DMV got one! | GoldLink - "Crew" ft. Brent Faiyaz, Shy Glizzy...HOT 100 DEBUT- GRAMMY NOMINATED!!!

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
It didn't legit start online, it was forced online with pumped up views.When I was screenshotting the inability to check his youtube stats, I knew what was up...Then his MANS hit me up telling me to stop.
Go to any of his 2012-2013 songs and try to look at the stats...It's a bit late now but they're LOCKED...and they've been LOCKED since "before" he was signed.
Ain't no real such thing as a legit online buzz without some type of fukkery boost. Real live local kids with legit buzzes who sell out local shows and are known in the dominant part of the area...don't do as many numbers, despite having the same age fanbase.
1.Fake views
2.Cacs from outerbelt exurbs pumping up the most similar artist to them
3.City nikkas being too concerned with city shyt to prevent this. Arguing and being corny.
You aren't lying. I knew of Logic back then (even met him a few times). His views were definitely faked. It's the same thing Mac Miller did a couple years prior. The game is the game though and you gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead. :manny:
You DC nikkas are some of the most persistent technical ass haters ever. :mjlol:

I lived in DC 7 years and can tell you why shyt isn't popping. A lof of the artists are too busy trying to sound like they're from my city (Atlanta) and don't use any of their extremely original slang or style (Wale does but still).
Not even trying to hate I fukk with the song but I'm not sure why they ain't just put the hook after Goldlinks verse? That's really my main gripe.

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
beat is hot

hook is hot

not a fan of goldlink's mumble flow

and when i die is one of favorite tracks from the new school in recent memory so i know this nikka is capable of more

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Literally NOBODY knew this nikka. There are dudes with a legit buzz in DC like...UPTOWN XO, who worked with me in the goddamn Advanced Auto Parts in Takoma Park.
A known artist. Who was signed to Wale...Literally FROM DC...working in an auto parts shop...
This random ass male from Virginia in a DC costume appears from nowhere. :huh:
nikkas would come into the job and recognize breh on a regular basis.
When I lived in DC...nobody knew who the fukk a Logic or Goldlink James was...minus people on the Coli...and industry people. Is that not weird? If you're on a scene, doing shows, performing, in 3 states connected to one district, and nobody knows these nikkas...
I'm sorry, but nah.
bruh...do you even like this dude's music? Thats PROBABLY why you ain't know ole dude.

You wanna be a gate-keeper, but you don't even know whats hot.

Relax.

Most of this alternative -shyt never was never getting radio play...of course mainstream lames like yourself didn't know about it.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Songs like this were getting played on Soulection YEARS ago. Theres nothing mainstream about this. Of course mainstream radio-heads would not have heard this. Its completely underground to them. You have to be checking for this sound.

This song is at least from 2014.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Man get this clown out of here
Goldlink & The New Myth of the Organic Artist - DJBooth Article

GoldLink used the word “organic” during his interview with Rosenberg to describe his early success through Soundcloud. His first song, “Electric Relaxation,” achieved 30,000 plays within a month. An unknown artist with no buzz or co-signs able to do astounding numbers without lifting a finger. He didn’t have an answer for how, no organized plans, and no marketing strategies. He then continued with his story, how the next few releases did even bigger numbers, 60K, 100K, numbers that Troy Ave has wet dreams about. It’s not possible I thought, it’s not that easy I thought. I know he named his album God Complex but the feat he’s describing is almost more astounding than walking on water. In the age of honesty, we are truth seekers. It’s a natural nosiness that was developed when the walls of separation were wrecked by social media. Artists, especially in hip-hop, are expected to be real and authentic. The infatuation with authenticity comes from believing that the music artists make in hip-hop is sacred. Lyrics are believed, images are taken seriously, in life or in the music industry, all stories are true. If there were laws attached to the culture, one would state that all frauds be beheaded. Off with his head I thought.

About Logic:

Bruh...His label, before it was revealed he was signed to Def Jam, turned the stats off on the youtube videos. Then a person I will not name, who was being flown out to "work with" breh...told me to stop talking about it on facebook because I was fukking up paper. "You should really chill on trying to expose people you never know who's watching your social media, that's how you miss opportunities. Just be diplomatic" ON MY LIFE...if it wasn't those exact words, it was something similar.
I'm not screenshotting my inbox...This was years ago. Nobody KNEW THAT MAN...when I lived in MOCO...Nobody KNEW THAT MAN when I lived in PG...NOBODY KNEW THAT MAN besides y'all and the one dude who worked at Listen Vision studios Uptown DC...and no longer works there.
That's all I'm giving you. shyt fake.
this is absolute bullshyt.

Theres artists on souncloud who do this shyt REGULARLY.

