DMX It's Dark And Hell Is Hot 20th Anniversary Thread

Daps
Word. It's a bit shocking to me people here claim IDAHIH is bonafide classic but literally I have never seen it being mentioned in "Your favorite albums" or similar threads.
But I guess it's just appeal of appreciation threads.:yeshrug:

Whenever I see threads like that and IDAHIH is overlooked I'm like...

giphy.gif
Up the threads.

bartek420

Pro
Daps

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GettyImages-2282973_x9ctze

GETTY
WHERE MY DOGS AT

When DMX Was the King of Hip-Hop
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of ‘It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot,’ Stereo Williams looks back at how the Yonkers rapper’s stunning debut changed the game.
STEREO WILLIAMS
05.13.18 3:00 AM ET

DMX crashed the platinum-coated party that was late-‘90s hip-hop and reminded fans that grit has always defined this genre and culture more than gloss. He represented realness inasmuch as any star with major label marketing behind him can represent the “real,” and he was a welcome counter to the Sting samples, multimillion-dollar videos and No Limit tanks that were defining the times. DMX’s debut album It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot, even 20 years later, is a grueling but compelling classic. And the pain and pathos behind the man who created it looks even more traumatic now than it did when he was the hottest new emcee in the game.

Everybody knows the basics: 1997 was the year of shiny-suit dominance via sparkly videos from Puffy and Ma$e; the rapper born Earl Simmons growled his way through the dancey-flossin’ anthems to reassert hardcore hip-hop in the mainstream.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads
Despite X’s legacy and how unique he seemed in 1998, hip-hop was only a couple of years removed from its darkest period. Mainstream rap of the 1990s was heavy on nihilism and fatalism—there was no shortage of “Ready to Die” or “Murder Was the Case”-style grimness.

An asthmatic, sickly childhood set young Earl back, as did the poverty his mother Arnett grappled with as she lived with her son in The Rover, a low-income apartment complex in Yonkers, New York. Earl and his mother’s relationship has been the subject of so much conversation surrounding X; she had him institutionalized as a kid, and there has always been strain between them. During an appearance on Iyanla Vanzant’s Fix My Life therapy show back in 2013, X talked about that pained history.

“The I-don’t-give-a-fukk spirit throughout ‘It’s Dark’ is forged in DMX’s bleak outlook as a young man. If he wanted it, he took it.”
“I mean, everybody wants their mother to want them,” he explained. “In one breath, I’d be mama’s little man, a man of the house. In the next breath… ‘You ain’t gonna be shyt.’ Who am I? Who am I, Mom?”

Method Man Uncensored: ‘Don’t Sh*t on Somebody’s Legacy’

Chance the Rapper’s Wildly Hypocritical Defense of Kanye

The Horrifying Sexual-Assault Case Involving Chris Brown

“When the sun is up, the gun is up on the shelf / And all the runners up are thankin’ me for their health / Hopin’ that they not around when it gets dark outside / When the sun’s goin’ down, you hear the bark outside…”

“I robbed nikkas,” DMX recalled to Rolling Stone in 2000. “I’m not ashamed of that. That’s my shyt. Robbery. I’m not a hustler. I’ve tried it. That’s not me. I’d rather do the stick-up shyt. But what got me over was, I had a rep in Yonkers. nikkas knew DMX would get ya. And I’d be straight-up robbin’ nikkas no mask or nothin’. Half of my weapon was my face. I’d just walk up to nikkas and be like, ‘Yo, lemme get that.’ I wasn’t the biggest nikka in the world. I couldn’t beat everybody, but dawg, my rep superseded me.”

That’s not unlike how DMX’s music career took off. After stints in and out of prison, X reconnected with old friend Irv Gotti, then an A&R for Def Jam Records, who pushed the rapper to label head Lyor Cohen. X was signed after a legendary impromptu performance for Cohen that featured X rapping with his jaw wired shut. As the legend goes, X’s jaw had been broken in a brawl but he wound up rhyming so intensely in this performance, he popped the wires. Def Jam scooped him up and it set DMX on the fast track to major stardom. Even before It’s Dark hit shelves in May 1998, X had become the most notorious scene-stealer in the game. He’d appeared on LL Cool J’s “4,3,2,1,” Bad Boy superstar Ma$e’s “24 Hrs to Live” and “Money, Power, Respect” by the LOX. It all ramped up anticipation for the gruff rapper with the puppy fixation to drop his debut.

Sheek Louch of the LOX appeared on another smash from Dame Grease: X’s pumping “Get At Me Dog.” Released as a single in early 1998, it announced X as a standout star. The production sounded like Public Enemy-meets-mosh pit and the video featured grainy black-and-white footage of X in a cavernous warehouse performing for a crowd. No frills, no fluff—this was a new kind of mainstream star. And he wasn’t shiny. Follow-up singles like “Stop Being Greedy” and “Ruff Ryders Anthem” cemented X in the upper echelon and made him the biggest rapper of 1998. It would eventually sell 4 million copies, and while it didn’t exactly erase glossy rap from the airwaves, it assured that grimier sounds would have a place there, as well. There hadn’t been a popular hip-hop album this unflinchingly bleak since the Notorious B.I.G.’s Ready to Die four years earlier.

