"DJ Hollywood and his crowd were the first rapping to the beat, not Herc's crowd" - Melle Mel

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
it's known to the people who where there but unknown an ignored by people who believe in 100% the herc myth

the article states that Coke La Rock was talking on the mic w/o syncopation i.e. NOT RAPPING (in 1973 for Herc/coke....Hollywood was in 1971); exactly what melle mel, caz, flash and countless others have all said

exactly. because though hip hop evolution on netflix is flawed journalism, there are a lot of jewels in there. for instance when the cornball host named shad asked coke la rock what types of stuff he would say on the mic at herc's parties as the first purported rapper it was not traditional rapping by any standards bro. it was more of a 60's black radio DJ/muhammad ali rhyming that didn't follow any discernible rhyming patterns over a hip hop beat. naw, that would be hollywood just like the game you're laying down here for us. that was rapping not coke, facts

and remember in the same episode when shad asked russell simmons who the first emcee was without hesitation he said it was dj hollywood so fukk what nikkas talking about. he said this with 100% confidence right in the documentary that was bigging up coke as the first lmao. i mean we KNOW russell was there why he got to lie? it wasn't herc, bam, and them... nah

but maybe since nikkas felt some type of way about hollywood working out of clubs that they couldn't get into & looking down on breakdancing & floor rocking (i have argued that this is NOT a pillar of hip hop) i believe (pure conjecture and my own personal opinion) that since they had flash and fab 5 freddy from their ecosystem, thus access to white punk rockers, blondie, and of course white journalists? they bogard-ed all credit for themselves to slight hollywood and them stuck up getting money hustler disco tech nikkas as revenge lmao. and now the lie has become bigger than ever and a part of hip hop lore so they like fukk it, this is how we eat and we love the glory. we can't let it rock like that bullshyt about how hip hop was invented in kingston and san juan lol

but yo, if hip hop did NOT start august 11th, 1973 but actually earlier? oh dear god :dead: thanks for all this info bro, i am honestly blown away right now :salute:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
exactly. because though hip hop evolution on netflix is flawed journalism, there are a lot of jewels in there. for instance when the cornball host named shad asked coke la rock what types of stuff he would say on the mic at herc's parties as the first purported rapper it was not traditional rapping by any standards bro. it was more of a 60's black radio DJ/muhammad ali rhyming that didn't follow any discernible rhyming patterns over a hip hop beat. naw, that would be hollywood just like the game you're laying down here for us. that was rapping not coke, facts

facts

and remember in the same episode when shad asked russell simmons who the first emcee was without hesitation he said it was dj hollywood so fukk what nikkas talking about. he said this with 100% confidence right in the documentary that was bigging up coke as the first lmao. i mean we KNOW russell was there why he got to lie? it wasn't herc, bam, and them... nah

more facts

but maybe since nikkas felt some type of way about hollywood working out of clubs that they couldn't get into & looking down on breakdancing & floor rocking (i have argued that this is NOT a pillar of hip hop) i believe (pure conjecture and my own personal opinion) that since they had flash and fab 5 freddy from their ecosystem, thus access to white punk rockers, blondie, and of course white journalists? they bogard-ed all credit for themselves to slight hollywood and them stuck up getting money hustler disco tech nikkas as revenge lmao. and now the lie has become bigger than ever and a part of hip hop lore so they like fukk it, this is how we eat and we love the glory. we can't let it rock like that bullshyt about how hip hop was invented in kingston and san juan lol

BINGO!
but yo, if hip hop did NOT start august 11th, 1973 but actually earlier? oh dear god :dead: thanks for all this info bro, i am honestly blown away right now :salute:

HipHop was around before 1973......the first bboys are from around 1969-1971, again by Herc's own admission, something that Kurtis Blow even called hiphop historians out on!:

Herc:

When did you start to get involved in it?

I started to get involved in it right after my house got burned down. I was going to parties back then, see. A place called the Tunnel and a place called the Puzzle, right on 161st Street – that was the first disco I used to party at. Me, guys like Phase 2, Stay High, Sweet Duke, Lionel 163 – all the early graffiti writers – used to come through there. It’s where we used to meet up and party at.

Then, years later, [there was this club] called Disco Fever. Disco Fever used to be right here on 167th. But before Disco Fever there was the Puzzle. That was the first Bronx disco.

So back then you still weren’t playing?

I was dancing, I was partying. Right around 1970, I’m in high school.

That was when b-boying was starting?

Yeah, people were dancing, but they weren’t calling it b-boying. That was just the break, and people would go off. My terms came in after I started to play – I called them b-boys. Guys just used to breakdance… Right then, slang was in, and we shortened words down. Instead of disrespect, you know, you dissed me. That’s where that came from.

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

to add to that, kurtis blow says he saw/heard bboying and hiphop was around in 71 before herc's parties in 73

What do you consider the anniversary of Hip-Hop?

