DMV got one! | GoldLink - "Crew" ft. Brent Faiyaz, Shy Glizzy...HOT 100 DEBUT- GRAMMY NOMINATED!!!

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland

:mjlol: DJBooth.
they even had to edit the piece.

Nathan S. Update: After posting this story, some people put us onto the fact that Goldlink was previously putting out music as Goldlink James as early as 2012. With rare exception, like "Gutter Glitter," "Black Ski Mask" and "Facelift" his music and identity as Goldlink James has been largely erased - his Bandcamp, Twitter and Facebook have been closed down - and it appears that he relaunched his career as Goldlink (without the James) with "Electronic Relaxation" as the first released song under the new name and with a new emphasis on anonymity.

but yeah with all that being said Goldlink is prolly a failed plant to extent.

Goldlink music is decent..i used to get him mixed up with GrandeMarshall.
his newer stuff w/ Soulection suited his music but Fools Gold would've got Dance On Me moving nicely.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
:mjlol: DJBooth.
they even had to edit the piece.

Nathan S. Update: After posting this story, some people put us onto the fact that Goldlink was previously putting out music as Goldlink James as early as 2012. With rare exception, like "Gutter Glitter," "Black Ski Mask" and "Facelift" his music and identity as Goldlink James has been largely erased - his Bandcamp, Twitter and Facebook have been closed down - and it appears that he relaunched his career as Goldlink (without the James) with "Electronic Relaxation" as the first released song under the new name and with a new emphasis on anonymity.

but yeah with all that being said Goldlink is prolly a failed plant to extent.

Goldlink music is decent..i used to get him mixed up with GrandeMarshall.
his newer stuff w/ Soulection suited his music but Fools Gold would've got Dance On Me moving nicely.
Literally NOBODY knew this nikka. There are dudes with a legit buzz in DC like...UPTOWN XO, who worked with me in the goddamn Advanced Auto Parts in Takoma Park.
A known artist. Who was signed to Wale...Literally FROM DC...working in an auto parts shop...
This random ass male from Virginia in a DC costume appears from nowhere. :huh:
nikkas would come into the job and recognize breh on a regular basis.
When I lived in DC...nobody knew who the fukk a Logic or Goldlink James was...minus people on the Coli...and industry people. Is that not weird? If you're on a scene, doing shows, performing, in 3 states connected to one district, and nobody knows these nikkas...
I'm sorry, but nah.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Literally NOBODY knew this nikka. There are dudes with a legit buzz in DC like...UPTOWN XO, who worked with me in the goddamn Advanced Auto Parts in Takoma Park.
A known artist. Who was signed to Wale...Literally FROM DC...working in an auto parts shop...
When I lived in DC...nobody knew who the fukk a Logic or Goldlink James was...minus people on the Coli...and industry people. Is that not weird? If you're on a scene, doing shows, performing, in 3 states connected to one district, and nobody knows these nikkas...
I'm sorry, but nah.

Fam... uptown been "buzzing" for a brick and it happened yet lol

Logic is outta here... he's got the flame now whether he earned it organically or not

Wale seems like he's losing steam

Shy Glizzy Fat Trel and spinrilla gang of "artists" have also lost steam

I want that area to win so bad but it doesn't seem like they have any kind of hip hop identity

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
I'm sorry, but nah.

oh i'm not disputing any of that. i was just moaning about DJBooth..they stay with some terrible articles.
first i heard Goldlink might have been through Ryan Hemsworth or some shyt. like i said i thought he was someone else to begin with.

rich

Pro
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
I heard of Swipey before I knew who Goldlink was.. that kid would've been out of here but the city had to claim another one

Daps
Reppin
NULL
DMV always gonna have an identity crisis when these publications keep calling the next hiphop artist the first
when people like Kokayi and Oddisee are like vets at this point
they have literally been travelling the world working with grammy folks and putiing on since the late 20th century ffs

a big part of it is also soon as a DMV artists gets their momentum going they move base and HQ out of a bigger market (LA,ATL,NYC,London)

so many big artist from DC area but you'd never know

MK25toLife

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sorry, but nah.

