Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

Daps
Reppin
Denver
  • howd you feel ..do you need to see the first before the second or was it best komin in without seein the shining
I said this earlier in the thread, but the best way to do it is read both books, then watch both in order. That will make you really appreciate how different the shining movie was from the book, and how much of a fukking masterclass it was for mike Flanagan to make the book sequel story work with the first shining movie.

But if you don’t wanna do that, at least watch shining first.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
  • howd you feel ..do you need to see the first before the second or was it best komin in without seein the shining
It helps to know the lore of the Shining. You don't have to actually watch the movie but just know what the main myth of the hotel is.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I saw it on the airplane and my flight landed before I finished I was kinda mad. I went home and watched it all over. Then I went back and saw the shining for the 1st time. :wow:
I was on a long-ass international flight and saw the whole thing, it was a great experience. :lolbron:

I actually liked the novel a lot. Danny being a scumbag in the beginning and struggling with alcohol was really well done imo but it did lose a little steam near the end.
I've only seen the movie but I thought it was really incredible how deeply broken they made him, especially with that total a$$hole thing he did and slowly slowly building up into the kind of person that could be redeemed.

I really appreciated how long the movie was cause it gave an epic, slow-developing feel that made the entire story feel fully fleshed out.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Just finished watching this and I enjoyed it. Is there another book for them to adapt after this?

I don't know, but they left it open for a trilogy that doesn't even have to be connected to the OG Shining. I hope they don't do anything because It'll taint these 2 movies, even if it is a standalone sequel to Sleep.

Daps
I'm genuinely surprised at the positive reception this film got on here. I didn't like this, at all, and am struggling to see what everyone else is seeing.

:manny:

Last edited:

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
I don't know, but they left it open for a trilogy that doesn't even have to be connected to the OG Shining. I hope they don't do anything because It'll taint these 2 movies, even if it is a standalone sequel to Sleep.
If they can do it well then I’m all in. There’s just some the thing about a well done trilogy. They’d at minimum have to hire King as a consultant for the script. I’d be down to watch a movie about a grown Astra hunting down other members of true knot or some connected evil and taking a kid with the shining under her wing with some occasional pop ups by Danny to provide guidance. It’d bring things full circle. Especially if they can connect it to whoever built the Overlook hotel.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
I'm genuinely surprised at the positive reception this film got on here. I didn't like this, at all, and am struggling to see what everyone else is seeing.

:manny:

For me it was the fact that they showed the ruthlessness with which they went after the kids. And they didn't hide it off-screen or go crazy with loud music/over the top CGI like the IT remake.

I mean look at this scene

The Georgie scenes in IT were comical almost. The only scene close to the Dr. Sleep one I just posted was this.

If IT had more interaction like that, it would have been a better movie. And maybe that's why I was hyped after watching Dr. Sleep :hubie:

Daps
Reppin
Denver
Directors Cut makes this shyt even better.:wow: When Danny and Abra was driving to the overlook and the song starts.:banderas:
Just watched again this morning. I read that the flyover shot of the lake and the shots of the car driving through the mountains were actually taken from the shining and altered to add snow and be at night.