Kurtis Blow: Hip-Hop, to me, started around 1971, 1972. When I was thirteen years old, I gave my first party as a DJ at my good friend - Tony Rome's - 13th birthday party. I put two component sets together (back in the day, a component set was a TV, a radio, an 8 track player and a record player). So I took my mom’s component set and I took it to his house where his mom had a component set. We put both of them together and we had continuous music... and it was awesome. Awesome party. That was way before I knew that there were 2 turntables, and mixing, and continuous music that way. But in '72 I had this idea - We’re going to do this thing nonstop where we wouldn’t have to talk in-between the records and we could just make it happen. And so that was that was the first time I actually DJ'd. I was also was a B-Boy in 1972. But no disrespect to Kool Herc. If we want to claim that the start of Hip-Hop is 1973, I’ll go with it. And big ups to Kool Herc and that very first party, that back to school jam he gave with his sister Cindy back in 1973.

Kurtis Blow | Q&A | Celebrating 40 Years of Hip-Hop | PBS

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They are all founders . There is a difference between originators and pioneers. Herc is the originator and anyone after is a pioneer. They just added on.

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
HipHop was around before 1973......the first bboys are from around 1969-1971, again by Herc's own admission, something that Kurtis Blow even called hiphop historians out on!:

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

to add to that, kurtis blow says he saw/heard bboying and hiphop was around in 71 before herc's parties in 73

Kurtis Blow | Q&A | Celebrating 40 Years of Hip-Hop | PBS

now you see that is the wrong attitude by kurtis, c'mon legend of course it matters. don't just run with 1973 in order to not offend herc. we need to know the truth in our history (as in hip hop, yall foundationals know i'm foreign flag) because i'm telling you this... once you let one lie slide?

all of a sudden bob dylan is the father of hip hop. i know how them ofays work, very systematic and methodical. they will use idiots like busta and dougie fresh to get what they want. elders like kurtis have to take hold of what exactly happened and speak that truth

Daps
it's known to the people who were there but unknown an ignored by people who believe in 100% the herc myth

the article states that Coke La Rock was talking on the mic w/o syncopation i.e. NOT RAPPING (in 1973 for Herc/coke....Hollywood was in 1971); exactly what melle mel, caz, flash and countless others have all said

:dahell:

I've never heard anyone claim differently though. Every single thing I've ever heard about or read regarding Coke La Rock and the dudes involved early on at Herc's parties says the same thing.

Even that Hip-Hop Evolution series on Netflix that came out a few years ago interviewing Caz, Coke, Mel, etc says the same thing. Who's been disputing that?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:dahell:

I've never heard anyone claim differently though. Every single thing I've ever heard about or read regarding Coke La Rock and the dudes involved early on at Herc's parties says the same thing.

Even that Hip-Hop Evolution series on Netflix that came out a few years ago interviewing Caz, Coke, Mel, etc says the same thing. Who's been disputing that?

:dwillhuh: you must have not been following the hiphop origin story going back to the 1980s

Daps
:dwillhuh: you must have not been following the hiphop origin story going back to the 1980s

Are we talking about two different things here? I've seriously never heard anyone claim that these early to mid-70s cats were "rapping" as we now know it, but rather a link in the chain of how rapping and MCing evolved. It's why in every hip-hop documentary they always eventually credit The Last Poets and Gil Scot-Heron or Muhammad Ali as being the earliest innovators of "rapping". But I've honestly never heard Coke La Rock or any of the elders claim he or his contemporaries hopped on the mic spitting bars and verses.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Are we talking about two different things here? I've seriously never heard anyone claim that these early to mid-70s cats were "rapping" as we now know it, but rather a link in the chain of how rapping and MCing evolved. It's why in every hip-hop documentary they always eventually credit The Last Poets and Gil Scot-Heron or Muhammad Ali as being the earliest innovators of "rapping". But I've honestly never heard Coke La Rock or any of the elders claim he or his contemporaries hopped on the mic spitting bars and verses.

When we speak of who created "rapping" as we know it, we're talking syncopated to the beat. The typical story was that Herc and Coke brought toasting to NYC via Jamaica and birthed hiphop. This is why people always tried to link rapping to the likes of U Roy

and jamaica via Herc and Coke (who they thought was Jamaican but is actually of North Carolinian heritage)

the counter argument to the Herc myth was that Hollywood and the so-called "disco rappers" were the ones who pioneered modern rapping (syncopated to the beat) w/ 2 turntables and mixer

6kgsWjf.png

and

A bit more on the differences between the Disco Dj's and the Herc scenes and how they impacted the formation of HipHop

From the article below:

"In contrast to Herc's pulled-ups and needle drops, disco dj's favored smooth segues from track to track. They also tended to rap in a more mellifluous style, relating directly, if casually, to the steady beats of the music they were playing, and stringing together long verse like presentations of their own set of stock phrases rather than the freer, more fragmented interjections of the Herculords and their streetwise colleagues. The next generation of hiphop Dj's and Mc's would synthesize these distinct strands, refining (if not outright commercializing) "street" style while bringing in a harder edge to the smooth surfaces of club rap and disco djing."

1p26auz.png

tCBxFQJ.png

International S.

"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Daps
Reppin
Portsmouth, VA
I remember back in the day...back in the 80's my hustlin ass neighbor had this tape he would play every friday night

on it was DJ Hollywood doing a cover of Keni Burke - Keep Rising to the Top

he says some shyt like

"I would like to get to know you...and rock your waterbed"

been on my mind lately...I know its some oldheads who got it

got me feeling like al bundy out chea

Last edited: