Votes: 52 28.4%
  • Maybe but not completely sure

Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

To me, humans are piles of DNA which houses energy. If I can get with another pile of energy (woman) and create another pile of energy (child) then "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High"

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
You ever become a Poke master?

You even gotta ask, nikka? :birdman:

giphy.gif

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Natural sciences (biology, chemistry). In order to prepare for my minor (evolutionary biology), I obviously had to take physics courses. I've always been incredibly interested in all branches of science, and my studies reflected that. But let's not get sidetracked.

Except this is not true.

First of all, we have evidence the universe exists. Second, we have evidence the big bang occurred, meaning the universe as we currently know it (14BY). Those two things being true, the layman assumes there had to be a beginning, because of our own nature. We are incredibly self-important, and arrogant, and we base everything on our own experiences. Humans are born and they die, so they assume things have a beginning and an end. It's the reason we use base 10 to count things-- 10 digits on the hands.

But the evidence that we have that suggests there was an expansion of space time (otherwise known as the Big Bang), meaning if there is currently expansion (and there IS), then at one point, that energy was at a single point.

We know for a fact that energy cannot be destroyed or created, therefore that energy has always existed, in one form or another. This is physics 101, I'm not sure why you're arguing against this concept as a physicist...

Lastly, a debate is always being had in science, and there will always be outliers that try to prove theories wrong. That's the beauty of science-- it's self correcting and always trying to better itself. I don't doubt there are cosmologists that go against the grain. But posting a few links does not refute the fact that cosmologists generally believe the Universe is eternal, especially given Einstein's formula.

If you want to refute that, I'd be happy to review your paper on it.

There are a lot of things we don't understand yet. But invoking the supernatural is a logical fallacy, called god of the gaps, which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Science isn't settled. We will simply get better at explaining this concept. For now, the idea that the Universe has always existed at least has a physics proof: energy-mass equivalence.

IF A PERSON STUDIES TOO MUCH AND EXHAUSTS HIS REFLECTIVE POWERS, HE WILL BE CONFUSED, AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO APPREHEND EVEN THAT WHICH HAD BEEN WITHIN THE POWER OF HIS APPREHENSION. FOR THE POWERS OF THE BODY ARE ALL ALIKE IN THIS RESPECT.

WHILE ONE MAN CAN DISCOVER A CERTAIN THING BY HIMSELF, ANOTHER IS NEVER ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT, EVEN IF TAUGHT BY MEANS OF ALL POSSIBLE EXPRESSIONS AND METAPHORS, AND DURING A LONG PERIOD; HIS MIND CAN IN NO WAY GRASP IT, HIS CAPACITY IS INSUFFICIENT FOR IT.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU ARE SO CAUGHT UP ON THE TECHNICAL ASPECT OF EXISTENCE THAT YOUR SOUL HAS ZERO CAPACITY FOR ANYTHING BEYOND WHAT CAN BE EXPLAINED WITH PHYSICS. ONLY SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN BEING A ROBOT. IF YOU’RE LACKING IN SPIRITUAL MATTERS, THAT IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NEED TO DISCOVER ON YOUR OWN, BECAUSE NO AMOUNT OF STUDYING WILL GET YOU THERE.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT SOME GOOD HAS COME FROM RELIANCE ON “EXPERTS,” BUT MOST OF THE BENEFITS HAVE BEEN ON A PHYSICAL LEVEL- AND MANY OF THESE HAVE ENGENDERED NEW SETS OF PROBLEMS. SPIRITUALLY, HUMANITY’S LOT HAS DWINDLED OVER TIME. THOUGH YOU MAY DOWNPLAY THAT SHORTCOMING, THIS IS A SERIOUS LAPSE OF JUDGEMENT. WERNER HEISENBERG DEMONSTRATED THAT WE MUST TAKE ALL ASPECTS OF REALITY INTO ACCOUNT IN ORDER TO GRASP THE TOTALITY OF ANY OBJECT OR EVENT, YET WE CAN NEVER KNOW ALL THE ASPECTS. THAT MEANS WE ARE IN THE DARK, NO MATTER HOW BRIGHTLY LIT THE WORLD MIGHT SEEM TO BE. IF WE HAVE THE COURAGE TO FACE FACTS, WE MUST SAY GOODBYE TO SCIENCE AS A SECURITY BLANKET, JUST AS WE EARLIER SAID GOODBYE TO WITCH DOCTORS AND CONJURERS. WE MUST RELINQUISH HOPE OF FINDING THE CAUSE OF CHAOS IN THE WORLD THROUGH OBSERVATIONAL MEANS, AND WE MUST CERTAINLY ABANDON THE IDEA OF ERADICATING CHAOS WITH THE SAME SEVERELY LIMITED MODALITIES.

