Does anyone else miss the blog rap/blog rock era?

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Besides my Golden Era, I miss the early/mid 2000s 'SoundScan Era' for the fukkery. The Koch Records independent hustle. Uploading tracks to Soundclick. The Future Producers, Rap Music forums. Everyone wanted to be a producer. The Reason/Fruity Loops beef. The Smoking Section blog when they used to post albums

Everyone doing the weekly chart watching

:mjlol: good times

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
That era was some bullshyt…I stuck to what I knew(Future, Meek, Young Thug, Big Sean, and a few others)
I can’t imagine a weird white man or white publications being an authority of hip hop, and nikkas wanting their co-sign

blog rock era to me is when absolutepunk was around 2005-2008/9

So Cole and Kendrick are "boring" rappers, specifically canuse they don't clout chase and make excess trap/autotune songs? :jbhmm:

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I miss it because it was so easy to find new dope music from relatively unknown people.

this was a really dope part about back then, as an explorer e-crate digging and stumbling on stuff was a highlight. Interesting/cool it would make its way to popular rap songs-that was the first time I saw concurrent sampling/lifting that wasn’t a remix or mixtape version hi (Menahan Street Band into Roc Boys a good example).

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
I honestly miss this era. Always dope new artists to check out, and mixtape hype was at an all time high. But there were drawbacks.

Like most people did say, you did have a small group of mostly non-black bloggers (Fantano types) gatekeeping a facet of black culture and determining which artist we should be listening too. I think the 2Dopeboyz vs OddFuture beef illustrated this.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can’t believe nobody mentioned odd future, lil b or Charles Hamilton

they defined Internet forum/blog/YouTube rap:manny:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
it's called the the Rap blog era, or blog era Rap NOT Blog rap

Big difference

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Blog era was that source cover with Wale, Cudi, Cole, Wiz, Krit (Drake and Nicki turned it down) etc... era was dope though

09-10 XXL freshman covers >>>

2009-xxl-freshman.jpg

xxl-freshman-2010-cover-2.jpg

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I honestly miss this era. Always dope new artists to check out, and mixtape hype was at an all time high. But there were drawbacks.

Like most people did say, you did have a small group of mostly non-black bloggers (Fantano types) gatekeeping a facet of black culture and determining which artist we should be listening too. I think the 2Dopeboyz vs OddFuture beef illustrated this.

Yea I guess the good thing about blogs dying and individual social media’s and YouTube taking over put the power directly into artists hands but the quality of content diminished as did the culture

we just need more black journalists/creators with integrity in music.

but mainstream rap is basically pop/trash these days so it gets what it deserves

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
peak blog rock was more 2004-2012

Arcade Fire, Dirty Projectors, Deerhunter, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Bloc Party, Animal Collective, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Broken Social Scene, etc.

2013 was a turning point. Arcade Fire dropped the dance influnced Reflektor, that got mixed reviews. Conde Nast bought out Pitchfork. Hip-hop completely eclipsed rock in popular music.

UK and Australia has a popping rock scene, the states kinda ehhh right now. Indie heads seemed to drift to EDM / House music, ambient/drone or "alt" R&B. Or they love drill music and trap and pretend they never fukked with backpacker shyt like Brother Ali & Company Flow

i think the blog / underground hip-hop started in 08 and peaked in 2015
:ehh:

Notable etc’s

MGMT, Metronome, Tame Impala, TV on the Radio … etc.