minds to behave a certain way in society. So if the mafukkaz that made the culture have little influence in it's direction, how is that not a provocative position for outsiders to claim? We all know who really runs Hip Hop, the same mafukkaz that control the rest of our "entertainment"....I'm just sayin who told yall all these sweet shyt was cool?

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel like im in the Matrix but I'm aware that I'm in the Matrix so technically I'm outside the Matrix. Unless the outside of the Matrix is still in the Matrix, which means I never left the Matrix. But now that I'm aware of this I'm outside the Matrix within a Matrix. Or am i?

:ohhh:

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
Society's pulse runs entertainment. They have a better gage on the rest of the world than we do. Society changes, entertainment changes.

So entertainment should give you a good impression about how society is. fukked up mayne.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Like you don't conform to certain shyt in society and you don't agree with the prevailing trends of the time. I ask this cuz I was just in a thread talkin bout the Weeknd being gay or sumn and all the former Frank Ocean fans that ran to Weeknd are all blown about it. But when in the fukk did nikkaz start listening to this type of fukkery to begin with? When did it become cool to be extra sensitive and vapid of real substance?

It don't just stop there. Everything from following the ques of dirty hipster cockroaches, the popularity of reality TV even though it's not real, everyone on social media puttin they business out there to draw attention and feel like a fake ass celebrity, overemphasis on materialism, p*ssy being acutely overvalued, I dunno...it's like my 3rd eye won't allow me to fukk with this wack ass place. Anybody else feel that way? :yeshrug:

I never liked the matrix movie, but I kind of agree with the thread.

Programmers/programs of the day are no longer for you.

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
Like you don't conform to certain shyt in society and you don't agree with the prevailing trends of the time. I ask this cuz I was just in a thread talkin bout the Weeknd being gay or sumn and all the former Frank Ocean fans that ran to Weeknd are all blown about it. But when in the fukk did nikkaz start listening to this type of fukkery to begin with? When did it become cool to be extra sensitive and vapid of real substance?

It don't just stop there. Everything from following the ques of dirty hipster cockroaches, the popularity of reality TV even though it's not real, everyone on social media puttin they business out there to draw attention and feel like a fake ass celebrity, overemphasis on materialism, p*ssy being acutely overvalued, I dunno...it's like my 3rd eye won't allow me to fukk with this wack ass place. Anybody else feel that way? :yeshrug:

Using the "when did nikkas start listening to Frank Ocean and Weeknd" card wasn't the way to go. nikkas have always listend to r&b. Good music is good music. Thats why nikkas listen to them. R&B has always been kind of "sensitive". :yeshrug:

Other than that, nikka you ON POINT.

Especially with:

:wow:

Basically, everyone picks a lifestyle that they think they'd like to live, and they try to pursue it. This happens in every era.

I think people just want to be part of something SO bad. Every generation has it's hipsters / cool kids trying to stand out, not realizing that they are doing the opposite. :no:

My question to you is, where was your mind at in 2005? Where you "cool" in 2005, like these kids are "cool" in 2012?