THIS BEING THE CASE, WE MUST SIMPLY DEVELOP OUR SPIRITUAL POTENTIAL IN ORDER TO ESCAPE THE CHAOS OF A PURELY EMPIRICAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE UNIVERSE. THE ULTIMATE TRUTH IS THAT POWER DERIVED FROM CONCEALMENT AND THAT MERIT ON THE SPIRITUAL PLANE IS LINKED TO ANONYMITY IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD.

I’M SURE THIS WILL GO OVER YOUR HEAD AFTER YOU READ IT AND PRETEND YOU NEVER SAW IT, BUT I GENUINELY HOPE THIS MESSAGE FINDS YOU IN SOME WAY. IF NOT YOU, HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS QUESTIONING MAY READ THIS AND COMPREHEND THE MESSAGE. BUT THE MORE YOU THINK YOU KNOW, THE LESS YOU ACTUALLY DO.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
@kevm3 @MMS @Sccit

Interested in hearing what ya'll have to say on the topic
Workman said to his servant, "Hasten and bring me a shawl from the house," and it was brought instantly. He spread out this shawl on the face of the dyke, and it lay with its fastening against the water and its fringe against the grain, so that there was no way to walk along the dyke without stepping on it.

picture
Now as Peasant approached along the path used by all men, Workman called out, "Have a care, peasant, that you don't trample on my clothes!"

Said Peasant, "I will do as you wish. I will pass carefully."

--------

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
This is just... :why: :why: :why:

A supernatural being by definition cannot exist within nature. The word supernatural means OUTSIDE of nature. Once that being enters nature, by interacting with it, it ceases to be supernatural.

There is evidence we interact with a digital world (we're doing it now). Where is the evidence your god has interacted with this world? Your faith is very specific, except for when it comes to specifics...

And here's the definition for you.

THIS IS SO UNBELIEVABLY DUMB THAT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN

:dead:

I CANT BELIEVE SOME1 IN THIS THREAD CALLED HIM INTELLIGENT

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
:ehh: not to mention the "chance" presence of jupiter keeping earth safe(-r) (most of the time)

great design :mjlol:

maybe a solar-system where we were not subject to the vagaries of a proverbial shooting gallery might have been a better design ..

who knows :yeshrug:

You do realize that our existence is only possible because an asteroid impact allowed mammals to overtake dinosaurs, right?

Also, without the moon (created via asteroid impact), our climate would be horrifically unstable due to the Earth's wobble on its axis and civilization would be difficult to maintain.

Also in line with that, the tidal impact of the moon's orbit is considered foundational to the energy transfers of early Earth, formation of nucleic acids and origin of life.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a few other important benefits. So those occasional impacts have actually been profoundly useful for our society to develop.

I'd be interested to know - what do you think a "perfect well-organized universe" would actually look like? Would it still have consistent physical laws or is that too inconvenient? Would it lack all asteroids, meteorites, star development, etc.? What would make a universe "more well-organized" than the one we have, and why?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Those 1.3 billion catholics I mentioned earlier were not around 300 years before those books were put together, meaning their faith is based on the current state of the bible. This is a fact.

Again, that's nonsense. It's like saying that scientists' beliefs are based on the current state of science textbooks. You're continuing to completely confuse the faith with the recording of the record of the faith.

I honestly don't know where you got such a distorted view of Catholicism, but there are numerous very intelligent, highly educated Catholic priests who work in various teaching positions in universities. I suggest you copy-paste the relevant parts of our discussion here and send it to one of them, asking, "Does the faith practiced by Catholics fundamentally derive from a book, or does it derive from the church community?"

Or, if you want to make it more folksy, ask, "Do you think most Catholics get their faith from their Bible, or do they get it from their family, friends, and church community"?

You said "hardly anyone believes in God just because they read a book", but those 1.3 billion Catholics that exist in 2022 DO. The 1.9 billion Muslims that exist today DO. They will put a fatwah on your ass if you burn a Quran on Burn a Quran Day.

Breh, the VAST majority of Muslims can't even read or understand that book, so how can you claim their faith derived from it? They became faithful Muslims because they were born into a Muslim community that taught them the faith, not because they read it in a book.

Are you aware of a single Muslim community, anywhere, that developed independently from non-believers reading Korans rather than being spread from people sharing their faith with each other?

The *position* of the Catholic Church itself is quite irrelevant. We are talking about the adherents, remember? They believe because of what is told in their bible.

The vast majority of adherents don't even read their Bibles, and most of them believed long before they could read their Bibles. Hell, until the KJV was printed in the 1600s, most Catholics had never even seen a Bible in a language they could read. They adherents believed because they were part of a believing community or because they had personal experience of God.

Even though Bibles are available now, do you really thing the entire basis of religious experience suddenly changed in the few recent years that a large proportion of the population became literate? The vast majority of people become Christians through community and personal experience, not through reading.

