Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nope

They kind of lucked into Kubrick leaving enough meat on the bone for a sequel to feel valid.

King just didn't have enough material to carry Doctor Sleep Novel and it fell off a cliff.

I actually liked the novel a lot. Danny being a scumbag in the beginning and struggling with alcohol was really well done imo but it did lose a little steam near the end.

El Jefe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw it on the airplane and my flight landed before I finished I was kinda mad. I went home and watched it all over. Then I went back and saw the shining for the 1st time. :wow:

• howd you feel ..do you need to see the first before the second or was it best komin in without seein the shining

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
something i wanna note. when hes giving a speech in rehab about how his dad once stood there, and how when he was sober and standing there, he felt a certain emotional connection to his father. I felt that shyt. My father is a legit book smart genius and a professor with a ton of accolades, but i hardly know him, i only have the memories of him when he was sort of around and only when he wasnt being abusive. I myself would follow the same path, military, college, drug addiction. but unlike my father i sought to end that cycle and get the help i needed.

despite my father being a man who doesnt know how to feel much for anything outside of himself, i thought about the things he taught me and again, i felt that shyt.

I cant tell you how accurate that shyt was, if you take away all the magical shyt, nothing about Danny felt fake or forced. Dude really was looking for peace while carrying a gift that in reality is a huge fukking curse.

This was one of the best movies ive ever seen, and while the original was a classic, this follow up was far more coherent to me and really showed how people use drugs and alcohol to escape pain.

Also i aint gon lie top hat girl was hot yall.

its also the first movie i took my wife to go see on our first date and frankly, ill never forget it.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
something i wanna note. when hes giving a speech in rehab...

That's the exact scene I highlighted in one of the "top 10 of the decade" or sth threads. shyt hit close to home. This movie did more to humanize Jack Torrance than Kubricks Shining did, for sure.

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
That's the exact scene I highlighted in one of the "top 10 of the decade" or sth threads. shyt hit close to home. This movie did more to humanize Jack Torrance than Kubricks Shining did, for sure.

its real too. my dad only knew what his dad did to him. my grandfather is a legit WW2 Hero, but the ptsd that came with it was never addressed, so he took it out on my my father, my grandmothr died when my dad was 7, this is in 65, so my father only knew abuse. in turn he would turn that on his own family, and through all that up until i was fukking 34 years old, i finally let go of the idea of being around him when he insisted that he wished that i had been killed when i took two rounds in 2016.

When i sought his help for my own addiction, he just waived me off, and it made me feel worse. Yet in rehab, when youre doing all that forgiveness, i could only see the times that were good, like watching randy moss tear it up in the 1998. or his rant against how he felt Gasol was a soft bytch in 08, which...was one of the last times we would see each other.

its really hard to put into words what this movie means for someone dealing wiht that kind of pain and how you pass it on to your children if you dont deal with it. the movie illustrates this perfectly, i really am sad we arent gonna get that Holleran prequel.

A nikka when them powers in the 40s? bruh we needed this :sadcam:

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
  • howd you feel ..do you need to see the first before the second or was it best komin in without seein the shining
I wish I saw the shining first cause it was so fukking wild but I don’t think it matters. But it didn’t bother me or take away from the movie I still knew what was going on.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Damn just peeped this on HBO max, I wanted to wait until after I watched the OG The Shining while reading thru the novel as well and this shyt was excellent :wow:

Glad that I waited tho, shoulda watched this before the conjuring 3 which was mid as hell, I love the way they paid homage to the shining in the right way and didn’t force it, I love the last scene at the hotel