Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
As much as he gets unwarranted flack because it became "cool" to like him after he died, man Dilla was fukking INCREDIBLE!!!!!! It can't be denied. Duke was ill man. Those slum village cds got me through college back in 01. Some of beats sound so simple but try to remake them shyts. My dumbass tried to remake the intro to donuts thinking it was a simple loop but he chopped that shyt to perfection! Then the little brother joint by mos def and talib.. how the fukk did he pick those perfect spots within that Roy Ayers record to totally make a new beat? Like he is just not taking bits and pieces or finding loops, naw. This nikka is going into these records and totally reconstructing new loops and sounds. It's just :ohhh::ehh::wow::takedat::blessed::feedme::dwillhuh::patrice:

All in one reaction. Dilla was ill. And fukk the nerds. I still retell this but it's just hilarious that every super lyrical nerd was rhyming about quasars and human plight over Dilla beats then they hear the man himself rap about regular nikka shyt: bytches, fly whips, chains, weed and Detroit life. Dilla was ill. He is missed.
Well said.
:salute:

I consider him one of the most innovative producers to ever grace hip-hop because of his variety in what he sampled, and how he sampled it. It really set the tone for the mid to late 90s as synths and drum machines were starting to gain precedence over samples. He did both. He bridged the gap between analog and digital.

But speaking of how Dilla sampled and what he sampled, I still am just :mindblown:at how he got this

From this:

It doesn't make any sense!!!!!!

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Dilla sampling Kraftwerk

That's the legacy of Detroit right there.
Black Djs in Detroit broke Kraftwerk in America in 1981.
Seems like Black America was the first to embrace Kraftwerk from A Number of Names to Afrika Bambatta & Planet Patrol.
But that was the nature of hip-hop in general. Take things already existing and flip em.
Like kids breaking to "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
Well when I was learning how to make beats on my MPC2500, my mentor told me something like Dilla was chopping the joints on the drum breaks. Meaning he was listening to the sample and chop right where the drum and snares are. I think Pete Rock was doing something similar.