That is an absolutely awful example. Physicists don't BELIEVE in the laws of physics-- they study and catalogue them. Science is a methodology by which we observe and record natural phenomena. Adherents to religions actually *believe*, meaning there is no meaningful analogy to be drawn here.

:snoop:

Breh, that's not how analogies work. You can't disqualify an analogy because two things are fundamentally different; in fact, you can ONLY make a decent analogy between two things that are fundamentally different - otherwise it would merely be a comparison, not an analogy.

For the most part scientists do in fact believe in the laws of physics, but that's totally besides the point and has zero relevance to the analogy. The point of the analogy was that you're confusing the textbook with the source. The textbook records what they believe, but the basis of those beliefs comes from elsewhere. Just like the Bible records what Christians believe, but the basis of those beliefs came from elsewhere. The Church existed BEFORE the Bible, it wasn't created by the Bible, so it's nonsense to claim that Christian belief originates from a book. The Bible was the place where they recorded the beliefs they already held, it wasn't what spurred the beliefs in the first place.

Here's an analogy that actually works: what you're doing is like saying Old English matters in a conversation about Gen Z-speak.

A better analogy is that you're trying to claim my English was derived from the Oxford Standard Dictionary, as opposed to having been learnt from a social process of conversations and dialogue of which the dictionary merely records the long-term results of. Sure, I might have read entries in a dictionary from time to time, but it would be ridiculous to claim that my ability and desire to speak English started in the dictionary itself. Just because the dictionary accurately records what the words mean doesn't mean that it is where those words originated, where most people learn them, or is at all fundamental to why people learn them.

If the Bible had never been put together into a book, and everyday Christians never had one in their home, the Catholic Church would still teach basically the same faith and people would become Catholics the same way - by being part of the Catholic Church, encountering those teachings from the mouths and pens of other Catholics, and having their own personal experience of faith. Just like they did before the Bible even existed.

Yet another fallacy. Notice you cannot find a single quote on The Coli of me using the word "fundamentalist" outside of this message?

Christian Fundamentalism is a different topic. Biblical Literalism is not the same thing as fundamentalism, although they overlap, which is why I don't blame you for making this mistake.
Catholics absolutely take the bible literally; they believe the Earth was made in 7 days ( Was the World Made in Seven Days? - Catholic Stand )

Wow, you picked a REALLY bad example. Here's the actual position of the Catholic Church:

"The Catholic Church holds no official position on the theory of creation or evolution, leaving the specifics of either theistic evolution or literal creationism to the individual within certain parameters established by the Church. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, any believer may accept either literal or special creation within the period of an actual six-day, twenty-four-hour period, or they may accept the belief that the earth evolved over time under the guidance of God."

Couple things-- you have not been arguing from a fact-based perspective. You literally invoke the supernatural within your argument, suggesting it's logical to do so, since we don't know precisely what happened before the Big Bang. That is a God of the Gaps fallacy.

I have clearly been arguing from a fact-based perspective, and that's the 3 time you've misrepresented my argument for what happened before the Big Bang. The first two times I could have given you the benefit of the doubt and said that you misread me or made a bad assumption. At this point, I'm beginning to believe that you don't even fundamentally understand my argument yet. To prove otherwise, you need to stop claiming I said things that I've never said.

My argument is not "it's logical to invoke the supernatural since we don't know precisely what happened before the Big Bang." We could learn what happened before the Big Bang and it would remain completely irrelevant to my argument, because my argument doesn't rely on an accident of missing information, it relies on the fundamental nature of spacetime and reality.

You'd comprehend me better the first time if you stopped thinking that you're just rereading arguments you've seen elsewhere, and realize for a moment that I might actually know both more about physics and more about Catholicism than you do. In other words, while I doubt your mind will be changed about God, you certainly have the opportunity to learn plenty of things in this conversation if you opened up a little and stopped treating it like high school debate club.

Second, in order for the Appeal to Motive to apply, I would have to be wrong, and attacking you without addressing the argument. I'm thoroughly addressing the relevant parts of this discussion, and it's clear that you are letting your emotion cloud your rationality.

You believe I'm saying you're getting emotional. No, I'm saying you are letting your beliefs enter the realm of rational debate. Beliefs are emotions; it's something you feel, yet we are not discussion personal feelings.

Breh, the literal title of the thread is "do you believe in God", and we are clearly ALL discussing our personal beliefs. I think I've backed up my beliefs more rationally than you have, but I'm not going to deny that my beliefs are part of it. The fact that I'm arguing on belief has nothing to do with being emotional, ALL meaningful debates involve people arguing out of their beliefs. Don't even try to pretend that your personal beliefs haven't been just as relevant to your participation in this argument as mine are, because everyone is going to see right through that.