The narrative presented on It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot is still harrowing and intense, 20 years later. X delved into the darkest corners of his psyche—echoing predecessors from Scarface to Biggie—and his emotional conflict became the defining characteristic of his music. Even with the chest-thumping machismo of hits like “Get At Me Dog” and the latter chart-topper “Party Up,” X was always at his most potent when he was at his most revealing. And he’s undeniably revelatory throughout his classic debut album.

GET THE BEAST IN YOUR INBOX!

By clicking “Subscribe,” you agree to have read the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

The pain in DMX’s art also reveals a brutality. His rage and wounded spirit too often point at the most vulnerable in the fictional world he creates. A hateful tale of revenge, the story-rap “X Is Coming” infamously features the rapper cast as murderous deviant—hell-bent on destroying an enemy’s spirit, to the point of raping his teenage daughter. It’s macabre and unsettling, and another example of how vengeful men—even in fiction—run to the brutalization of women to assert power and dominance. Given X’s complex and troubled history, it’s not strange to assume his contempt for his mother was manifest in some of the album’s most misogynistic moments. Men can use their mothers or their first love or any number of stand-ins on which to project their contempt for womanhood, it doesn’t explain away the kind of consistent disdain that informs even this kind of engrossing art.

We’ve seen how DMX’s story has gone. It makes all of his greatest music feel more hopeless and bitter than it seemed back then. It was always disturbing, but there seemed to be a sense that X believed he could bulldoze through his hurt with sheer force and fury. His childhood damage (“My first sexual encounter was with a relative from down South. Not really a relative, but a relative's wife. I was twelve,” he told Rolling Stone in 2000) was palpable in the music, but now it lives as a ravenous beast that he’s never bested.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-dmx-was-the-king-of-hip-hop

Daps
If you're really that curious
The Coli's "Classic" Albums
Your Top 25 albums?
Whats your top 5 best albums ever?
Can you make a Top 50 list of your favorite albums?

Some did mention it, some did not. Everyone likes what he likes so I'm not really mad at this.

I wasn't strictly talking about TheColi though
What are your top ten FAVORITE hip hop albums | Genius
Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of All Time | Genius
Top 5 Favorite Albums?
Lol @ "if you're really that curious". You're the one who said you "literally never" seen it in any favorite albums thread. Then it went from "literally never" to ok "some". Which one is it? For someone who registered in 2016, you have excellent memory of threads posted in 2013 and 2015.

You forgot these ones:

If you had to put 3-5 hip-hop albums in a time capsule for future people what would they be?

Ya Personal TOP 10 Classic Rap Albums

Last edited:

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
First album I fully listened. :blessed:
I was six years old playing Mario 64, and I used to play my sisters CD’s for background music. I remember putting this on and not understanding a word of what DarkManX was talking about :gucci: but that voice:whoa: and the shyt he was talking about was scary, yet the realest thing I had heard at the time. If it wasn’t for this album, i probably wouldn’t be in to hip-hop, shyt was gritty, vile and :demonic:. I didn’t know hip-hop could be all of that.:banderas:

Shouts to the god.:blessed:

My first memory of listening to a rap album was The Chronic(I was about 5 or 6). My older cousin had a Walkman. I asked him to listen to it. Was jamming knew the hit songs on it.

Then "bytches ain't shyt but hoes and tricks" came on and I'm like . :ohhh:

:lolbron: "momma ain't gonna like this"

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
I think one thing i love about X alot too is his live performances. He carries the same energy during his performances. Its
impossible not to feel the energy.

Speaking of IDAHIH/FOMFBOMB era;

Look at the energy when X is performing his part;

My fav part is when that "intro" kicks in..

+ Woodstock 99

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ignorance is bliss and So on sometimes it's better to be thought dumb shall I Go On:wow:

...IDAHIH:boss: is a landmark Hip-Hop masterpiece that ETHER'd the Shiny Suit Era:ahh:
Where were you when RR Anthem/Get At Me Dog/Stop Being Greedy:mj: NAPALM'd the building:damn:

Last edited:

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
living in new york i was already hyped off X and expected big things from him. as we all know he was heavy on the mixtape scene with nore and canibus so his name was ringing out. but never, ever did i expect the quality of music he delivered on this near perfect album

first time hearing it i was in the military with 3 of my homeboys. 2 from memphis and one from new orleans and they HATED new york rap lol. we were in the day room and from the first track we all just kinda looked at each other like we were in for something special. we listened in virtual silence beginning to end and agreed that we just heard a classic

admittedly i'm conflicted about one song though and thats x is coming. the rape line man smh, i cant cosign that line so i generally skip that song. pretty much like biggie with whats beef and the shyt he said about kids. thats my only gripe with x's masterpiece, other than that its a tremendous achievement

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Besides two flaws (corny ass I Can Feel It beat, bland ass Crime Story beat), this is a perfect rap album to me. X was one of the biggest music stars on the planet from this album on for a few years