Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
For me it was the fact that they showed the ruthlessness with which they went after the kids. And they didn't hide it off-screen or go crazy with loud music/over the top CGI like the IT remake.

I mean look at this scene

The Georgie scenes in IT were comical almost. The only scene close to the Dr. Sleep one I just posted was this.

If IT had more interaction like that, it would have been a better movie. And maybe that's why I was hyped after watching Dr. Sleep :hubie:

It’s funny how Andy likes to think his movies are deep in interviews when they’re the complete opposite.

That’s one of the things I didn’t like about Muschietti’s take on IT - the Georgie incident didn’t feel as impactful as it should’ve been and the Losers’ encounters with Pennywise felt undermined due to the over-reliant CGI and shaky camera. Stakes just didn’t feel raised enough.

I love how Flanagan plays it cool in every one of his films. His horror is more subtle in its approach so when shyt actually does hit the fan, those are rare moments I’ll always remember and won’t cast aside.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm genuinely surprised at the positive reception this film got on here. I didn't like this, at all, and am struggling to see what everyone else is seeing.

:manny:

It's the tone that they take, in that it's completely different from The Shining. Abra isn't consumed by her shine. Of course it affects those around her, but she takes control of it at a young age, and never lets it take her into the darkness. For me, I love the concept that a lot of people's gifts turn to curses, but some are able to rise above the perils. At least that how it hits me. Abra said "I'm not one to eff with" and took a stand. And she also tried to help others.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
Doctor sleep is in a league of it's own.
it's under rated as fukk man!
UKVu0t8.gif

Daps
This review pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film:
Writer-director Mike Flanagan has stated that Doctor Sleep is meant as a combination of the finer qualities of King’s two novels and Kubrick’s singular film. Regardless of his best intentions, his cinematic endeavor turns out to be a largely flavorless stew. Its only noteworthy ingredient is Rose the Hat — she’s an original and unsettling character, and, as played by Ferguson, she’s so disturbing on her own that she actually loses some of her menace on those frequent occasions when the FX crew adds a glowing sheen to her eyes. The other members of the True Knot are far less threatening, coming across less as avatars of unspeakable evil and more as burned-out roadies still loyally following their favorite ‘70s band after all these decades.

Still, the scenes involving the True Knot at least steer clear of the influence of The Shining — both King’s and Kubrick’s. There’s nothing wrong with McGregor’s performance as Dan except that it doesn’t deep-dive far enough into the character’s tortured mind. Whether that’s more a failing on the part of Flanagan or McGregor is uncertain, but the actor feels more like a visitor to the role than an actual occupant.

Meanwhile, the decision to recreate scenes from the 1980 movie prove to be disastrous — comparing the artistry of Flanagan and Kubrick does the former no favors — and the picture finally jumps the tracks during its final stretch, when the action moves to the Overlook Hotel. These sequences, which feel like an afterthought when compared to the rhythm established throughout the earlier chunk of the film, are not only completely devoid of tension, they’re also missing something even more crucial: the palpable atmosphere that in The Shining was so thick, it was practically a character unto itself. In Doctor Sleep, there is no comparable atmosphere. It’s been replaced with a thin veneer of flopsweat, ably demonstrating that all work and no coherent vision makes for a movie that, if not exactly dull, could still use a little more shine.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Movie is a classic. I don’t give a fukk what NOBODY says this is legit prolly the first movie I seen in a minute that possibly surpassed the original classic. My wife don’t even fukk wit Horror movies and had to give it up to this shyt.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
It's the tone that they take, in that it's completely different from The Shining. Abra isn't consumed by her shine. Of course it affects those around her, but she takes control of it at a young age, and never lets it take her into the darkness. For me, I love the concept that a lot of people's gifts turn to curses, but some are able to rise above the perils. At least that how it hits me. Abra said "I'm not one to eff with" and took a stand. And she also tried to help others.
Her whooping ol girls ass in her head:banderas:

Daps
Anyone that didn’t like it must be hardcore fanboys or people that don’t appreciate good cinema. This is a worthy sequel that had HIGH expectations because of what it’s connected to. It delivered, IMO.
I don't think you would know what "good cinema" is if it hit you upside the head.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
It’s funny how Andy likes to think his movies are deep in interviews when they’re the complete opposite.

That’s one of the things I didn’t like about Muschietti’s take on IT - the Georgie incident didn’t feel as impactful as it should’ve been and the Losers’ encounters with Pennywise felt undermined due to the over-reliant CGI and shaky camera. Stakes just didn’t feel raised enough.

Should have been Cary Fukunaga. I tried to convince myself that him leaving the project wouldn't have too heavy of a negative effect. :snoop:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

All valid points. And I think that's why I liked it. It was never gonna match The Shining in that aspect. The eeriness was difficult to replicate without coming forced, so I love that they went in a different direction. I'm sure the book is much darker too.

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
What didn't you like about The Shining?
I disliked everything except for the cinematography. I understand why people enjoy the movie/novel, but they just didn't resonate with me, even after multiple viewings/readings. While I love horror, I find a lot of the older movies (The Exorcist, The Omen, etc.) boring. I do appreciate their importance/standing within the genre, though.