You lames keep forgetting the age you live in.

MOST new artists have that instant fame...and Goldlink has been grinding for AGES.

You wanna talk about plants? Go holler at G-Eazy.

Goldlink ain't a plant. he's a goddamn root that put in work.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Thanks for posting breh. I like gold link but I found his immediate appearsnce and ascension suspect, Mainly cuz I'm decently plugged Into the DMV scene so I know about who's making noise. I never heard or saw breh or heard him being mentioned anywhere before he popped off so the whole thing was just 'curious' to me. At least with logic, I'd hear people talking about him, but even then that was still prolly early on once his team started a real hard push for him.

You do really need a team around you to make some noise and get a footing in this music biz. I def understand that, and I'll still salute people who can get that going, cuz finding a team to work together with one goal like that, especially in DC, is tough.
you plugged in...but you don't hear about artists I've been playing for 3+ years? Whose fault is that?

Next, ya'll gonna say dudes like Phil Ade are plants if they happen to score a hit :stopitslime:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I've been listening to gold link for almost 4 years stfu
PRECISELY.

If you've listened to Soulection, you've heard Goldlink for at least that long.

If Goldlink is a plant, his team fukking sucks.
Dude has been trying to score mainstream success for a long ass time.

aboveclouds

All Star
Daps
Heard this song on the Apple music Hip Hop playlist few months back and been bumping it ever since. Didn't know he was a DMV dude tho :ohhh:

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
you plugged in...but you don't hear about artists I've been playing for 3+ years? Whose fault is that?

Next, ya'll gonna say dudes like Phil Ade are plants if they happen to score a hit :stopitslime:

i think you misread what i wrote. ive been in dc for years, and right across the water before that, and i never seen goldlink out chillin at no shows, no one talkin about him in DC/MD/VA, until he burst on the scene a few years back.

if he just blew up on soundcloud and then went national, thats fine, my statement was, he wasnt making any noise in the actual DMV before he popped off with The God Complex. if you heard of him and were seeing him at shows in DC pre-2014, then i retract my statement. but if you dont life here, then fall back.

i also dont remember directing my statement at you, so kindly see yourself to the bushes.

if phil ade scores a hit, ill be happy, since hes been grinding it out for 6-8 years. i remember his first tape. but hes been out working in LA for awhile at this point, so hes kinda moot from this whole discussion.

even if logic is a plant, his team did it correctly, cuz he was still doing big shows in DC before he publicly signed with def jam. i remember the buzz around him being crazy, but as RSG MEta or someone else said, the people talking about Logic werent people in the city, but alot of the young kids in the suburbs. i dont see any issue with that, as its pretty obvious that might be his demographic.

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i think you misread what i wrote. ive been in dc for years, and right across the water before that, and i never seen goldlink out chillin at no shows, no one talkin about him in DC/MD/VA, until he burst on the scene a few years back.

if he just blew up on soundcloud and then went national, thats fine, my statement was, he wasnt making any noise in the actual DMV before he popped off with The God Complex. if you heard of him and were seeing him at shows in DC pre-2014, then i retract my statement. but if you dont life here, then fall back.

i also dont remember directing my statement at you, so kindly see yourself to the bushes.

if phil ade scores a hit, ill be happy, since hes been grinding it out for 6-8 years. i remember his first tape. but hes been out working in LA for awhile at this point, so hes kinda moot from this whole discussion.

even if logic is a plant, his team did it correctly, cuz he was still doing big shows in DC before he publicly signed with def jam. i remember the buzz around him being crazy, but as RSG MEta or someone else said, the people talking about Logic werent people in the city, but alot of the young kids in the suburbs. i dont see any issue with that, as its pretty obvious that might be his demographic.
Bruh, I'm really not trying to hear it.

I don't live in the DMV...but I'll let you police your own area.

What I know is that I've been a goldlink follower for AT LEAST 4 years via Soulection. Period.

And if ya'll don't know what that is, then you're already late to the most influential internet movement of the last decade, IMO.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
Bruh, I'm really not trying to hear it.

I don't live in the DMV...but I'll let you police your own area.

What I know is that I've been a goldlink follower for AT LEAST 4 years via Soulection. Period.

And if ya'll don't know what that is, then you're already late to the most influential internet movement of the last decade, IMO.

i know what soulection is, i know what soundcloud is. and ive heard of goldlink for the last 3 years, so kudos on knowing about him from the internet a year before me. you must feel proud.

all i said was, he wasnt out here and he wasnt known IN THE DC AREA before he released his first tape.

being big on the internet is one thing, and buzzing in your city or other cities, is another.

one isnt necessarily more important than the other, but to act like he was on cuz you heard of him via some soulection mixes in 2013, is ducktales, and corny.