I don't know anything about Goldlink but Logic is an internet rapper so it makes sense. His fanbase started online and spread offline, not vice versa.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I don't know anything about Goldlink but Logic is an internet rapper so it makes sense. His fanbase started online and spread offline, not vice versa.
It didn't legit start online, it was forced online with pumped up views.When I was screenshotting the inability to check his youtube stats, I knew what was up...Then his MANS hit me up telling me to stop.
Go to any of his 2012-2013 songs and try to look at the stats...It's a bit late now but they're LOCKED...and they've been LOCKED since "before" he was signed.
Ain't no real such thing as a legit online buzz without some type of fukkery boost. Real live local kids with legit buzzes who sell out local shows and are known in the dominant part of the area...don't do as many numbers, despite having the same age fanbase.
1.Fake views
2.Cacs from outerbelt exurbs pumping up the most similar artist to them
3.City nikkas being too concerned with city shyt to prevent this. Arguing and being corny.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
3.City nikkas being too concerned with city shyt to prevent this. Arguing and being corny.

THIS.......

this is the MAIN thing holding DMV area back. I have lived all over the US and there are three places that stress county lines way too hard:

Bay Area
Atlanta Metro
DC area

With DC area being the worst offender and lowest earner.

The regional thing should always be important in reppin various territories/styles but not to the point of it cannibalizing the whole scene/genre.
Thats why ATL and Bay Area have a thriving scene/identity while DC got too many outside voices calling the shots.
Plus it aint really dodge city/chocolate city like it used to be.
That makes a big difference.

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
Regarding the song in OP, man they fukked it up. Dude slummed the 2nd part of the hook and why not do a regular hook-16-hook-16-hook instead they did hook-16-16-hook end of the song...smh. It could have been a banger if they would have just stuck to a regular song structure.

You DC nikkas are some of the most persistent technical ass haters ever. :mjlol:

I lived in DC 7 years and can tell you why shyt isn't popping. A lof of the artists are too busy trying to sound like they're from my city (Atlanta) and don't use any of their extremely original slang or style (Wale does but still).

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
I'm sorry, but nah.

kinda, but youre also talking about years ago at this point. XO was buzzing in like 2009-2011. of course goldlink wouldnt have been around 6-8 years ago making any noise in the city. in fact, around the time that XO was buzzing, there was a TON of dope artists in DC that had potential to break out, but :mjcry:

i feel you on his plant status, but XO is not the comparison to make. if anything you should be comparing goldlink to lightshow or glizzy in terms of time period, cuz hes a more recent artist.

that said, his potential plant status is still valid. i just wonder how cats get plugged in like that, cuz DC aint really a music hub, so how does a cat like goldlink connect with a team to help put him on?

You DC nikkas are some of the most persistent technical ass haters ever. :mjlol:

I lived in DC 7 years and can tell you why shyt isn't popping. A lof of the artists are too busy trying to sound like they're from my city (Atlanta) and don't use any of their extremely original slang or style (Wale does but still).

:ehh:

dc is def a crab in the barrel city for the rap scene

but DC has a buncha different styles of rap goin on. some cats (a growing number) do try to build off that atlanta sound, there's still plenty of DC cats doing their own unique thing. DC is still finding its rap style. wale fused it with go-go some, but it didnt really stick i guess. the newer kids, while knowing about and growing up some with gogo, dont have it in their face as much as the older generations, so id say DC will hopefully find its own unique sound soon enough, but atlanta has influenced everyone at this point, so its pointless to hate on dc for following the rest of the country.

however, theres not a real unifying element to the scene, so the scene is basically a buncha different crews, who dont overlap, and everyone does their own thing.

its been getting a little better recently with local orgs like OneLoveMassive teaming up with some of the different groups in the city, but thats just kinda how it is out here. people dont work together. its not beef, its just :yeshrug:

i feel like we do have our own unique slang, and it gets used A LOT around here, but it should be used in the music more, cuz dc slang is dope:wow: