Does anyone else miss the blog rap/blog rock era?

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most of the rappers in that time period blew up due to blogs like Pitchfork, Genius, Fader, Vice, 2DopeBoys, Earmilk, Anthony Fantano etc. giving them a platform.

Also, a lot of the people who listened to these rappers and read the blogs were hipsters/indie types. Basically the same people who listened to a lot of rock bands I posted in this thread.
That era was some bullshyt…I stuck to what I knew(Future, Meek, Young Thug, Big Sean, and a few others)
I can’t imagine a weird white man or white publications being an authority of hip hop, and nikkas wanting their co-sign

blog rock era to me is when absolutepunk was around 2005-2008/9

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
That era was some bullshyt…I stuck to what I knew(Future, Meek, Young Thug, Big Sean, and a few others)
I can’t imagine a weird white man or white publications being an authority of hip hop, and nikkas wanting their co-sign

blog rock era to me is when absolutepunk was around 2005-2008/9
Mind you, a lot of the nikkas wanting the blogger's cosign were coming of age at the time and didn't knew any better. Plus, this was before the mentality of "whites staying out of hip hop" revived too.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Mainstream drill/Refined mumble rap singer/baby voice adlib era :manny:
Funny enough, I would categorize some of the original Chicago drill scene as blog rap. A lot of publications gravitated towards Chief Keef, Lil Herb (G Herbo) and Fredo.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Not overly fond of that era but The Weeknd made his debut at the peak of this. I remember when folks didn't even know what breh looked like. All the subliminals on Twitter and when he finally dropped the link for Eos & Thursdays it was pandemonium. :ohlawd: KanyeToThe was at peak form here.

basedlawd

Banned
Daps
Everybody thinks the music they listened to in middle school and high school is the best. Everybody. That’s why me and a ton of people on here think the 90s is the best era. No one is immune :yeshrug:
Give it a few more years and we'll see people getting nostalgic over Lil Pump

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
it's crazy how much Wiz's clout has fallen off over the years. He hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread but back at that time he was THAT nikka in the blog era. His YT vlogs was running up numbers and Kush and OJ release was an event. Mixtape was a classic. Now no one thinks about or remembers him :mjlol:

WIZ WAS SUCH A LET DOWN OVERALL. HIS MIXTAPE ERA WAS LEGENDARY. HE FIZZLED OUT SO EARLY AFTER GETTING ON.

I WAS DISAPPOINTED BUT HAPPY BREH GOT THAT NATIONAL PUSH .

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hell No, this the era that killed Rap. After the Kanye/50 stand off and Kanye won. All these non street, weirdo rappers flooded the market.

The best rappers from that period is:

Kendrick
Wale
Drake
Cole
Cudi

Would be unnoticed in era before.
I tend to agree with this. It was a terrible era for hip-hop, full of generic rappers that all sound alike with music that didn’t age at all. I will add A$AP to that list though. He was a part of that generation. Wiz also.

I do miss the blogs though. Sleeperkingz (for R&B), NahRight, a lot of others that fed the streets.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel :flabbynsick:

but i've had the GOAT childhood and highschool experience for music:whew:

- hungry kanye
- prime TI
- masterpiece Jay-Z
- great selection of rock (the hives, arctic monkeys, gorillaz, the strokes, coldplay, linkin park, MCR)
- great selection of pop (prime Britney, destiny's child, prime christina aguilera, j-lo, chris brown, etc)

between 03 and 07, we were in the renaissance of pop, rap, and rock. :wow: